Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 AM

84 posts, read 333,448 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about renting a place for a little while in downtown Anchorage and was wondering how walkable it is? I won't have access to a vehicle if I fly out there, and need to know if I'll be able to get by (groceries, coffee shops, restaurants, etc.) without a vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
well, yes and no. It depends on where you are living. I am on the east side, so I can walk to the grocery store and the post office from my house. There is also a Holiday Gas Station with a RedBox if I needed a movie. But if I wanted anything else, I'd be better off taking the bus, especially in the winter. With the bus I am at the mercy of the system, which I know little about but heard they are cutting back on the routes and times. However, the bus system should be able to take me just about anywhere.

Now, you mentioned "downtown" assuming you mean somewhere along a Letter street or a 3-10 Numbered Street, then you will have a lot of neat things to see and do in that area but I'm not sure there are any grocery stores in that area. (there is a Carrs on the edge of Fairview)

Personally, given the fact that the Municipality of Anchorage is the size of Delaware, I'd have a vehicle.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
A vehicle is a must.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:37 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,532 times
I stayed at the youth hostel in downtown Anchorage this year. What the other folks said is right...there is no grocery shopping downtown (at least not that was in walking distance of the hostel). But, within walking distance I either went to or saw...restaurants, bars, small public park, dry cleaning, Office Max (or Depot?), laudromats, coffee shops, fed ex/ups type store and a museum. There is a also a department store downtown, as well as other knick knack shops. I had to take a taxi to get to a grocery store. I would think for the money you'd be saving by not maintaining a car, you could either take a taxi to do the essentials like groceries or rent a car for the occasional weekend/day to get out of town/run errands. I think I paid around $35 a day for my rental when I went down to the Kenai. This was in January of this year.

I wouldn't want to do this as a long term solution, but for a few weeks or 3 or 4 months it would be pretty doable, at least for me. After that point I'd want a vehicle just to be able to go where and when I wanted without the rental/taxi hassle.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
New Sagaya City Market is within walking distance to downtown. It has a lot of ethnic and health foods, fresh vegetables, fresh meats, dairy & is well known for it's fresh fish, bakery & coffee! It's more expensive than Carrs, Super Walmart or Fred Meyers but it has quality selections.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
If you can make the PeopleMover work for ya good luck. Lots of them use it. Price isn't too bad.

People Mover

Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 PM

84 posts, read 333,448 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I buy mostly veggies and fruit when I go to the grocery store, so the New Sagaya City Market might be the ticket...

Old 11-14-2010, 09:40 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
You need a car to live in Anchorage year round.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
Based on living in Anchorage for a "little while" you'll be fine without a car. A bike is nice during the summer and the busses have quick fit bike racks. Anchorage is a bit fragmented but certainly walkable. Downtown Anchorage is on the west side of the municipality. From there the Midtown area is about 3 miles from downtown heading south. Anchorage is easy to navigate. A GPS is alwasy nice to have.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
How walkable is Anchorage. Well... honestly if the weather is nice, you live in downtown its an ok walkable city. It's a much more bikeable city IMO than walkable. So here is a breakdown based on bikeable as a city.

Summer 100%

Winter 75%

Really cold or snowy winter day 5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage