Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 AM

20 posts, read 23,830 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are due to arrive in the Anchorage area around May 1st. We are currently in search of an apartment. Unsure what exact location our jobs will be in. (I understand about not coming with out a job, we both have skills and enough money saved up, this is not the argument for this thread) Have been to the area several times before. Who can recommend an apartment complex in Anchorage and/or the valley. Looking for a one bedroom or a large studio, 6 month lease. Prefer to have options in both areas. Any info will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:43 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
The Valley doesn't have a lot of "apartment complexes". Most of what we have is four-plexes or small apartment buildings scattered around.
If it was me going into it blind, I'd work with a Realtor. Something like this: Search Rentals - Page 1

Old 10-22-2014, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,678 times
What about Craigslist? There seem to be quite a few listed there that are fairly reasonable for a two bedroom and some even include heat.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Just be aware that some Craiglist ads are scams... Have your guard up.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Yea, Craigslist seems to be good for looking up cut rate deals at complexes. I've seen some cabins, and houses for rent but I don't think they are going to go ahead and give us a lease like a complex will. We've been in touch with several, and the complexes seem to not have a problem renting to out-of-towners. We assumed we'd have to pay the whole lease up front but "The Alaska Landlord and tenet act" prohibits from collecting more than 2 months pre-paid rent.

Anyone know anything about McKinley towers, 337 E. 4th Avenue? Was advised that it was in a questionable neighborhood.

Thanks for all the advise!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,678 times
That was a concern of mine too, gimpthe. How do you rent an apartment if you get there without a job lined up, since I've found that most landlords want proof of employment... We plan on having a good cushion of cash before we come up in late spring if we don't have jobs lined up, but I'm glad to hear that you've contacted some and haven't had a problem being from out-of-town. Thanks for this thread too, it'll be helpful to hear more about good neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfAK View Post
That was a concern of mine too, gimpthe. How do you rent an apartment if you get there without a job lined up, since I've found that most landlords want proof of employment... We plan on having a good cushion of cash before we come up in late spring if we don't have jobs lined up, but I'm glad to hear that you've contacted some and haven't had a problem being from out-of-town. Thanks for this thread too, it'll be helpful to hear more about good neighborhoods. Good luck!
The ones my wife talked to said that they do this all the time based on the amount of seasonal workers in coming. They have said starting January the calls start flooding in about acquiring rental spaces. Rent is based on marked value. So things are cheap now in the winter, once summer starts coming in, it gets higher. My wife does HR at a major University hospital, and I can operate most any equipment on wheels or tracks. We're not planning on trying to send resumes out until, March I would guess. Most apartment complexes on the website, says credit and criminal history background checks. A few of the rental homes/cabins want employment/finance proofs. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpthe View Post
Anyone know anything about McKinley towers, 337 E. 4th Avenue? Was advised that it was in a questionable neighborhood.
That building survived the '64 earthquake, but had some structural damage. One point it was abandoned and set empty for decades. There were numerous attempts to tear it down. It finally got completely renovated a few years back. I've never been in it, but I hear it's pretty nice. But it does sit on the grittier edge of downtown... It's just a few blocks from the homeless shelter and soup kitchen.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,737 times
Craigslist is about it, your not going to find a realtor to represent you for something like this. they would not make very much money doing it. Renting in anchorage or the valley is just painful and thats just the way it is but its better than trying to buy with little down and having to pay PMI and getting an unfavorable interest rate and finding yourself upside down in a mortgage (yes it can happen even in anchorage with condos), not to mention huge monthly payments due to the low down.

Its just the resultant pain of not being born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage