Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,039,011 times

Advertisements

Yes...come visit. That's the coldest, darkest time of year.

But it's the real Alaska. Rent a pair of snowshoes and go up to Denali State Park, say just North of Honolulu Creek, in the middle of the day so you will be in the light. Then just walk off the road a mile or so.

Hopefully it'll be about -30 or so. Take a lot of photos, if it's a clear sunny day you will love looking at them later. The frost on the snow in the sunlight is pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 22,214 times
Thank you everybody for the input! I've booked our flights leaving Dec 25 returning Jan 3.

Thank you AK for the especially helpful information about the rental car. I think a car equipped with the proper snow tires would be in my best interest.

I think our plans for our stay in Anchorage will be to soak up some local flavor around the city and then do some outdoors activities like snow shoeing and snowmobiling in the back country. Homer looks like it would be a lot of fun for me to check out but I don't know if I'll have the time to get down there, of if I'm up for the drive. I'll leave that as a wildcard..

My hope is that there are no troubles ont he way to fairbanks. I've researched Denali and do plan to take a look at some of the spectacular views it has My girlfriend really wants to go to North Pole... so I'll take her there when we're staying at Fairbanks.

Thanks again everybody, and please let me know if you have any further advice or recommendations!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:07 PM

395 posts, read 1,718,110 times
Maybe I am just becoming paranoid and over cautious in my old age. I know you all up the North Country know the area better than I. In my younger days, (Try middle age)I've traveled in snow and ice before and I was mostly on familiar road w/ other vehicles around so if I slide off the road, at least someone will note the accident so help can be on the way before I freeze my tail off. If I recall, I was averaging maybe 25 to 30 mph This was during mostly daylight hours. Just10' is trying to cover an area between Anchorage and Fairbanks in about a week. Also, he and a friend will try to make Chena Hot Springs and maybe, North Pole. And this is driving mostly during dusk during the deepest of winter. I've been to Chena before and that is not the best road. Thinking out loud, If I were J', I would try to impress the friend with a less ambitious plan

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 08-04-2008 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,201 times
So - how was your trip?? We're going this summer and are interested in many of the sites you mentioned. How was your trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks?? Thanks for the input!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 39,854 times
Hello, I have exactly the same plan... visiting Anchorage around New Year's time, Dec 26-Jan 3, I hope. I read carefully this topic and I found a lot of interesting data.

However, I have some more questions about visiting Anchorage and the neighbourhood, especially about the Aurora Borealis. Is it the period to see it? Is there any good place where we might expect to see some of them?

Please let me know if you have other advice for me. This will be also my first visit to Alaska and any advice will be much appreciated.

Moreover, if we can have a feedback from the person who post this topic, it would be perfect.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 07:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,366,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Good for you. IMO, winter is the most beautiful time of the year up here, particularly from a photographic point of view. I’m surprised more people don’t make the trip. After all, winter is probably more representative of the “real” Alaska experience that most think of anyway, so why not.
I agree completely, everything seems crisper and sharper in winter to the OP - just brings lots of warm clothes, especially if you're not used to winter temperatures. Heck, a quick drive down to Whittier will give you a instant taste of smaller more remote towns........

Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
They didn't make it to Alaska. This thread is way old.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM

How long does it take to go to Whittier from Anchorage, especially in this period? Better to sleep one night at this location?

And what's about the weather? Snowing everyday or some days can be sunny with low temperature?

At what time the sun goes down and at what time the sun rises? It's not a 24h/day dark period?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 PM

This is an old thread, but I want to use it, to get more information... I'm currently planning the same trip in Alaska (between Dec 2009 and Jan 2010)!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:17 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,030,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc001 View Post
How long does it take to go to Whittier from Anchorage, especially in this period? Better to sleep one night at this location?

And what's about the weather? Snowing everyday or some days can be sunny with low temperature?

At what time the sun goes down and at what time the sun rises? It's not a 24h/day dark period?
At that time of year, sunrise is approx 10am, and sunset approx 3:30pm, but the days are beginning to slowly lengthen. Weather is just like anywhere else, when a storm front moves through it gets cloudy and snows for a few days, then it clears up and gets sunny. Actually, when a front moves in from the gulf temperatures warm up, then cool back down when the clouds move off and allow more radiative cooling at night. You could expect anything from -20F to +20F.

If the tunnel is open, the round trip can easily be done in a day, but due to the short daylight, splitting it into 2 days allows better sightseeing opportunities. If you are really adventurous and have the time, my recomendation would be to drive to Whittier, catch a ferry to Valdez, and drive back to Anchorage through Thompson pass and Glennallen. Maybe do the overnight in Valdez. Just requires more research and pre-planning, and you could easily get shut down and stranded in Valdez if the weather closes the pass. But the scenery is breathtaking, particularly in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage