Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,031,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA to AK?? View Post
...but I want neighbors.
That's quite possibly the first time I've heard that sentiment from someone wanting to move up here. Usually it's the other way round!

Quote:
What about this indoor water park? Is it hoaky or do kids love it?
I've never been inside, but I seem to remember it has changed ownership a few times. Not sure if that says anything about the popularity.

Quote:
I saw Seward has a great Aquarium. I assume about an hours drive in summer?
Yes, the Sea Life Center is very popular. Seward is about 2 or so hours on a good day - no snow and light traffic. Longer in Summer due to countless slow-poke RV's and general tourist congestion, or in Winter due to ice & hazardous travel conditions. Also depends on how often you stop to take pictures.

Quote:
I looked up some neighborhoods in S. Anchorage and some are really close to water.?
Yes, and some are up on the hills overlooking the inlet giving spectacular views. You just need to look around at all the areas before you buy.

Quote:
Is that a concern for storms that I should be worried about? I would love to look out my window and see water. In Snoqualmie, we had lots of wind gusts to 70 mph and if water were close by..well it would be bad. Does the area get windy?
70 mph! That's a gentle breeze - we should be so lucky! We had a couple windstorms last year with gusts clocked up to 110 mph! Fortunately those severe winds only happen a few times each year, but they do happen and aren't considered unusual. In general, the Turnagain Arm and the Hillside areas of Anchorage get quite windy whenever a frontal system moves in from the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 PM

14 posts, read 37,170 times
[quote=Moose Whisperer;9080824]That's quite possibly the first time I've heard that sentiment from someone wanting to move up here. Usually it's the other way round!

Ideally, I would like a subdivision with acre lots. I want neighbors for my kids, not me necessarily. It's kinda funny though, isn't it. People move up there for the wilderness and I want wilderness with neighbors!

Thanks for the info on winds. 70 mph is big to us since we never historically had it till the last 5 years or so.

Thanks for the tips about the inlets! I'll make sure to watch out for flying canoes! JK. That's crazy!

Thanks again. I appreciate the replies!~

Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM

51 posts, read 147,932 times
Default Homes with views

I'm not sure you will find neighborhoods in Anchorage with water views and acre lots. Goldenview Park has the subdivision,newer homes with inlet views but homes are all pretty close together and will be over 500K (the winds are wild up there). Bayshore and Oceanview may have some homes with water views but are much older. There is an area in 99515 called Discovery Bay? that may have water views but I believe it is reallly spendy! Other than that there is a great older neighborhood in mid Anchorage called Turnagain which borders the coastal trail and has a few little parks. Lots of homes are being refurbished in there.
There is a private school on the east side called Pacific Northern Academy which offers small classes and lots of great extra curricular activities.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,799 times
You can find homes with acre lots in Anchorage but they will be quite pricey. To find anything that size without paying an arm and a leg will probably require you to look in the Chugiak area which is 15 miles or so out of Anchorage.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM

51 posts, read 147,932 times
www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Property Detail

I don't know if you can look this up or not but this was in that Discovery Heights. You can look on Alaska MLS and then go to Municipality of Anchorage.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM

That view is amazing!~ Do the houses close to the inlet get tons of fog? What about fences? Can we put them up? I just want my kids to play in the backyard and not run off. I noticed some don't have fences in the subdivisions.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,031,223 times
Yes, you can put up fences (unless it's specifically prohibited by the CC&R's for that subdivision), however many Alaska resisdents view that as odd behavior. It's usually a dead give away that you just moved up from the -48. As for fog, yes those areas can get fog on occasion, as do other parts of the city. But if you are thinking of the perpetually fog shrouded cities down south on the west coast such as San Francisco, no, Anchorage is not like that.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Glad to know it's not foggy like I thought. Yes, I'd be guilty of a fence, but just becuase of small kids and a dog. Guilty as charged.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 PM

20 posts, read 40,987 times
I know I am a little late chiming in on the grocery thing, but I did want to share my blog with you so that you can get an idea of what Grocery shopping in Alaska is like. I wouldn't want you pass out from sticker shock. You will eventually get used to it. I have decided to wage war on high prices and learn everything I can to save money at the grocery store. Here's the link Alaska's Best Grocery Deals. I hope it helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage