Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times

Advertisements

I don't even like using the softer ice scraper brush on the paint, but I don't see much choice. It is why I wax the heck out of it during the week we call "fall". I have a folding cover that the last part doesn't fold up out of the way, so getting in the bed isn't an option. Besides the fact with the snow and ice I'd probably kill myself jumping out of it.

Rear license plate clean? How do you manage that, I got it cleaned off at the car wash and by the time I drove 1.5 miles home you couldn't read it again... I figured that is why they make us have front plates. Luckily my tail lights don't get that bad that quick...

My dream home will have a huge heated garage with the ability to wash off a car or a truck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 02:06 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
I am still off work from shoulder surgery, but when I am driving 16 miles a day on a dirt road I have to wipe off my license plate and tail lights every day. I admittedly don't bother with the license plate unless I'm driving to town... no one out here cares, but I do the tail lights every day so people can see me! I just use a shop rag and I wear insulated leather gloves when it's cold.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
They have two really nice RV parks in Nome and provide free hookups and electric on the pack ice.
Maybe if the OP can travel the Nome Highway all the way to Nome?

Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 PM

Riceme - Whatever I can do to make sure I am seen, I do... I do make an attempt to clean off the plate - even though it doesn't last. I live "in town" and travel into Anchorage often.

Funny Ray... Got a chuckle out of that one.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Riceme - Whatever I can do to make sure I am seen, I do... I do make an attempt to clean off the plate - even though it doesn't last. I live "in town" and travel into Anchorage often.

Funny Ray... Got a chuckle out of that one.
Me too, Dak... my truck is white, so I need all the help I can get, hahaha! I also drive with my headlights on all the time. I always have, just a safety habit I picked up at work, but whether it's summer and the sun is blinding oncoming traffic or it's winter, driving with your lights on helps the other guy to be able to see you.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,657 times
New city law would ban RV camping in Anchorage parking lots

Google above.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Last I read it doesn't outright ban it, it makes the parking lot holder get a permit to allow it...

BUt if it is something you are planning on doing, it is something I would follow. Never heard of major issues with this, so wondering where it is coming from? Obviously someone had a complaint.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,702 times
I would be more concerned about whether RVs have enough insulation to keep people warm in the wintertime and they're not exactly bear proof. More like tin cans for the bears to peel off to reveal live sardines (people) inside!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 AM

460 posts, read 609,437 times
My DH lived in a "68" trailer 10 feet long over 1 winter in the mid 80's in Wasilla, he said he sometimes spent $5.00 a day in propane to heat it.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:53 AM

12 posts, read 31,172 times
Talking Moving to AK from FL

So I just moved here from FL last summer. I can give you my pointers. I live in the Valley 45 minutes from Anchorage and work in Anchorage. I was going to come in a camper, 31 ft long. However it would have been cheaper for me to stay in the camper instead of all of the hotels, the small little camping stops are so tiny, so if you have a big camper, I hope you know hoe to maneuver it. The roads are crazy and the mountains had lots of construction and I would have been paranoid towing a camper, I did have a big uhaul.

There is not that many places to camp in AK that are open year round, one in Anchorage is the golden nugget. The camp ground are not what you think of when you think of a camp ground. And now that I am here it looks like a parking lot with a lot of campers,and the spaces/lots are tiny. Not a nice looking place, but will save you money.

If you were going to camp all year I hope you have had a camper for several years because things could go wrong more often up here because of the weather. I would of enclosed my whole bottom of the camper with fiber glass to keep pipes from freezing, theres also hose heaters and pipe heaters. The lowest the temp got so far is -12 but only a handful of days in the negatives. Mostly in the single digits and teens. And supposably this was the most snow they have gotten up here in years, about 3-4 ft accumulative.

EVERYTHING up here is more exspensive. I make 18$ roughly and still don't have enough, but my rent is 1250. So staying in a camper will save you more money the lot fees were cheaper then in Clearwater FL. It would just depend on how old and well adjusted your kids will be and how ambitious you are to move here in a camper. There are people that live in school buses built to "Houses" and shack cabins that probably have less insulation then your camper. Another thing, how old of a camper, if it is on its last leg, not sure how good that will be.

You can claim residensy in a campground, you need an alaska license and live here for 12 months then you have to wait for it to open and then apply, so about 20 months. Maybe move more out from Anchorage and it might be cheaper, but again, don't know of the places open year round for camping. And a lot of stuff I couldn't find out online, I found once I was here. .

I am completely happy I moved here and I love it. Yes it is more exspensive but it's exactly what I wanted here so I don't mind paying more. You can also, hunt, fish, and gather food, gardens, and raise chickens more up here so that helps to offset the price. Then the PFD helps offset the increase. So there are things to do. You get more foodstamps up here if you approved and medicaid for kids and adults. So if you need help that way theres a plus. Lots of programs here for the people who want help. Lots of apartment for rent signs around anchorage, best to call local realestate agencies if going that route, and plenty of jobs. If your a go getter and love the cold you could do fine up here in a camper. Target has been hiring since I moved up here 6 months ago. And they started my daughter off at 10.25/ hr. Not a career for a family to live off of but its an income.

Don't forget parts aren't as easy to get round here and take longer and more money to ship up here.

Hope this helps, ask me anyting else and if I can answer I will....Good Luck!!!

Again only my opinion and things can change month to month so no need for anyone to be mean and yell...

Happy Travels!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage