Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 PM

287 posts, read 599,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I appreciate your candor. It really has nothing to do about feelings and in all reality, they are doing us a favor by renting our house so we don't have that high mortgage payment looming anymore. (always looking at the bright side right?) But you're 100% right and it wont ever happen again.
Well that really changes things doesn't it... you left that little "tidbit" out...

You don't have a leg to stand on - you are a guest in your house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Well that really changes things doesn't it... you left that little "tidbit" out...

You don't have a leg to stand on - you are a guest in your house...

We moved out. No way I could live with them any longer. You know, it's one of those things and there is a really LONG story behind it. Anyway, a temporary, get on your feet thing turned into a long term thing.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We moved out. No way I could live with them any longer. You know, it's one of those things and there is a really LONG story behind it. Anyway, a temporary, get on your feet thing turned into a long term thing.
been there, done that -- And it always seems like they do.

I hope you are still on speaking terms. Everyone (myself included) have always split on bad terms and those family members never speak again.

Oh well, you live and learn and move on. Looks you did just that too.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,122,361 times
They had said when grandchildren arrive it's hard to get away. That is true. We are making plans to live 6 months in Alaska and 6 months here in San Diego....unless they move to Alaska which might not happen.

Coming back for a month or two in May this year to feel free again catch some real fish and show my bride around the land that is what freedom should feel like.

That's life....I guess.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 PM

182 posts, read 478,777 times
I moved from Oregon to Alaska to get where I saw the people were the kind I could be around. We moved south a brief bit to go back to family after they convinced us to do business for a while with them. What a joke. It cost us so much money to deal with the family. Finally I got back north and now it is phone calls. My wife visits them in the summer. I agree to winter. Summer is priceless and I have lost too many summers helping family out. When Summer comes phone is off, and family is on hold (besides immediate)

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 86,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Family just gets in the way.

Live your dream.

Life is too short to do it any other way.

True!!!...The beginning of my adventure started it when I moved to the states after graduation back in 76 for a month vacation in Texas. I never look back. Now after 37 years i found the girl i was in love back in High School and since our minds are in the same place we are going to continue the tradition. We are going to Alaska!!! What it was a simple talk now took a turn to make it a reality. She is transferring and i am going with an idea of opening a small sandwich place. It is our dream and we are not letting family stop us. What would happen, would happen for a reason and we have to continue. This is going to be far from family but i have find out that our family ancestors did the same thing to their families many years ago...so it's in the blood. The first people with my last name where two brothers from Spain that went for an adventure to the Caribbean back in the 1700's......and the adventure continue.......

One thing that bothers me is how ignorant people are about Alaska. They think there are no stores, restaurants etc. there.....is amazing what i find out about the way people think.....

Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM

287 posts, read 599,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracing57 View Post
True!!!...The beginning of my adventure started it when I moved to the states after graduation back in 76 for a month vacation in Texas. I never look back. Now after 37 years i found the girl i was in love back in High School and since our minds are in the same place we are going to continue the tradition. We are going to Alaska!!! What it was a simple talk now took a turn to make it a reality. She is transferring and i am going with an idea of opening a small sandwich place. It is our dream and we are not letting family stop us. What would happen, would happen for a reason and we have to continue. This is going to be far from family but i have find out that our family ancestors did the same thing to their families many years ago...so it's in the blood. The first people with my last name where two brothers from Spain that went for an adventure to the Caribbean back in the 1700's......and the adventure continue.......

One thing that bothers me is how ignorant people are about Alaska. They think there are no stores, restaurants etc. there.....is amazing what i find out about the way people think.....
It's the "Northern Exposure" syndrome... they watch it on whatever channel is showing it now and think that is what AK is like... not realizing it was filmed in Washington over 30 years ago now.

Then they watch Gold Rush and think they are going to go there and make millions... not looking at the fact that they haven't made any money in the 3 seasons of the show. If you consider ALL the money spent - they are in the RED. If it wasn't for the producers, they would have folded after season one.

People watch "reality" shows and actually think it's "reality"... but all we see is what's edited to make "good" TV.

History repeats itself - it's another gold rush, and the vast majority of those people either died or went home completely broke... but nobody "looks" at those facts, they just think they can go there and money is falling from the sky.

Or they are going to get there and make $100,000+ working on the pipeline.

Take your choice. Most want to move blind never having set foot in AK before - all they know is what they've seen on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage