Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
They did.

This I know is not true. There are certainly things one can do to lessen or raise their risk level, but plenty of people get victimized when they're not doing anything irresponsible. Not to mention the majority of sexual violence is between people who know one another, oftentimes family or significant others (although Anchorage does have an unusually high rate of stranger rape compared to the rest of the US).
Oh wow that was some good info, I had no idea upper hill side had so many rapes. I still think if you discount the rapes that are do to irresponsible behavior or knowingly putting yourself in a dangerous situations the numbers would be much lower, not 0 but lower, thus taking away the fear factor.

Good info even if the OP is long gone 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I still think if you discount the rapes that are do to irresponsible behavior or knowingly putting yourself in a dangerous situations the numbers would be much lower, not 0 but lower, thus taking away the fear factor.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Oh wow that was some good info, I had no idea upper hill side had so many rapes. I still think if you discount the rapes that are do to irresponsible behavior or knowingly putting yourself in a dangerous situations the numbers would be much lower, not 0 but lower, thus taking away the fear factor.

Good info even if the OP is long gone 3 years ago.
Considering the map is even older than this thread, I seriously question just how "good" the information may be.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM

306 posts, read 759,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciebear View Post
The reason why I ask is because I like to road and moutain bikes and it makes me nervous to think about being on the open road or trails and possibly being vulnerable to such a scarey act of violence. I am just trying to get a sense of what the city is like. I am not a bar person but outdoor person. I dont understand why it so high there.
It's so high because, short of Anchorage and the Southeast, men severely outnumber women in Alaska; and as I was told by another woman who had gone up there for a fish-canning job, just because there are lots of men doesn't mean they're good ones.

And BTW for some of us out here it doesn't matter where we go or with whom we keep company, some of us out here are sleazebag magnets anywhere we go. If we're Latina, Native, or "looks Black" we attract the worst kind of men and bring out the worst in the better ones no matter what. We don't have to be "all that," all we have to have is some shade of brown skin.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Anchorage is far from dangerous. Sure you have your crime like any other place in the world, but compared to other cities, Anchorage is very safe. I looked up statistics on rape, and it seems be highest in the villages, not in Anchorage. Domestic Violence is high in Anchorage but that's about it. 25 murders in 2007 for Anchorage. Not really bad by standards. I'm moving back to Anchorage in April and I can't wait to be able to walk the streets at 2 AM if I need to and not have to worry about getting mugged or something like that.
UMMMM - Domestic violence is worse than attack by a stranger because it's someone with whom you let your guard down, someone living in the same house with you, someone who has access to you and your things in your sleep, in your room, always, and forever, 24/7. It's not someone you think you HAVE to fight off of you and that's why it goes farther. Think about THAT when you think that "domestic violence isn't as bad as rape."

Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckaboo92 View Post
i am currently a female residing in anchorage, and anchorage is not like most other cities its every spread out and not densely populated at all. it all depends on the part of town. downtown between the hours of 3 and 5 are when the majority of rapes are reported and that is around the time when the majority of bars close in the area. so pretty much it all depends in the part of town and the time of day. and as a woman details like the rape rate can be especially frightening, and more so if you live in a home or apartment alone. if you do decide to move to anchorage i would suggest (even though it is common knowledge) don't walk around alone in the middle of the night in a bad part of town.
the crime rate has been especially high this year, but if you investigate that further its not residential areas, its bad parts of town, inconvenient time of night, and gang-bangers.
it all depends like all cities do, if you live in the ghetto, your risks go up.
Thanks for the heads-up; low income women ALWAYS wind up in the ghetto.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
It's so high because, short of Anchorage and the Southeast, men severely outnumber women in Alaska; and as I was told by another woman who had gone up there for a fish-canning job, just because there are lots of men doesn't mean they're good ones.

And BTW for some of us out here it doesn't matter where we go or with whom we keep company, some of us out here are sleazebag magnets anywhere we go. If we're Latina, Native, or "looks Black" we attract the worst kind of men and bring out the worst in the better ones no matter what. We don't have to be "all that," all we have to have is some shade of brown skin.
Please get over yourself. In the first place men USE to outnumber women but now that figure is about even. As for ANY woman regardless of what her origin is, as long as she has respect for herself and doesn't hang in sleazy bars getting drunk or hang with the wrong company, she should be fine. There are 'bad' men all over the place... the same for women. Keep thinking that you're a sleazebag magnet...you usually attract what you project!

The post is over 4 yrs old......why would anyone come here if they think it is so bad?

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 09-09-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
needs serious counseling!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:21 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
Quote:
low income women ALWAYS wind up in the ghetto.
I'd like to know where he gets this load of crap.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Was she here in, like, 1960?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage