Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
Here it's super flat, but when we got into Texas Hill Country (um, not mountains, but as close as you can get around here!) and we were pulling horses we were so glad to have the engine brake on DH's dually. It makes a big difference. Love that thing.

Also, I realize the OP has a SUV so will be pulling a bumper pull but isn't a gooseneck really the better option for pulling a trailer?

I have never had good luck with any jeep vehicle as far as reliability, if it were me, I wouldn't even attempt it, but maybe they have become much better or maybe the OP has had better luck with this one. I can hardly believe the ratings on that tow capacity. We have a trailer that is 3500 lbs empty and I know what it does to a full sized SUV and truck I can not imagine a Liberty.
I can definetly can tell you haul horses... Goosenecks are usually used on horse trailers... 5th wheel's are also a good option. This is especially true for HEAVY and long trailers. They are also more expensive, harder to sell as not everyone has a pickup with a GN or 5th wheel.

Several benefits to them though-
Some of the length of the trailer is in the bed of the truck - instead of starting a couple of feet BEHND the tow vehicle.

You have more tongue weight capacity since the pin weight is over (typically) the rear axle and not the bumper.

Easier to steer and maintain. As my trailer guy put it, once you go GN or 5th you never want to go back to bumper pull... Unfortunately for my move, due to resale I will probably have a bumper pull.

WD hitches and trailer sway control are also great. I have seen my share of accidents with trailers gone wrong due to swaying and flipping over or into the vehicle next to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM

287 posts, read 599,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
Here it's super flat, but when we got into Texas Hill Country (um, not mountains, but as close as you can get around here!) and we were pulling horses we were so glad to have the engine brake on DH's dually. It makes a big difference. Love that thing.

Also, I realize the OP has a SUV so will be pulling a bumper pull but isn't a gooseneck really the better option for pulling a trailer?

I have never had good luck with any jeep vehicle as far as reliability, if it were me, I wouldn't even attempt it, but maybe they have become much better or maybe the OP has had better luck with this one. I can hardly believe the ratings on that tow capacity. We have a trailer that is 3500 lbs empty and I know what it does to a full sized SUV and truck I can not imagine a Liberty.
When was the last time you owned a Jeep? It's basically a Chrysler, they took them over in '87 and the Liberty is basically a Nitro....

And a 5,000lb towing capacity is nothing - almost any vehicle with a 6cyl engine can get it... and a 3,500lb trailer is a HEAVY DUTY trailer and not a U-Haul...

Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
When was the last time you owned a Jeep? It's basically a Chrysler, they took them over in '87 and the Liberty is basically a Nitro....

And a 5,000lb towing capacity is nothing - almost any vehicle with a 6cyl engine can get it... and a 3,500lb trailer is a HEAVY DUTY trailer and not a U-Haul...
Gosh, you were born with that know-it-all attitude. Gonna set the world straight.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Gosh, you were born with that know-it-all attitude. Gonna set the world straight.
Nope - just don't care for people that owned something and use it to base ALL of them on their single experience... No details about when, what model, did it have a real tow package or just a hitch...

I worked with a guy for about 5 years that had a Cherokee and had no real issues with his and had close to 250,000 miles on it... The only issue he complained about was having to replace a crank position sensor 3 or 4 times.

So this "I owned one, so they are ALL bad" statement kinda bothers me... Just because they had issues with theirs hardly means "ALL".

Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM

482 posts, read 875,469 times
Actually, I've never even owned a jeep. But have several close friends and family with them. I'vs seen about 10 of them in action and always in the shop. I drove one once as a loaner in 2009 and it seemed cheaply made and when I put my foot down there was nothing there. It was like driving a Honda Civic except a civic can actually move because the vehicle is lightweight whereas the jeep SUV is much heavier. I can't imagine towing with it.

It's ok if something I say bothers you, you're entitled to your opinion.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM

And comparing a Jeep to Civic is like the proverbial apples to oranges...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Dak- Currently we have a BP. I refuse to pull it with my SUV anymore because I have too much sway especially on the highway. I was never in a super dangerous position but you know I like to negate risk. I felt it sway hard a couple times and once was coming down from a big mix master trying to merge. No more. After that I use the truck. We have a GN hitch and our next trailer will be a GN with LQ. We'll keep the BP for times we don't need the big LQ. Good, titled, trailers are not easy to come by around here.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM

If you couldn't see my point then clearly we shouldn't continue the conversation. It's one of those deals where you'll find argument everywhere possible. I was originally speaking to the OP with the jeep so hopefully he/she replies. Good luck with whatever makes you happy.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
I don't want to start a car brand war here... I have negatives and positives with every brand I have owned or been assigned for work. (I have owned Acura, Honda, Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, Volvo, VW, GMC, Toyota, Subaru) At work I have been assigned Jeep (Cherokee), Chrylser, Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge. Here is my experience with Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler products. I have driven dozens of them. Yes, dozens - at work we have all big three brands representing the past 15 years...

The V6 and V4 motors that Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler made/makes typically feel under powered and they have a reputation for not being reliable. At work we have experienced it - and are still experiencing it with our new Dodge Chargers with V6's. After the bugs get worked out, they seem to be OK - except for a couple of model years the V6 Dodge 1500's gunked the oil up and needed rebuilding often. So bad that Ddoge actually bought most of them back. The brand spanking new 3.6 'FIAT' motor hasn't been out long enough for an opinion, but the HP/TQ ratings and first reviews are pretty decent... V8's and HEMI's are another story and the Diesel motors are too... (Cummins I6 is a beast)

IMHO, the 4.0L I6 was the best 'smaller' motor Jeep/Chrysler ever made. Easy to work on or around, plenty of TQ and HP and was reliable. I always wanted a wrangler with that motor in it. A friend of mine's Cherokee with that motor in it had 200k or so miles on it when he got rid of it, and it was still running. I know plenty of 1990's and early 2000's Jeeps on the road...

Having said that, I am not going to tell the OP that their car is unreliable and I wouldn't take it. I wouldn't guarantee a car with an insanereliability past is going to make it without issues. The OP should know whether their specific car is reliable or not. Any car that is a problem car shouldn't be driven by itself on the Alcan... regardless of the brand.

In the summer the Taylor/Top of the World Highway nearly killed a 2012 Ford F150 that I rented. All the bouncing, vibration, and mud created all kinds of electrical gremlins. I had to switch it out in Anchorage.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM

I think the bigger issue was that he/she has never towed a trailer at all, much less with that specific vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage