Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM

41 posts, read 163,283 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Anchorage area in 2 weeks and my husband will be working at the Elmendorf base. I found some nice places in Wasilla and was wondering if anyone makes that commute everyday and if so how is it. I am guessing it would be about an hour drive for him. We lived in Minnesota before so we are ok with snow (we will have to get reacclimated ), with that said, how much additional time do you think it will take with the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times
The drive is challenging - but not impossible, many do it. The 2 biggest challenges are #1 - lots of traffic into Anchorage on the typical daylight schedule.........and #2 the profound dark and winter driving. Oh wait, let me add #3 - people on the roads with NO winter driving sense!
I drove a lot in SW PA for work, and the roads here can be a bit worse as they're not treated with anti-skid or salt like in the lower 48. Just need to drive responsibly and be prepared.
We like the Wasilla area, and I prefer to live here and go to Anchorage for work - but I work night shift, so I have none of the traffic issues since I'm going opposite traffic.
Hope this helps!
Dawn

Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM

105 posts, read 274,934 times
I lived in Wasilla a few years ago and used to make the drive into Anchorage all the time. In my opinion, the drive isn't that bad at all. Half an hour on a good day. Traffic going back to Wasilla during the evening can be a headache though.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM

88 posts, read 207,439 times
What about car pooling? The reason I ask is that once our lease on base is up,(not til Jan!) we hope to move out to the Wasilla area. Just thought I'd bring up the idea so it could be thought about & perhaps worked out by the time we get out that way! :P

Old 05-01-2009, 05:30 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
There are several van pools that go back and forth between "the valley" and Anchorage everyday. I think there are also people who car pool privately. You shouldn't have any problem finding a ride share. I had a friend who lived out htere for a while. He said that between the price of gas and feeling like he was constantly on the road, he decided to move back to Anchorage. However, there are lots of people who choose to make the commute.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
My family and I are moving to the Anchorage area in 2 weeks and my husband will be working at the Elmendorf base. I found some nice places in Wasilla and was wondering if anyone makes that commute everyday and if so how is it. I am guessing it would be about an hour drive for him. We lived in Minnesota before so we are ok with snow (we will have to get reacclimated ), with that said, how much additional time do you think it will take with the snow?
The drive is one of the easiest commutes I've experienced lol. I don't know what's hard about it. One highway takes you straight there...traffic is minimal compared to almost every major city in the lower 48s. It's also a beautiful drive. An hour is a generous estimate. I usually do it in 40 minutes. It took an hour driving from Wasilla to ANC in December and that was doing the speed limit most of the way.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
Oh wait, let me add #3 - people on the roads with NO winter driving sense!
Their sense doesn't improve much in the summer either.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,909 times
Ok - personal opinion here, but the crazy drivers are the ditch divers and most of them tend to be pick up trucks for some reason. Studded tires are a good idea regardless of your vehicle, but there is a new tire out there and my daughter has it on her SUV (sticky tires?). She likes them and says she just has to be more careful on curves/turns - well, don't we all! ALSO, keep in mind that the kids here have very few snow days!! Roads are cleared very quickly and the Glenn Hwy (from Eagle River to bases (Ft. Rich & Elm AFB) are kept clear to keep the armed services working. No weeks off school for snow like on the east coast

Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
The drive is challenging - but not impossible, many do it. The 2 biggest challenges are #1 - lots of traffic into Anchorage on the typical daylight schedule.........and #2 the profound dark and winter driving. Oh wait, let me add #3 - people on the roads with NO winter driving sense!
I drove a lot in SW PA for work, and the roads here can be a bit worse as they're not treated with anti-skid or salt like in the lower 48. Just need to drive responsibly and be prepared.
We like the Wasilla area, and I prefer to live here and go to Anchorage for work - but I work night shift, so I have none of the traffic issues since I'm going opposite traffic.
Hope this helps!
Dawn
Who needs "driving sense" when we have amazing physic powers? Can't see the road because sheet-ice is sticking to the windshield or because of blinding snow? No problemo! Just put the pedal to the metal and rely on those amazing physic powers. It works everytime!

"Driving by Braille" also works, where you listen for the sound of all those little bumbs to indicate when you are driving on the shoulder to help you stay on the road.

Oh, and I drive back and forth from Wasilla to Anchorage every day.

See you on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage