Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,449,050 times

Advertisements

adn.com | Anchorage : Sucker punched: Late snow puts spring on hold

The link above will give you information on what happens when it snows up here. It is from our daily newspaper. We got slammed with snow yesterday and people just forget how to drive. So if you plan on moving up here, please be sure you know how to drive in snow and ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 47,739 times
Well, honestly, people may say they "know" how to drive in these conditions, but they really don't know until they get here. It's going to be a trial by fire no matter what. The last week further reaffirmes why I won't ever want to live in the Valley and work in Anchorage.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,985,955 times
I have friends (a family of four with two little kids) from Maryland who moved up to Eagle River 2 weeks ago. They were thinking winter was over. Their snowboots are packed in with their furniture which will be there in 6 weeks -- oops.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM

686 posts, read 3,718,116 times
It can really snow anytime in Anchorage between Sept and May. When I lived in AK from 90-'03 before moving away to go to college, i had seen snow in April (heavy snows) and light snow towards may.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,981,495 times
Has it ever snowed in August?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM

Default No snow in August...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Has it ever snowed in August?
But sometimes lots of rain. It does and has snowed in September.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,477,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I have friends (a family of four with two little kids) from Maryland who moved up to Eagle River 2 weeks ago. They were thinking winter was over. Their snowboots are packed in with their furniture which will be there in 6 weeks -- oops.
Winter is not officially over until the tripod falls into the Tanana River during the Nenana Ice Classic. This usually occurs the first week of May. If you can guess the exact time, down to the minute, you can win yourself a nice chunk of change.

It has never snowed in August in the Mat-Su Valley in the 17 years I've been here, but it has snowed in late August in Fairbanks and other areas in the interior. It is pretty rare through.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 AM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
adn.com | Anchorage : Sucker punched: Late snow puts spring on hold

The link above will give you information on what happens when it snows up here. It is from our daily newspaper. We got slammed with snow yesterday and people just forget how to drive. So if you plan on moving up here, please be sure you know how to drive in snow and ice.
I don't worry too much because I walk everywhere anyway and a bicycle will do fine provided I know where I'm going to. I face a bigger danger in GA because snow is so rare that when it does snow, alot of motorists freak out and forget how to drive. More people die in GA during the winter from automobile accidents then from the cold itself.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Default True, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't worry too much because I walk everywhere anyway and a bicycle will do fine provided I know where I'm going to. I face a bigger danger in GA because snow is so rare that when it does snow, alot of motorists freak out and forget how to drive. More people die in GA during the winter from automobile accidents then from the cold itself.
Always be extra careful while on your bike and walking. Too many instances up here of people running red lights and stop signs. Seems like crazy drivers are all over the U.S. anymore. Yes lol I know about when it snows down south, 1" and they are ready to close everything up.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:43 AM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Always be extra careful while on your bike and walking. Too many instances up here of people running red lights and stop signs. Seems like crazy drivers are all over the U.S. anymore. Yes lol I know about when it snows down south, 1" and they are ready to close everything up.
Good point. I know all about that. I find it quite scary is people freak out bcause of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage