Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM

104 posts, read 184,622 times

Advertisements

Man, I can't believe Muldoon is getting such a bum rap!!! I grew up off Muldoon (Pioneer Drive, close to Scenic Park elementary school) and I loved it. Then again, I was a kid and didn't know any better. And that was 20 years ago! I went to Bartlett, which I must say was a very good school, at least in the early 90s it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Anchorage has a much higher crime rate than other cities of comparible size. Anchorage even has a higher crime rate than New York or Los Angeles. Alaska is the worst state in the Union with regard to forcible rapes. Anchorage has the lowest percentage of forcible rapes in the state, and it is still more than double the national average.

See https://www.city-data.com/forum/2485754-post20.html

Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Default Oh please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceplacetovisit View Post
I would be more afraid to live in Wasilla or "the valley" for that matter. For fear of mistakeningly stumbling upon or getting to near to someones basement pot growing operation or some other sort of illegal drug production facility.
I will assume you live in Las Anchorage.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:00 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, it isn't true. First of all, you have to be above 67°N latitude (a.k.a. Arctic Circle) for there to be 24 hours of total darkness in the winter (or 24 hours of total daylight in the summer) and even then it only lasts for 3 months. The days begin to get shorter after the Summer Solstice, and begin to get longer after the Winter Solstice.
Well, here at a little more than 71 degrees North Latitude, it is NEVER "24 hours of total darkness", much less for 3 months of the year.

On December 21 there is enough light to drive a car without headlights on (not that it would be a smart thing to do in twilight).

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Why do I suspect the problem here is one of linguistics, "total" darkness, is normally found in mines and caves quite a ways underground where no light can make it in on it's own. Suspect the accurate term would be "relative" darkness, the night, even here in the lower 48 (without the benefit of the lights that dance in the sky) is not total darkness, but, relative darkness. It is night. Soooooooo, kinda by definition it is darker than day but it is not total darkness, I can see to walk around, I don't bump into trees or get lost in my own yard, both stars and moon shed enough light for visibility. Does Alaska get total darkness? No. Somehow I suspect I am not the only person who has noticed the effect a layer of snow has on night time visibility, almost a bluish tint, really pretty, I like watching the night sky, and landscapes, with snow on the ground, a falling snow clears the dust particles, smog, et al from the air, makes things clearer. I don't know if you can read a newspaper by the dancing lights - I gotta get back up there in winter so I can see them first hand, also wanna be in Fairbanks for the Ice Festival. From what I have read, one does not even find total darkness in Space, or, not at least the parts that humans have witnessed, as for the rest of space, tis a lot of it, virtually anything may be possible.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 AM

10 posts, read 35,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, it isn't true. First of all, you have to be above 67°N latitude (a.k.a. Arctic Circle) for there to be 24 hours of total darkness in the winter (or 24 hours of total daylight in the summer) and even then it only lasts for 3 months. The days begin to get shorter after the Summer Solstice, and begin to get longer after the Winter Solstice.

Anchorage, the largest city in Alaska, gets about 3.5 hours of daylight on Winter Solstice, and 20.5 hours of daylight on Summer Solstice.

If you aren't used to it, the lack of light can cause Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is a form of depression. Getting outside during the winter, or just staying active, a few extra lights around the house, and maintaining a regular sleep schedule is the best way to fight off those winter blues.
Slight correction here... Anchorage isn't dark for extended periods... The very north edge of the state of Alaska does stay dark for appx 3 months at a time (and conversely, light for appx 3 months).

Lighting is a great help to fend off SAD. Look for full spectrum bulbs with a rating of 90. Works wonders!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:17 AM

391 posts, read 1,030,209 times
Must be the pound on glitch thread. Alaskagirl, glitch said that Anchorage didn't get "dark" 24/7 in the winter. See his comment about daylight in Anchorage on the two solstices. Then dear ole Floyd retorted that it doesn't get "dark" up where he is at 71N.

As Dusty said, think it is a matter linguistic context and in this particular thread, glitch was speaking Greek to some.

Oompa!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Must be the pound on glitch thread.
Every thread is pound on glitch thread!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM

655 posts, read 916,994 times
Who the heck cares about total winter darkness, it is a mute arguement. That is because we have days on end of overcast, dark cloud days, complete with light drizzle, or down-pouring rain, for the enitre duration of the summer season............THEN we get the total darkness of winter. How nice it is! Anyone miss the sun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage