Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM

26 posts, read 49,609 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife (of 41 yrs) and I have been working on our bucket list and have decided to combine my wish, to buy a corvette and drive across the country and her wish, to golf in every state in the Union. Well, I bought the car last week so we are committed (or should be).

In going over the US map I have 2 large obstacles in this quest.....one is Hawaii and the other is Alaska. I'll deal with Hawaii later. Now, we have cruised Alaska at the inside passage, which is the best cruise available, so we don't need to do any extensive repeat traveling in the state. Just get in, play golf and get out.

I would like some assistance in how to get this golf round in. I really don't intend to drive into Alaska and we would be ok with getting to a nearby golf course that would rent us clubs. As we will be doing this on a budget I'd like to know what my options would be. If flying in, where would the cheapest flights be from and to where? What are the other travel options without taking up an excessive amount of time?

Any assistance would be great appreciated.

Jim & Cherrie
St. Augustine, Fl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,317,506 times
Fly to Anchorage and play golf in Anchorage at Moose Run (2 courses to choose from), or O'Malleys, or Eagleglen, one can also drive from Anchorage to Wasilla/Point MacKenzie area and play Settlers Bay.

Moose Run Golf Course Home

Eagleglen Golf Course

Anchorage Golf Course

Settlers Bay Golf Course - Wasilla, AK

Palmer Golf Course

Of theses choices, Settlers Bay is the furthest drive from Anchorage, about an hour, but it is considered the nicest course in the state by many in regard to conditions.

Eagleglen is on Elmendorf AFB-now called JBER-Joint base Elmendorf/Richardson and is a nice course as well.

Moose Run has two courses, the Hill course which plays up and down rolling terrain and does not have a watering system so the course can turn to dry/hard pan type conditions if there has been little rain. Next to to the Hill course is the Creek course, it is very challenging and more scenic. These two courses I play almost exclusively due to the proximity of my home and the diversity inherent between the two courses. This course is on JBER also, but is miles from Eagleglen between the city of Anchorage and Eagle River.

Palmer Golf Course is the longest in the state and is located between a small airport, farms and the Matanuska river below. It can be windy due to local conditions and terrain, it is open, few trees, but in always seem to enjoy it-after all I make a point of having a good time when playing golf.

O'Malleys is twisty and narrow, fairly scenic and the conditions when I have played were generaly crap. It is located on the "hillside" part of Anchorage near the Alaska Zoo.

Personaly, I would recommend that you play Moose Run and the the Creek courses, each plays very different and they look different. The proximity of these courses to Anchorage keep you within 30-45minutes of the airport.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,718,941 times
It would be closer to fly into Wrangell and play there. Probably not cheaper though. Still not that many people can say they've played gold in Wrangell.

Muskeg Meadows | Wrangell Alaska Golf Club

Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,960,171 times
What's the last tee time in the summer? It would be cool to tee off at 7:00pm.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,345,214 times
I don't know the answer to your question, I just want to say ... cool bucket list and amazing that you have the ability to carry it out. You're blessed, but I assume you know that. Are you old enough to remember a TV show called Route 66? Maybe you could solve people's problems along the way, as Tod and Buz did.

Why the mostly forgotten Route 66 was one of TV

Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,538,679 times
Neat bucket list. I have a friend that is running a Marathon in every state and every continent. (He won't do every country as that would be unattainable, financially).

I still say you need to drive to AK to play golf, I'll give you the pass For Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the other US Territories... You can fly to those.

I can't help either only that I haven't found a "cheap" way to get to AK other than driving a car with very good mileage. It isn't like at one point you won't be in the states that border Canada... I'd love to put some miles on those winding mountain roads in a nice sports car like a 'vette.... Usually I am in some sort of family hauler.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 PM

26 posts, read 49,609 times
Thanks to all, keep them coming. Flying into Anchorage would be cheaper from which airport? YSR bring up a valid point.....is Early - mid Sept. too late in the year? I might consider driving if it is cost effect.....even to rent something that got the good mileage. Hate to get hassled by the canucks, would rather stay is US.

Yes, I do remember route 66 and at some point we will be on it.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,538,679 times
Ohh and driving really isn't cheap. It is probably cheaper than two people flying round trip and renting a car though. My post kind of came off that it was cheap to drive. And if you have a problem with Canadians, might be better to just fly in then.

Heck you should go up during summer solstice and play a midnight round.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,629,063 times
Early to mid September will be at the tail end of the season, but I know at least the Palmer course stays open until the snow hits.
Flying into Anchorage and renting a car would be the most effective way to do this. But you want to reserve your car now. Prices go up on Alaska car rentals as time goes by.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,960,171 times
The weather in early to mid September can be dicey. I'd make it early to mid August if I were you.

This is up Wasilla Fishhook Road on 6/29 at 9:30pm

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage