Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM

275 posts, read 580,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_brien View Post
We live in North Seattle right now and really like the family friendly nature, granola attitude, and walkability of our current neighborhood, and are hoping to find something similar in Anchorage.
Call me clueless, but what is granola attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
I've lived in the Muldoon area twice and never had a problem. Granted I tried to remember to lock car etc, and the house when we left, but still never had a problem and none of my neighbors had any problems either and most of them didn't even lockup at all. Not to say there were not any problems just none that I knew of. I heard bad things about the Hilltop area and I can say most of my, adult, daughter's friends lived --and most still live --there. You are talking the 20- 35 year old group, a lot of them hanging out there are young military.
Hilltop or Hillside? equinox1 indicated Hillside was an area to avoid, but I thought Hillside was supposed to be a nice area.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,031,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Why do you suggest avoiding Hillside (Southeast Anchorage)?
Guess he doesn't like the sweeping views and spectacular sunsets.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM

173 posts, read 499,730 times
It's prob Hilltop-the North area of town. I often forget names. : )

When my friends were buying there, her son looked up the crime areas and told them to avoid some areas and they shared the info. AKNana, I looked at the Spicewood condos which is near Muldoon and talked to a number of residents-they also felt it was a safe area. I also looked at a complex right in midtown whcih the residents felt fine about, but the area around it looked pretty iffy. The condo available wasn't great, but the convenience would have been wonderful. Tradeoff's, I think.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 PM

482 posts, read 875,469 times
Except that if you have a kid(s) you can't trade off iffy. I had heard that we would spend $2500-$3000/month on rent for a 4 bedroom in a safe area, but that the "fanciest" areas would be more.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM

339 posts, read 589,078 times
Quote:
Hilltop or Hillside? equinox1 indicated Hillside was an area to avoid, but I thought Hillside was supposed to be a nice area.

Hilltop. It's in the North end. Looked at few nice places but the neighbors were not what I would choose. I like the area, roughly 3rd and Muldoon. East side, behind the businesses, is a house area and the west side has a mix but more apts and condos than houses. I've bought a mobile, how I ended up off Muldoon, the first time up and rented an apartment the second. We specifically looked for the Muldoon area.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,639,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Call me clueless, but what is granola attitude?
Its more of a lifestyle than an attitude. Think of places like Berkeley, CA, Burlington, VT, Eugene, OR, and the granddaddy granola of all granola areas in the country; Wasilla, AK. (that's for you, Mr. Glitch)

EDIT: A great place to launch your granola lifestyle would be at UCLA. Great school. Great granola (liberal) lifestyle. Might just as well kill two (Alaskan) birds with one comment.

Last edited by RedJacket; 08-29-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 09:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_brien View Post
My family will be moving to Anchorage from Seattle in August of 2013. I'm pretty excited about the move, but, having never been to Anchorage, I'm completely clueless about what neighborhood to look for housing in. We live in North Seattle right now and really like the family friendly nature, granola attitude, and walkability of our current neighborhood, and are hoping to find something similar in Anchorage. We are hoping for a single family house, and looking to spend around $2000/month. Any thought?

Should I look into working with a relator or property management company? If so recommendations would be great.

Also, any advise on childcare would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
These are the various areas in Anchorage: Anchorage Areas

Avoid the Fairview Area, Mountain View Area, Muldoon Area, and Spenard Area. These areas around Anchorage are the high crime areas.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,094 times
Good map, thanks!

Do the neighborhoolds near the water get a lot of snow? I would think it's more temperate closer to the water, but maybe it's cold enough that it snows just as much close to the water.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Good map, thanks!

Do the neighborhoolds near the water get a lot of snow? I would think it's more temperate closer to the water, but maybe it's cold enough that it snows just as much close to the water.
Actually, those who live furthest from the water, up on the Hillside, Abbot Loop, Bear Valley, and Glen Alps areas get the majority of snow, and wind, in Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage