Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times

Advertisements

Have a look at those pictures I posted in the AK forum. I just spent 6 days driving around AK and the views are awesome. The roads are great. And it should not take 2 weeks to drive from Maryland to AK. Maybe a week if you stop and get a room everynight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
hmmmm, drives around Alaska scenic???

taken near Ted Stevens International Airport

Glenn Highway just outside Glennallen

Seward Highway-Turnagain Arm

Richardson Highway

The Pipeline and the Richardson

Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 AM

203 posts, read 960,329 times
Yep, AK has some beautiful spots!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MomDadbaby/anything%20and%20everything/mountains.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/MomDadbaby/anything%20and%20everything/stepsandstairs.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 8,770 times
[quote=Glitch;1384048]Rance is right, fall is definately the prettiest season of the year. Driving from Maryland would be more expensive than flying, but also a gorgeous drive.

The cost of living in Anchorage is slightly higher than you're used to, but the wages are slightly higher as well. The unemployment rate is currently 6.5% in Anchorage. You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding an entry level position. quote]

Hello i just drove up here from kc in sept. my advice to you is to fly if at all possible. The exchange rate for the us to Canada dollar has tanked so they are even right now. And Canada is MUCH MUCH more expensive than the us to drive in. The drive is also physically and mentally hard on you if your doing it alone like i did.

If you do choose to drive my advice spend as much time as possible in the us with the cheaper yes cheaper prices on almost everything..

If you do drive be prepared at the boarder crossing you will be surprised at how long it can take just to cross into Canada, once you are in Canada it takes forever to get across it. It was a shock to me how large Canada is and how poorly some of the roads where maintained.

The leg from whitecourt, to Whitehorse in the Yukon was exp. difficult and it snowed on me at fort nelson in sept.

As for finding a job it took me four weeks, 28 applications, and three interviews to get a low paying entry level job at a grocery store. I was completely unprepared to be out of work for a month. So save up at least two months worth of bills in advance, just encase.

It is a wonderful opportunity to live here in Alaska but as with all things it will be what you make of it.

Good luck and God bless

Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akankie View Post
As for finding a job it took me four weeks, 28 applications, and three interviews to get a low paying entry level job at a grocery store. I was completely unprepared to be out of work for a month. So save up at least two months worth of bills in advance, just encase.
Good advice. The drive up the AlCan can certainly be draining, particularly if you plan on driving 8 to 10 hours every day. As akankie pointed out, Canada is quite large, and so is Alaska. Canada's idea of a "paved road" doesn't quite measure up to what you are used to in the lower-48. If you plan on driving, pace yourself or you will become fatigued after a few days. Expect a cracked windshield or broken headlight and you probably won't be disappointed.

It is best if you already have a job waiting when you arrive, but if you don't then be financially prepared to be out of work for awhile. Check out the classified section of the Anchorage Daily News and the Alaska Job Center daily. As I'm sure you are aware, finding a job is fulltime work in itself, but in the end, if you are determined, I'm sure you will be successful.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage