Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 PM

364 posts, read 991,029 times

Advertisements

Can any Anchorage residents please give me their thoughts on honest and trusthworthy auto repair shops? In Las Vegas, where I moved from I had a great shop and they were certified by AAA but I need to find one in Anchorage ASAP. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 PM

655 posts, read 916,342 times
Trustworthy and auto repair rarely, if ever go hand in hand. There are a few, but I have yet to meet them. If this thread leads to any such thing, let me know. I'll add them to my list.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I use a private retired auto mechanic for my stuff if I don't do it myself. I have no experience with anyone in Anchorage. Have you checked the phone book o ryellow pages/

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 26,708 times
My daughter uses Jon Beier. He's very honest and recently one of his mechanics admitted to accidently nudging the radiator on my daughter's car during other repairs, thereby causing a radiator leak. He certainly could have just charged her for fixing the radiator without telling her it was his fault. She would never have known the difference.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 AM

10 posts, read 34,993 times
L & M Motors is FANTASTIC!! VERY honest and helpful...will explain anything to ya... My family has gone there for YEARS.

A word of caution...Meineke has some mechanics that are crooked.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM

364 posts, read 991,029 times
Thanks all! And I know about Meineke - they're the same in Las Vegas (where I used to live).

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 AM

63 posts, read 225,002 times
When I was a young college girl in Utah, I was looking for an honest repair shop. I asked my parents if they had advice on how to find a good one and they said to take the car to the service department at the dealer - my mom said "they have a vested interest in keeping you happy because they want you to come back and buy cars from them". I have done that, happily, though there are some things I don't like, I have utilized Lithia Dodge's service department and Continental Suzuki's service department, and have been happy with how they have kept our cars running there. Plus, I love the free shuttles.

Yes it may be more expensive, but at least I know I'm getting ripped off as equally as the next guy if you want to look at it that way - there's no worry of "oh I'm a woman they're going to charge me more or tell me something's wrong when it's not". The mechanic doesn't know whether I"ma woman or not, and the 'service advisor" guy probably knows as much as I do about cars which is next to nothing.

I'm sure plenty of you have had horror stories about the dealer shops, but thankfully I haven't so I continue to use them. They're good at least to go to until you hear about good ones from your friends and neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage