Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Mr bob can make Skagway, Alaska half way point. rest for several days at Free off season national park campground nine miles from town. Mr bob should leave April 15.
that sounds better bob..only thinking of your well being and enjoyment of the trip!!! and figuring in unavoidable (hopefully not) unforeseen delays while driving...hoperfully not for you...but always have plan B....extra time on the road!!! soooo....you will post during the trip and update us??? please??? thanks...

Old 03-21-2009, 12:52 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Wink Alcan

OK read this thread till - page 45 skipped to 52...... couldn't do anymore

Hope you do post Bob - I will be leaving around frist of May to 3rd from Mt Rainer/Seattle
Single woman with dog never drove Alcan before soo looking for info - have the milepost/ Lonley planet and Campground for Alcan.... not taking ferry dates don't work and too expensive for my dates.. only thing works out is Prince Rup to Haines. but it doesn't seem to be productive vrs just driving it all .. going to Seward.... Start work in Seward around 5/15 have the animal certificate and passport house and job no worries...

Have couple of questions -
1 does xm radio work = have a chevy 1500 will renew if it does
2 Onstar work? will give me then satallite phone vrs verizon how well does it work?
3 Looked like I would enjoy highway 37 or should just do the staight route?
4 GMac warrenty saying they will warrenty all work along the way and road side assitance but I really question that ... anyone know before I buy an extended warrenty? I worked in car indunstry but still feel that is BS.

Any other ideas or suggestions -have canopy on truck and put futon inside with straw lined - have all the camping stuff and clothes! Would like to have a gun but going across Canada guessing no go...

Thanks Mahalo

Now that would be questions - as Bob planning but would love local entertaiment and advice...

use debit/credit card across canada vrs getting cash?

Ohh and should book any hotels now if I choose not to stay in back of truck - can camp but if choose not too should I book in advance for a place for hot shower and bed for the night.

I am assuming it isn't that difficult to find hotels that takes dogs or Im I wrong- he can stay in the truck ....but prefer not... no big deal though

Thanks again--- hope this spring starts to clear up from weird weather for all of us!

Ok that is it for questions at moment

Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 AM

49 posts, read 108,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Mr bob learned how to set up REI 4 person dome tent. Yes your right from Florida. Auto Club AAA was at today for trip books and map out whole trip, 4,800 miles. yes indeed.
Bob, I made my first trip down the Alcan with a guy who had AAA. The trip books were useful, and would have been more useful if he had paid attention to them and not gotten lost twice in Montana. His car broke down 20 miles from anywhere and when we got a ride to where his phone worked he learned about a little problem with AAA: That it's the AMERICAN Automobile Association and we were in Canada. We needed CAA, but he wasn't a member of theirs. He was on the phone most of the night trying to sort that out with them and I don't know if he ever got it straight. He ended up paying cash for the tow that night. That was ten years ago and maybe AAA and CAA work together a bit better now than they did then. Just something you might want to check in to or at least be aware of...

Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,592 times
Mr bob has Ford extended warrantee that works both in united states and canada. $100 detectable and they will even toe with emergency service. two years worth, 75,000 miles. I just got AAA auto club for hotel, campground discounts and use of the trip maps. in Fairbanks I will get oil change from Ford. I have T mobile cellular that works in most of canada. yes indeed.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 AM

any campgrounds open end of April start of May around Denali State park?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
OK read this thread till - page 45 skipped to 52...... couldn't do anymore

Hope you do post Bob - I will be leaving around frist of May to 3rd from Mt Rainer/Seattle
Single woman with dog never drove Alcan before soo looking for info - have the milepost/ Lonley planet and Campground for Alcan.... not taking ferry dates don't work and too expensive for my dates.. only thing works out is Prince Rup to Haines. but it doesn't seem to be productive vrs just driving it all .. going to Seward.... Start work in Seward around 5/15 have the animal certificate and passport house and job no worries...

Have couple of questions -
1 does xm radio work = have a chevy 1500 will renew if it does
2 Onstar work? will give me then satallite phone vrs verizon how well does it work?
3 Looked like I would enjoy highway 37 or should just do the staight route?
4 GMac warrenty saying they will warrenty all work along the way and road side assitance but I really question that ... anyone know before I buy an extended warrenty? I worked in car indunstry but still feel that is BS.

Any other ideas or suggestions -have canopy on truck and put futon inside with straw lined - have all the camping stuff and clothes! Would like to have a gun but going across Canada guessing no go...

Thanks Mahalo

Now that would be questions - as Bob planning but would love local entertaiment and advice...

use debit/credit card across canada vrs getting cash?

Ohh and should book any hotels now if I choose not to stay in back of truck - can camp but if choose not too should I book in advance for a place for hot shower and bed for the night.

I am assuming it isn't that difficult to find hotels that takes dogs or Im I wrong- he can stay in the truck ....but prefer not... no big deal though

Thanks again--- hope this spring starts to clear up from weird weather for all of us!

Ok that is it for questions at moment
You aren't going to get any replies from Bob. Only thing you are going to get out of him is Live At Five BBC News, Austrian Lawyers....

Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM

288 posts, read 350,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You aren't going to get any replies from Bob. Only thing you are going to get out of him is Live At Five BBC News, Austrian Lawyers....

yes indeed.

regards,
tb

lol, have waited patiently for a good chance to use it. Thank-you Warpt

Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
You are welcome!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Mr bob before road trip, car waxing. April 15 or 20 road trip starts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage