Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,535,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Cabela's should have no problem selling their clothes, camping gear, and other gear that is not fishing or hunting related in Alaska.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of Cabela's clothes are also geared toward the lower-48, being made of cotton or a cotton blend. Cotton clothes can be a death sentence in Alaska, if they get wet. Although Cabela's use to sell a nice wool-nylon blend shirt for a while. That was ideal for Alaska, but unfortunately I cannot seem to find them any longer.

Both Cabela's and Bass Pro are geared toward selling fishing and hunting gear for the lower-48. Alaska is not like the lower-48 with regard to hunting and fishing. First and foremost, Alaska does not have any pan fish (bass, crappie, blue gill, sunfish, catfish, etc., etc.). Alaskan lake fish are Lake Trout, illegal (and tiny) Northern Pike, and land-locked lakes stocked with salmon. By far the most common fish that is fished for in Alaska are salmon, and the most common placed fished are rivers, creeks, and streams.

So of all the fishing gear Cabela's and Bass Pro sell, maybe 1% to 5% of it is of use in Alaska. The same is true for their hunting gear. There are no quail, pheasant, or turkeys in Alaska, and duck and geese hunting in Alaska is not like hunting duck or geese in the lower-48.

I have nothing against either store. I regularly buy clothes and camping equipment from Cabela's, and will continue to do so. However, my hunting and fishing gear comes from local sporting good stores. I suspect that Cabela's will do better than Bass Pro in Alaska considering that Cabela's sells other products besides fishing gear.

So, if I want to visit Alaska in the middle of Winter, where should I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,222 times
I will check them out once all the hype dies down, in about a year.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
So, if I want to visit Alaska in the middle of Winter, where should I go?
If you are going to be out in the bush for any length of time, avoid cotton or down. Buy wool, polyester, polypropylene, thermalite, or any other synthetic material that does not retain water. It really does not matter the time of year. You can get hypothermia during the summer as well. Just remember, in Alaska cotton can kill.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 PM

4,919 posts, read 2,064,729 times
Finally went to Cabela's this weekend and wasn't too impressed... "I" will still buy from Sportsman's Warehouse since their daily prices are much better.

Cabela's was very flashy and eye catching as well, but the next time you're there, check out their over priced used guns in the "Gun Room."...Not bashing them, just stating a fact... IMHO.

Heck, even Great Northern Guns had better prices on most of their new guns than Cabela's... Which is a good thing since they are still in the fight and I don't see them going under anytime soon.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:47 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
Quote:
Cabela's should have no problem selling their clothes, camping gear, and other gear that is not fishing or hunting related in Alaska.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of Cabela's clothes are also geared toward the lower-48, being made of cotton or a cotton blend. Cotton clothes can be a death sentence in Alaska, if they get wet. Although Cabela's use to sell a nice wool-nylon blend shirt for a while. That was ideal for Alaska, but unfortunately I cannot seem to find them any longer.

Both Cabela's and Bass Pro are geared toward selling fishing and hunting gear for the lower-48. Alaska is not like the lower-48 with regard to hunting and fishing. First and foremost, Alaska does not have any pan fish (bass, crappie, blue gill, sunfish, catfish, etc., etc.). Alaskan lake fish are Lake Trout, illegal (and tiny) Northern Pike, and land-locked lakes stocked with salmon. By far the most common fish that is fished for in Alaska are salmon, and the most common placed fished are rivers, creeks, and streams.

So of all the fishing gear Cabela's and Bass Pro sell, maybe 1% to 5% of it is of use in Alaska. The same is true for their hunting gear. There are no quail, pheasant, or turkeys in Alaska, and duck and geese hunting in Alaska is not like hunting duck or geese in the lower-48.

I have nothing against either store. I regularly buy clothes and camping equipment from Cabela's, and will continue to do so. However, my hunting and fishing gear comes from local sporting good stores. I suspect that Cabela's will do better than Bass Pro in Alaska considering that Cabela's sells other products besides fishing gear.
Pike aren't tiny in the Interior, and don't forget about grayling, similar to trout.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,138 times
Quote:

So it would be unwise to purchase any winter clothing in the lower-48? I keep seeing posts about how expensive everything is in AK and was planning to try and get my girls (7mo and 2yrs) stuff before we move but I have no desire to endanger them to save a penny... The closest thing I have to a winter coat is a micro-fleece zip-up so entire wardrobes are needed.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Angel View Post
So it would be unwise to purchase any winter clothing in the lower-48? I keep seeing posts about how expensive everything is in AK and was planning to try and get my girls (7mo and 2yrs) stuff before we move but I have no desire to endanger them to save a penny... The closest thing I have to a winter coat is a micro-fleece zip-up so entire wardrobes are needed.
My comments concerning cotton pertained to those who spend a lot of time outdoors. Cotton retains water, and even in 50°F to 60°F temperatures one can catch hypothermia if they are wet. I seriously doubt you will be allowing a seven month and two month old spend much time in rainy conditions. Cotton is much less of an issue if you have a warm dry home where you can seek shelter. If camping or hiking in the bush, even a mild case of hypothermia can cause disorientation and poor judgement. Both can be fatal in Alaska.

Down is definitely the best insulator, but you cannot get it wet. If you want something you can throw in your washer, some kind of synthetic would work best. You can also buy wool/synthetic blends which can also be washed in a washer. Multiple layers works better than just one super-warm jacket. You can adjust your attire to the weather better with layers.

As to whether to buy in the lower-48 or wait until you get to Alaska:
  • If you buy in the lower-48 and then bring it to Alaska, you are paying more for the gasoline, not to mention the space it will occupy. Which could cost about the same as buying the product in Alaska.
  • If you buy in Alaska, you save the personal transportation costs, but end up paying for shipping the product to Alaska.
Either way, it is pretty much a wash as far as costs are concerned. The real question is, how much do you want to bring with you? The more you bring, the bigger the hassle.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 7,138 times
Thanks for the info

Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
My only concern with buying "everything" when I get to AK,is that since I am driving I need some stuff for the family as we drive up there. Like "Broken Angel" we have an extremely limited wardrobe when it comes to cold weather clothing. And while the plan is to go in the summer and even if it is bitter cold out go from warm vehicle to a warm building like a Hotel, Restaurant, or gas station, you need to be prepared to be broken down on the side of the road in a vehicle without heat for potentially a LONG time...

So if Broken Angel is driving, especially with an infant and a small child/toddler - that should be taken into account. As you mentioned even in the dead of summer it can get quite cold in areas. In fact, looking at my shortest route to AK, there is still a lot of snow on that route. (In SK, Canada)

Just something for anyone driving to AK to keep in mind. Now if you are flying into town and know you will be getting clothes the second you arrive - you can prepare for just the temps you will see when you get there.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:13 AM

284 posts, read 405,648 times
Sounds like you are thinking you are driving into the polar ice cap or something! You can "outfit" yourself here or there. Cheap is cheap, no matter where you buy it! Spend a few bucks on decent stuff and its all good! And think "layers" of clothes--cause if you got it on, you can always take it off! Driving up here in summer is beautiful--even through Canada! Jacket weather at night sometimes but you aren't scraping ice off every day of the year! It'll take time to get use to it no matter what if you are coming from Fl. probably. Drove the Alcan in Feb. one year in a two wheel drive Toyota and wore my insulated coveralls and was just fine. But I was a bit younger than! Its 47 here right now and just smoked a fine cigar outside wearing a long sleeved t-shirt. We lived down there in Florida for a year and a half and liked to have froze my ass off when it got down to 50 there! Anyway, we have to mail order some stuff here cause we don't have stuff like bass pro or cabelas here. But its real rare. Matter of fact, went to Anchorage to buy a new television last Oct. Shipping it back here was real cheap thru Alaska Airlines. Another thought, if you are driving all the way up, possibly stop in some of the stores in the northern states and maybe get a good deal on some winter stuff that goes on sale in the summer months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage