Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Anchorage Friendly?
Surprisingly Unfriendly - more so than other places I have lived 9 18.37%
Seems To Be Getting Unfriendlier 7 14.29%
Neutral 17 34.69%
Really Friendly - more so than other places I have lived 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM

52 posts, read 112,116 times

Advertisements

Just proving Dakster right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
I do not doubt sexual harassment happening here in Anchorage but I personally do not think it is a problem that we have. If you take your own example (the link you posted) and read the comments to that letter you will see that people (MEN an women) were coming to the defense of the female writer.

Lastly, no, I do not live in a bubble. I surround myself with positive and caring people. Mean and cruel people live every where and is in any city. Your rebuttal wasn't so friendly so don't respond if you can't keep it civil.
Oh I disagree with you so I'm not civil. Okay! Makes perfect sense.

Alaska is the number one state for rape, sexual assault, and domestic abuse. But you don't think it's "a problem"? The fact that some men have responded sympathizing with the victim of harassment doesn't mean that it didn't happen and doesn't happen!

I don't ever use the trails in Anchorage without a weapon and a backup weapon. Friends have had guns pulled on them on the Chester. A woman I know was just harassed yesterday downtown by a group of homeless men. Another friend was hanging out in a roadside pullout on the Seward Highway when a dude drove in and tried to drag her into his vehicle. She used her weapon (knife) to fight free. The guy was not caught, by the way. I personally have had many encounters with aggressive harassers and attempted assaults on the trails in Anchorage. As a child, I had to dodge a dude who stopped to try to snatch me and my brother from the bus stop.

I usually advise women who go to bars in Anchorage to NEVER let their drink leave their hands, because even the bartenders are in on the date rape druggings. There was an article about that in the paper last year, remember?

Professionally, there is a ton of sexism in this state. One client wouldn't let my demolition team perform a project because he didn't think it was "safe" to send an all-women team out to do the work. That's just ONE example of many sexist experiences I can cite.

You are living in a TOTAL bubble if you think sexism and sexual harassment isn't a problem here.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 AM

128 posts, read 293,097 times
Default Different experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Oh I disagree with you so I'm not civil. Okay! Makes perfect sense.

Alaska is the number one state for rape, sexual assault, and domestic abuse. But you don't think it's "a problem"? The fact that some men have responded sympathizing with the victim of harassment doesn't mean that it didn't happen and doesn't happen!

I don't ever use the trails in Anchorage without a weapon and a backup weapon. Friends have had guns pulled on them on the Chester. A woman I know was just harassed yesterday downtown by a group of homeless men. Another friend was hanging out in a roadside pullout on the Seward Highway when a dude drove in and tried to drag her into his vehicle. She used her weapon (knife) to fight free. The guy was not caught, by the way. I personally have had many encounters with aggressive harassers and attempted assaults on the trails in Anchorage. As a child, I had to dodge a dude who stopped to try to snatch me and my brother from the bus stop.

I usually advise women who go to bars in Anchorage to NEVER let their drink leave their hands, because even the bartenders are in on the date rape druggings. There was an article about that in the paper last year, remember?

Professionally, there is a ton of sexism in this state. One client wouldn't let my demolition team perform a project because he didn't think it was "safe" to send an all-women team out to do the work. That's just ONE example of many sexist experiences I can cite.

You are living in a TOTAL bubble if you think sexism and sexual harassment isn't a problem here.
It sounds like you have had one horrible experience after another. My true and honest response to your situation is that you have my sincere empathy. Maybe it's because I am a male so I don't see it? I know my wife doesn't face sexism issues nor does she have any problem putting a man in his place. I don't have a problem with us disagreeing as each of us have unique and individual experiences. What I do have a problem with is someone making a mockery of my opinion. I do not think you would take too kindly if I said, "baaahaawhaa! what!? you must live in a sexism bubble!"

In conclusion, I do not think that sexism doesn't happen but from my own personal experiences do not think it's a problem here in Anchorage. You have my sincere empathy and I would never discredit your grievances. Lets just agree to disagree.

Last edited by Need4Seasons; 05-20-2014 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: left out words

Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM

22 posts, read 31,903 times
The people are not friendly like in the south; they are crusty, direct and highly opinionated, but I'll tell ya what, they will be there when you need them instead of being "nice" to you and running like a scared deer the first time you need a friend. It will take some getting used to them but it's well worth it to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage