Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,315,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfinder View Post
We leased a home in Turnagain for a year until we got the lay of the land, and even after exploring other areas, we still ended up purchasing a home a few streets over. The Turnagain Neighborhood has an unprecedented reputation as a safe, friendly, convenient, family focused neighborhood. It's also one of the few neighborhoods that has charm and character IMHO. I can't tell you the number of times we've had friends from other parts of Anchorage mention that that wish they could live there. However you'll need to temper your expectations as far as modern style and construction are concerned. We bought a fixer upper and made it our style. I suggest finding Turnagain Parkway on the map and head north for a scenic tour. This is not a particularly great time of year to buy, but more properties come on the market in a few months. BTW, my commute is 7 minutes to downtown.

P.S. Another great neighborhood is Intlet View near Westchester Lagoon. Inlet View is even closer to downtown and has excellent recreational trail access.
Yes, a nice area, but you may want to learn about the effects of the 64' earthquake there before making a decision. I should add that, personaly, I would not let earthquake history sway my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 AM

75 posts, read 87,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Not sure what part of Hillside you're referring to. There are more and less crowded areas in both Hillside and ER. As far as people are concerned, people are people. You can find friendly people and jerks in both locations. ER and Hillside are both great (and comparable) areas. It all depends on what you're looking for.
The hillside itself doesn't but the Seward Hwy is always jammed in the rush hours, not as bad as the Glenn in my opinion. Any N/S street is a mess. Don't forget Old Seward and Dimond on a Saturday
I drive a lot during my day and have spent time in every corner of our city. Not to mention the only times I've had near misses on my motorcycle have all been in south anchorage. Just my .02 but you are; people are people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage