Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 15,811 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family has just moved here from the lower 48 for hubby's job. We knew absolutely nothing about Anchorage, or even Alaska for that matter, when getting off of that plane a few weeks ago. From the few people we knew (through his job), we learned that people preferred to lived in either South Anchorage (lower hillside or hillside) or Eagle River. We had some trouble finding what we were looking for in S. Anchorage, we wanted something of nice quality and spacious on the inside (open floor plan) with a little bit of a yard for our 2 kids. The listings were few and far between for what we wanted so we ended up finding something that has almost everything we were looking for... except that it's in Eagle River. Drove through the town and saw the basics of what it offered. But I'm starting to feel nervous. I keep wondering if we should have waited it out and found something in South Anchorage. Or if everything will be fine and we'll end up liking Eagle River? For any residents that are familiar with this town, did we make a mistake or can you talk me into loving it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,105,303 times
I don't live in ER, but can tell you it is a nice community. I considered moving there when I was looking (settled on S. Anchorage). I probably prefer ER, were it not for the sometimes difficult commute. I think you'll be more than happy there. Rest easy. It was a good decision.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,453 times
I personally like Eagle River more than South Anchorage, closer to Downtown, while still being very family friendly.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 15,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I don't live in ER, but can tell you it is a nice community. I considered moving there when I was looking (settled on S. Anchorage). I probably prefer ER, were it not for the sometimes difficult commute. I think you'll be more than happy there. Rest easy. It was a good decision.
You mentioned you probably prefer ER, would you mind sharing specifically why?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,313,683 times
My wife and I have been living in Eagle River for 17 1/2 years, I have been in Alaska/Anchorage for a total of 36 1/2 years. Neither of us have ever liked Anchorage proper, is it noisy, dirty, ugly, the traffic is terrible and has much more crime than Eagle River ( though generaly speaking in the more "undesirable areas" ).

Comparing commutes from south anchorage to midtown or downtown, eagle river wins or is a tie at the very worst due to fewer stop lights and fewer on/off ramps and merging traffic and it is closer to downtown. One downside to the eagle river commute is the idiots who insist on inspecting the ditch from the driver seat so that the other idiots in traffic can do their best to slow to a crawl and hold up the 29,900 vehicles and persons wanting to get to work. When this happens on the seward hwy there are other ateries to divert to which may not lead to quite as much of a delay.

Recreation in the outdoors is closer in eagle river with fewer people all trying to enjoy the same thing. Here are a few ideas I posted on another thread; https://www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...things-do.html

If you want night life or fine dining you would have to visit anchorage proper for that, but that is part of the appeal to living in eagle river.

Generaly, people in eagle river seem to be friendlier and this burb' is more attractive by a long shot !

Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Eagle River has some of the best , if not *the* best, schools in the school district! Tons of parent involvement in the schools, so go volunteer if you have school age kids.

We lived in Eagle River and it is an awesome place to raise kids, very family-oriented.

Some of the other pluses of ER are the ER Nature Center, the nordic ski trails in Chugiak, close to Arctic Valley Ski Area, great aurora borealis viewing away from city lights, bike trails, lots of hiking trails in the area.

Which is your area school, chicklitmom?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
It really depends on exactly where you will be working in Anchorage, and what time you schedule your commute. Where I live in South Anc up on the Hillside, I have exactly 1 Stop Sign and 2 Traffic lights between my driveway and my office. I go in before 7am and leave before 4pm. My commute is 30 mins on snow days, closer to 15 when it's clear.

I personally don't care for ER. But maybe that's just me.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
It really depends on exactly where you will be working in Anchorage, and what time you schedule your commute. Where I live in South Anc up on the Hillside, I have exactly 1 Stop Sign and 2 Traffic lights between my driveway and my office. I go in before 7am and leave before 4pm My commute is 30 mins on snow days, closer to 15 when it's clear.
That is an ideal schedule and route, you are fortunate.

Whenever possible I tried to leave work by 4pm or wait until 6pm to make the drive, 4:30 to 5:30 is peak rush hour. In the morning, leave before 7am or after 8am to avoid peak traffic if possible, the 15-30+ minutes saved each way adds up to weeks over a years time.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Comparing commutes from south anchorage to midtown or downtown, eagle river wins or is a tie at the very worst due to fewer stop lights and fewer on/off ramps and merging traffic and it is closer to downtown. One downside to the eagle river commute is the idiots who insist on inspecting the ditch from the driver seat so that the other idiots in traffic can do their best to slow to a crawl and hold up the 29,900 vehicles and persons wanting to get to work. When this happens on the seward hwy there are other ateries to divert to which may not lead to quite as much of a delay.
In the time I've been here, it seems like approx 20% of the drivers on the road here are maniac, wanna-be NASCAR racers with lead feet, while another 20% have a mortal fear of snow and icy roads and crawl along at sub glacial speeds (even in the left lane of the highway). The remaining 60% of us in the middle are just screwed.

And, add to that those drivers with cell phones surgically attached to their ears...

Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
In the time I've been here, it seems like approx 20% of the drivers on the road here are maniac, wanna-be NASCAR racers with lead feet, while another 20% have a mortal fear of snow and icy roads and crawl along at sub glacial speeds (even in the left lane of the highway). The remaining 60% of us in the middle are just screwed.
Yes, I may have given too much credit to some, your numbers may be a bit more representative .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage