Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:17 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciebear View Post
Hi there,

I am considering moving to Anchorage for my job. I am a single female and nervous about the move. I noticed that crime in Anchorage is very high, especially rape. It is the highest in the US. I compared it to NY and LA and it was still higher. It seems like I am more scared of the guys than the bears. Is it really that bad living there?

Gracie
It's bad. Not unmanageable though. Don't get drunk with strangers, don't leave your friends in a bar, don't leave your DRINK in a bar, don't trust anyone, not even bartenders and taxi drivers.

The guys here are utterly predatory and the culture is very misogynist. Take care of yourself and you'll be OK though.

This is an "end-of-roader" place and a lot of society's scum ends up here, sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciebear View Post
The reason why I ask is because I like to road and moutain bikes and it makes me nervous to think about being on the open road or trails and possibly being vulnerable to such a scarey act of violence. I am just trying to get a sense of what the city is like. I am not a bar person but outdoor person. I dont understand why it so high there.
There are lots of safe places to MTB and ride bikes. It's the city and "civilization" that's bad. There are places where the dirtbags tend to congregate and the best MTB is far from there.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL99 View Post
Also many rape cases aren't truly rape... usually the women decides to change her mind after she sobers up so on and so forth. Also a lot of the cases deal with the natives up there.

Cynthia
Wow. Case in point. That's the attitude up here, in a nutshell.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:13 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
It's so high because, short of Anchorage and the Southeast, men severely outnumber women in Alaska; and as I was told by another woman who had gone up there for a fish-canning job, just because there are lots of men doesn't mean they're good ones.

And BTW for some of us out here it doesn't matter where we go or with whom we keep company, some of us out here are sleazebag magnets anywhere we go. If we're Latina, Native, or "looks Black" we attract the worst kind of men and bring out the worst in the better ones no matter what. We don't have to be "all that," all we have to have is some shade of brown skin.
You are responding to a 4 year old post, and what you said about men out numbering women in Alaska is a myth.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 AM

27 posts, read 61,824 times
Camden New Jersey is the worst city in America. Anchorage is a cake walk compared to Camden NJ. Look up the crime stats.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusier311 View Post
Camden New Jersey is the worst city in America. Anchorage is a cake walk compared to Camden NJ. Look up the crime stats.
Obviously you did not bother to look anything up. You have that exactly backwards. Anchorage, AK, has a much higher violent crime rate than Camden, NJ. Clearly you are completely clueless.

Source:
Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2009

Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,748,855 times
as of May 2011 these are the 10 most dangerous cities.....happy to say Anchorage is not one of them!
The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. - National - The Atlantic

Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
as of May 2011 these are the 10 most dangerous cities.....happy to say Anchorage is not one of them!
The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St. - National - The Atlantic
Consider the source. Anchorage certainly should be on the list. The violent crime rate in Anchorage per 100,000 people is 853.6. Only Detriot, MI (1,139.8), Saginaw, MI (930.9), Memphis, TN (1,146.9), and Lawton, OK (1,018.4), rank worse than Anchorage. That makes Anchorage, Alaska, the fifth most violent city in the US.

Source: Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2009

Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,638,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Consider the source. Anchorage certainly should be on the list. The violent crime rate in Anchorage per 100,000 people is 853.6. Only Detriot, MI (1,139.8), Saginaw, MI (930.9), Memphis, TN (1,146.9), and Lawton, OK (1,018.4), rank worse than Anchorage. That makes Anchorage, Alaska, the fifth most violent city in the US.

Source: Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2009
Each year when Crime in the United States is published, many entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our Nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rankings, however, are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents.

Variables Affecting Crime - Crime in the United States 2009

In other words, it's every bit as subjective as any other source.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Each year when Crime in the United States is published, many entities—news media, tourism agencies, and other groups with an interest in crime in our Nation—use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rankings, however, are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular town, city, county, state, region, or other jurisdiction. Consequently, these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents.

Variables Affecting Crime - Crime in the United States 2009

In other words, it's every bit as subjective as any other source.
Thats true, if you filter out the "crimes" that are not really happening to random strangers and the native rapes you would come up with a MUCH lower number.

I dont really care as much about 2 natives getting drunk in an apt or a drunk woman getting raped at koots at 1am and who knows what other happenings, I am much more concerned with things like car jackings in board day light on my way to work or the store, armed robbery to random strangers, home invasions, etc. Thoes are the sorts of crimes that matter when an outsider is looking at a city to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage