Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,146 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,
I currently live in Traverse City, Michigan and am reaaallllyyy thinking about moving to Alaska. It's always been a dream of mine and figure, hey, might as well while I've got the chance, right?! I'll be finishing up school after next semester and am thinking that'd be a great time to go. I was looking into the Kenai area, but since Anchorage is a bigger town, I'd imagine there would be a better chance of getting a job. I'd be looking for a small apartment for myself, only problem being that I wouldn't for sure have a job ready to go, so finding an apt might be tough. I am currently working at Kohls, so I could possibly transfer. That's an option I've been thinkin about. Anyways, so some of my questions for you guys are: What's a good area to move to? Kenai (or smaller town) vs. Anchorage?How is the job economy? Cost-of-Living? Schools? Anyone who lives in the area with helpful advice on relocation would be amazing.

Thanks so much!!
Sari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 PM

376 posts, read 833,217 times
Just so you know, I don't think there is a Kohl's in Kenai. It is a small community on the Kenai Peninsula. The Kohl's would be here in Anchorage. You can get on Craigs List and get an idea of what rental cost is like in Alaska. It might be wise to visit up here before making a move.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,146 times
Hey there,
Yeah, I know there isn't a Kohl's in Kenai, hence one of the reasons I was thinking maybe Anchorage. We had a lady from out Kohl's transfer up there a year or so ago; thought if I did that, I'd at least have something to start with. I did check out the Craigslist, tryin to get an idea. Just lookin for opinions on the area and what towns people would suggest as nice ones to move to. I really would like to visit first, but would like to have an idea of places to check out before I head up. Thanks for your reply!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,295 times
Hey there. I am in your exact shoes. Im a senior at the university of northern colorado and will be graduating come may and have the same ambitions as yourself. My dad is a seasonal hunting guide up there and I was fortunate to visit alaska a few years ago. I am going back up there come May for a couple weeks and cannot wait!!! I have been to the Kenai area along with soldatna and surrounding areas and I loved it all. I feel as though it really depends on the person and what your are looking for in a place to live that sould dictate where in Alaska you live. I have been doing alot of reasearch just in the past couple hours as to what particular cities in AK offer what. Im excited for you just keep at it and do your homework!! DD

Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Yeah for UNC!! I obtained my BSN there!!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 AM

NO WAY?! WOW small world!! Yep im getting my bachelors in Criminal Justice!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM

261 posts, read 507,229 times
I just moved here a year ago from Michigan. Alaska is a huge state with a lot of great areas to live. Of course living in Anchorage gives you the most job opportunities. The economy here is much better than Michigan, you won't have any problem getting employment as long as you can pass a background check. Background checks aren't all that common in Michigan, but they are standard here. The Kenai is awesome, I spent the summer commercial fishing there. There's a lot of activity there during the warmer months, it's really quiet in the winter. If you chose Anchorage, keep in mind that you are moving to a large city, much bigger than Traverse City. You have to watch your ass here.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,271,537 times
Hiya Sari.
I'm from Harbor Springs, MI. Moved here about 3 years ago. Hope your move goes well.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Tamchi11 - it definitely is a small world!! I moved here to Alaska from Colorado October of 09. I haven't regretted it!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Really right on!!, how'd the move up there go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage