Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 AM

50 posts, read 210,475 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if Fairbanks would be up my alley. I could certainly go for the summer temperatures, but the winter extremes would likely be a bit too extreme for me and my family. My mom lived there for 4 years in the mid-60's and talks about frostbite, -50 and -60 temperatures, etc. I'm not sure I could hack cold weather that far south on the thermometer... Anchorage, yes. Fairbanks, probably not. It would seem any and all outdoor activities would pretty much be eliminated for a couple months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,856,587 times
I've heard outdoor activity in and around Fairbanks happens all year long, except for in the most very extreme cold.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 AM

If you like good seasonal variation, with snow in the winter and summers that are reliably clear, dry, and warm to hot, why not consider Spokane?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,087,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I've heard outdoor activity in and around Fairbanks happens all year long, except for in the most very extreme cold.
Most outdoor minded folks in the interior will go out down to about -20. The level of preparation for that is similar to getting out in Seattle when it's 40 above and raining. A little uncomfortable, but safe and worthwhile if you do it right. Some go out well below -20, but the fun:work ratio takes a real dive at that point... In southcentral (Anchorage), people seem to get out a lot less when it hits zero. Not just because we're wimps I guess.. The higher humidity and almost always slightly breezy weather make zero in Anchorage feel a lot like -20 in Fairbanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Yes, -20 is what I'm sure I've heard before too. And that its a dry cold makes it easier, just as a dry heat is easier to tolerate than a humid heat.

Its interesting that you compare it to 40 above and raining in Seattle. I am so tired of the rain. Quite honestly, it can be as cold as it wants, as cloudy as it wants, it can snow or hail, just don't rain on parade! Lol. (Also detest humidity, especially when its hot).

I would love to experience a year (or more) in Fairbanks. Would be quite an experience with the temperature and daylight extremes, as well as just fun to explore and play, both in a winter wonderland, and also a nice, warm, tshirt and shorts day!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM

50 posts, read 210,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
If you like good seasonal variation, with snow in the winter and summers that are reliably clear, dry, and warm to hot, why not consider Spokane?
The climate would probably be right up my alley, but it wouldn't have the frontier surroundings similar to Alaska that have such a pull on me right now. I've been to Spokane before and apart from being close to beautiful Idaho and Montana, I don't care for it.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLancelot911 View Post
The climate would probably be right up my alley, but it wouldn't have the frontier surroundings similar to Alaska that have such a pull on me right now. I've been to Spokane before and apart from being close to beautiful Idaho and Montana, I don't care for it.
Cle Elum, Roslyn, Leavenworth, Wenatchee, Cashmere, Chelan, or something in Okanogan county (or any of the north eastern Washington counties) might be right up your alley then.

But I must admit, as stunningly beautiful as Washington state is, there is just something about Alaska that just screams out even more extreme beauty. A big part of what also draws me to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage