Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Is everyone in rural New England as ignorant as you seem to be? I don't want come across as an elitist snob but, you do know that we do not live in igloo's, right?
Lol! Someone who can't tell a plural from a possessive is calling others ignorant.
The irony is delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! Someone who can't tell a plural from a possessive is calling others ignorant.
The irony is delicious.
And they fit in quite nicely here in Alaska.

Last edited by hogfamily; 11-24-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
The irony is delicious.
You have not presented any evidence to support such an assertion.

Apparently, you have never heard of typographical errors and are completely free from making them.

You are now Harrier's poster child for proper grammar - he expects nothing less then perfection.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Ignorant is a relative term. The OP is ignorant about Alaska; AK76 is ignorant concerning proper apostrophe usage. However, we're typing about Alaska here rather than holding a grammar session, and I'd be willing to bet that AK76 isn't ignorant about Alaska.

To the OP: If you move to Alaska and bring the attitude portrayed in your post, you might find yourself at a social loss. You'll meet "cultured" people in Anchorage, but they aren't going to be impressed by you. Many of them will consider you to not be terribly well-read or sophisticated, particularly if you try to posture yourself as being so.

I'm curious about why you're interested in relocating to Anchorage.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier;32363547=

You are now Harrier's poster child for proper grammar - he expects nothing less then perfection.

Ummm, Harrier...

Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ummm, Harrier...
Harrier was just testing Weltschmerz.

Apparently, you missed Harrier's post about typos.

Good catch - it shows that Alaskans are grammatically knowledgeable, would should encourage the OP.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You have not presented any evidence to support such an assertion.

Apparently, you have never heard of typographical errors and are completely free from making them.

English is not my first language; it's my third. If I make a mistake, I'd appreciate someone pointing it out...otherwise, how will I ever learn?
That being said, posters calling others ignorant while clearly not being able to grasp the most basic and rudimentary rules of grammar taught in elementary school is just sad.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,515,364 times
Quote:
English is not my first language; it's my third. If I make a mistake, I'd appreciate someone pointing it out...otherwise, how will I ever learn?
That being said, posters calling others ignorant while clearly not being able to grasp the most basic and rudimentary rules of grammar taught in elementary school is just sad.

Quit whilst you're behind, Harrier.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,077 times
I guess I just don't get it.

I have never figured out why perfect grammer and speling is so impotent on a social forum.

I could understand it if this was a collage term paper or something that is published.

Guess my son with Dyslexia would not be very welcome to post here.

His writing is getting gooder now that he is out of public schol tho.

Carry on........

Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Rather than being ignorant of basic grammar rules, I think that many posters are simply on auto-pilot when they post. I've thrown an errant apostrophe around a time or two myself. It's easy enough to do -- almost as easy as pouncing on someone for a fairly common and innocuous typographical error because you're trying to be someone online.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about what others type here. Instead, you should work on your ellipsis skills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage