Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacket View Post
We are making a big circle through the state - Anchorage to Fairbanks to Paxson then onto Valdez and back to Anchorage. I'm assuming that the weather will get colder as we go north towards Fairbanks.
Interior Alaska is a lot warmer than most think, they have the coldest winters and the hottest summers. Lower 90's is not uncommon. The closer you get to the coast is where you get the cooler weather/rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 PM

38 posts, read 151,133 times
Those months are very good for a motorcycle trip and the route your going to take is awesome. I usually wear heingricke gear which is waterproof so can ride in heavy rains. I do however pack bluejeans for warmer weather. there is usually some construction between paxson and glenallen. Other then that it's pavement. What will you be riding?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 PM

82 posts, read 235,580 times
I will be riding a BMW F650. I chose this bike because it is most similar to the bike I ride at home. I'm trying to find gear that will be good for both the cooler temps as well as the warmer temps to avoid having to bring two sets of everything. Also looking for gear I can wear in the rain without having to bring a rain suit...I hate those things.

Right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that enough people will sign up for the tour...need a minimum of 6. With the economy the way it is I fear folks won't want to shell out a lot of money.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Get a Moose Racing jacket...

Moose Racing 2009 (http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1750&level2=1767&product_group_ id=7163 - broken link)

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1750&level2=1768&product_group_ id=7166 (broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
As others have pointed out, other than an occasional break in the road where there is construction, your entire route is paved. What nobody has mentioned yet, and should, are the frost heaves. When the soil under the road freezes and thaws it can create cracks and bumps in the road. The cracks are no big deal, usually an inch or smaller across and typically forming perpendicular to the road. The real concern for motorcyclists are the "bumps" or raised asphalt created by frost heaves. Some of them are marked, but every winter a new crop of frost heaves appear in the road that have yet to be fixed or marked. Without warning you could find yourself flying through the air.

Alaska's highways are not as well maintained as the highways in the lower-48. The asphalt they use in Alaska is not as durable as the asphalt used in the lower-48. Ruts are common, and you will find gravel on the highway in a variety of locations, particularly where a gravel road crosses the highway. The good news is that pot holes are relatively uncommon outside of the cities.

Eight days to drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks, to Delta Junction, to Valdez, to Anchorage is a nice way to see the state. It is a nice leisurely pace, giving you the opportunity to get off your bike and stretch your legs every couple hours to prevent Iron Butt.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

I think I'd use some sort of bicycle style compression shorts, the ones with butt pads sewn into them. I use them on longer snowmachine rides, well when I rode. They prevent chaffing.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM

38 posts, read 151,133 times
Pinkjacket, I also ride a f650 and it is perfect for Ak. roads. What Glitch said about the heaves is very true. Being able to swerve will help with that. As I said before the heingerick gear is great for all types of weather. No need for additional rain gear. I too hope that enough people will sign up so you can make your trip to beautiful Ak.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,361,230 times
juneau to skagway highway should be built. maybe bob the builder can build it with shell oil company. take many months with man, woman power. yes indeed.

Last edited by Bob Blockus; 01-17-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM

23 posts, read 55,780 times
Actually, it should get warmer as you head to Fairbanks and cooler as you head to Valdez. It's the opposite in the winter.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
I plan on traveling to Alaska on my motorcycle the first of July and I ordered the Milepost travel planner, it will answer alot of your questions, about road condition, weather, sight seeing and many other items.
[url=http://www.themilepost.com]The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner[/url]
Good luck on your adventure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage