Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 PM

20 posts, read 50,651 times

Advertisements

So here is my problem - My parents are making their first visit to AK this summer. I've only been here since late August myself. I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to entertain them - they will be here from June 6th through the 12th. My parents are both in their 60's but my mother isn't able to walk long distances because of a car accident many years ago. They really don't do much outdoor stuff so hiking, camping, biking etc are pretty much out. I am interested in showing them things/experiences that are unique to Alaska. We don't have a huge budget either. I have a dog and probably won't be able to leave her alone overnight (actually now that I'm thinking about it we might be able to leave her alone one night but my parents have already made their hotel reservations so they won't be willing to stay overnight out of town) - anyway so what I'm trying to say is that everything needs to be day trips from Anchorage (so Fairbanks, Juneau, Sitka etc are out). I think I'd like to take them to Seward - what should we do there? They don't really travel much and I really want to keep them busy while they are here. I'm already stressing out about this and I could totally use the help of my city-data friends! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,929,467 times
The Portage Glacier cruise is a fairly close day trip at a reasonable cost. There’s a 2 for 1 coupon in the Toursaver coupon book. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is across the highway from the Portage exit.
http://portageglaciercruises.com/
http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

A day cruise out of Seward is nice but would be a long day if driving there and back in the same day. A cruise out of Whittier is nice but a little spendy but there are 2 for 1 coupons for that as well. Girdwood/Alyeska would fit in well with Portage. Possibly a trip up the tram at Alyeska. Again 2 for 1 coupons in the Northern Lights coupon book.

If you’re lucky you might get a glimpse of a bore tide or beluga whales in Turnagain Arm. The bore tide schedule should be posted at this site in the next month or two.
http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/turnagan.htm

Most of this can be done with minimal walking.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,190,644 times
GoToAK.com -- Alaska Outdoors, Hiking, Biking, Camping, Travel, Adventure, Food and Entertainment - ktuu.com

Old 02-25-2012, 04:42 PM

158 posts, read 323,263 times
What about The Aquarium in Seward? I enjoyed that when I was there a few years ago and they have a cute ice cream place there too, cant remember the name though. Also not sure how far it would be for travel but the Friday flings in Palmer are nice, loved seeing all the fresh veggies, coffee, creamery stuff and food trucks/stands , rocks, and the music was really nice! Just a few ideas.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,864,925 times
Alaska Native Heritage Center - ANHC - Alaska Native Heritage Center Museum - Anchorage

Anchorage Museum - The Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center

Alaska Aviation Museum - Alaska Aviation Museum - Preserving Aviation Heritage

A train ride to Whittier - Alaska Railroad Corporation > Home

Watch the float planes at Lake Hood.

Drive to Hatcher's Pass, stop at the Musk Ox Farm. - The Musk Ox Farm, Palmer, Alaska

Check out Trip Advisor - Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,627,726 times
I love the Glacier Cruises out of Whittier, along with a stop at the Begich Boggs Visitor at Portage Lake. And the Portage Lake Lodge has great fudge & gifts.
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is great too.
Going north, there's the Matanuska Glacier and Hatcher's Pass. The jet boat rides to Knik Glacier look great too.
Talkeetna has some great places to eat. The flightseeing trip around McKinley is stunning.
I'd also suggest doing some research on the Trip Advisor forums: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM

157 posts, read 240,977 times
I had a crew out here last summer ranging from 2 - 80. We had been here for less than a year, so I was also grasping for ideas. We could not go out of town, so everything was based from here. Some of the things we did have previously been mentioned - so I apologize if I am repeating advice...

The most most expensive trip was the Glacier Cruise out of Whittier. We opted to have the King Crab and Prime Rib buffet lunch - weather was not good, but it was still a fun day

The Portage Glacier cruise

A trip to Alyeska where we walked the Winter Trail. I think next time we will add the tram ride too

A trip to the Conservation Center in Portage (you can drive this too so your Mom doesn't need to walk)

We did the Alaska Native Heritage Center, but my guests also enjoyed going to Alaska Native Medical Center and looking at their fabulous displays.

We explored downtown Anchorage and discovered a free bus trip into the Anchorage Port - it was interesting and right near the Ulu factory

A trip out to Hatchers Pass

A trip to Talkeetna. We had lunch and took a river boat cruise

Enjoy!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM

20 posts, read 50,651 times
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I've got Talkeetna and Portage Glacier already on this list but I think I've found some other good ideas here. I knew your suggestions would be good ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage