Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Anchorage Friendly?
Surprisingly Unfriendly - more so than other places I have lived 9 18.37%
Seems To Be Getting Unfriendlier 7 14.29%
Neutral 17 34.69%
Really Friendly - more so than other places I have lived 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,632,094 times

Advertisements

Before I had kids it was rare for strangers in restaurants, passing by on the street, etc., to talk to me. After having kids it was a lot more common. I suppose all those years people who needed help finding a street or building would rather keep looking than ask me for help, but with small children in tow I was suddenly safe

Maybe perception of other peoples' friendliness has something to do with the vibes you're giving off yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
I lived in Anchorage for five years, and that was more than enough for me. When I lived there, I learned that during the 60's and 70's Anchorage was a rough place. Most of the older generations described is as a modern day wild west. Drugs, drinking, prostitution, robbery and murder were common place then. In fact they spoke of it as the "good ol' days". When talking to the people more my age (late twenties), they would take pride in what their older relatives did in the past. Portrayed them as a hero. I strongly believe that the mind set in Anchorage has been past down the line, and people are very reluctant to give up that sort of pride. I have been told on multiple occasions, from people that were born and raised there, that Anchoragians (?) absolutely despise any person or idea that originates from the lower 48. Regardless of what or who it is. There are some good people in that city, but they've learned to keep their heads down and mouth shut. So it's kind of hard to meet any decent or trustworthy people. Also sexism is rampant and blatant in Anchorage. I never knew what sexism really was until I moved there. It's a nice place to visit in the summer, but it can be a difficult place to live.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 12,420 times
Wow, that last post is very depressing. I will be in Anchorage for the summer and figured that being a Montana girl would work in my favor. I am single and fairly assertive (go figure, I'm an engineer) so hearing that sexism is alive and well is a huge source of sadness.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Kinda disappointed too. I only visited with the family and I didn't notice that my wife was treated any different.... Looked like a normal mid size city with mid size city issues.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:15 PM

128 posts, read 293,563 times
Wink Anchorage isn't bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygyrrl View Post
Wow, that last post is very depressing. I will be in Anchorage for the summer and figured that being a Montana girl would work in my favor. I am single and fairly assertive (go figure, I'm an engineer) so hearing that sexism is alive and well is a huge source of sadness.

You will be fine. I have never seen sexism after having lived here for 14 years. The only scenario where I see that happening would be a girl patronizing a bar or hang out place where men just came back down from the North slope where they were isolated from civilization three to four weeks at a time and coming down with a group (plane full) of other men. Some fly down back to their homes in the lower 48 and some have a rental with other North slope roomies so they have this "frat" mentality or just simply full of testosterone from simply being around hundreds of other men and have that pack mentality.

As for the history on Anchorage, we do have a shady history but that is in the past. Anchorage is like any other city in the US but very diverse. We have a lot of tourist who are always in awe (seems like zombies walking around because they are always staring at something, but that's anywhere that has tourists lol) but then we have military transplants and people that move up here for the oil or other reasons; or retire up here and they like myself get along fine with people who were born and raised here.

We have a large transient population so people may not seem friendly at first but that is just due to their own reservations and finding their own way around town themselves. Once people start talking most swap stories of how they ended up here and where they are from. The locals and people who lived here for a while are especially friendly. We have natives from remote villages come to Anchorage to shop and to them it's a big strange city so they are very reserved and keep to themselves mostly.

I don't think you need to worry. Anchorage is a diverse place and if you understand the dynamics of the many groups of people here, you won't feel that it's something you did or didn't do to get certain reactions.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
You will be fine. I have never seen sexism after having lived here for 14 years.
Bahahahahaaaa. What?! Do you live in a bubble?

Example: read this letter about a pack of 12 year olds harassing women on the Coastal Trail.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:32 AM

128 posts, read 293,563 times
Thumbs down Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Bahahahahaaaa. What?! Do you live in a bubble?

Example: read this letter about a pack of 12 year olds harassing women on the Coastal Trail.
Please quote my entire post as I did follow up with a scenario where I think something like that could happen. I do not doubt sexual harassment happening here in Anchorage but I personally do not think it is a problem that we have. If you take your own example (the link you posted) and read the comments to that letter you will see that people (MEN an women) were coming to the defense of the female writer.

Lastly, no, I do not live in a bubble. I surround myself with positive and caring people. Mean and cruel people live every where and is in any city. Your rebuttal wasn't so friendly so don't respond if you can't keep it civil.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Yep. There are idjits everywhere.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 PM

52 posts, read 112,323 times
Pfft, if someone ignored my friendly 'hullo!'...Id lay 'em out with a bicycle kick to the back of the doome!!

Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxinRearvyew View Post
Pfft, if someone ignored my friendly 'hullo!'...Id lay 'em out with a bicycle kick to the back of the doome!!
With your attitude it sounds like you're suffering the effects of too many bicycles kicks to the back of the dome already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage