Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,448,278 times

Advertisements

[quote=Diablo72;12131726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

In Ohio didn't somebody tell you that they drive all kinds of cars their like FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD, as well as sport cars? Why would you do something so economically reckless like purchase two new vehicles when you didn't really need them?
There is nothing you can tell me about Ohio; I was born and raised there. WTH are you talking about anyway????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,759,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
No snow, but 40 mph winds and little dust devil guys...
I heard about that horrible dust storm accident down your way, grannyroost. What a sad deal.

No fresh snow here in Anchorage today, Metlakatla. But they're still cleaning up the side roads from all the snow. But no worries here. I just jump in my 20 year old tank of a Toyota Landcruiser & make it around fine LOL.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
[quote=Alaskapat528;12135801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo72 View Post

There is nothing you can tell me about Ohio; I was born and raised there. WTH are you talking about anyway????????????????
Apat,that wasn't me that quoted that,that was that Bavarian driver who said that and somehow another got mixed up with my name,you had that problem over in the Ohio forum,you talking to yourself again....

Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,753,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I heard about that horrible dust storm accident down your way, grannyroost. What a sad deal.

No fresh snow here in Anchorage today, Metlakatla. But they're still cleaning up the side roads from all the snow. But no worries here. I just jump in my 20 year old tank of a Toyota Landcruiser & make it around fine LOL.
A TOYOTA LANDCRUISER!!!! are ya married???? dang we owned 3 of them and they are the best darn vehicles EVER made!!! wish I still had one of them now!!! snivel snivel whine, whaaaaaaa: crying:!! Jeep Wrangler doesn't even come close!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Pat...the quote feature's all screwed up. ptsum didn't say that; the idjit did a couple pages back.

Yes I saw that "afterwards" - I would never say that to my good buddy Ptsum. The other day on another State the quotes were messed up also.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 PM

[quote=ptsum;12136376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

Apat,that wasn't me that quoted that,that was that Bavarian driver who said that and somehow another got mixed up with my name,you had that problem over in the Ohio forum,you talking to yourself again....

Hey...I always talk to myself LOL...I told that to you, EB, MK and rb. I apologize to you my friend; I honestly didn't notice the quotes being messed up, all I saw was the troll's name LOL...and I was popping in and out taking breaks from cleaning house. You know I'd not say something like that to you. .

And now...I am going back to talking to myself.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
[quote=Alaskapat528;12137450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

Hey...I always talk to myself LOL...I told that to you, EB, MK and rb. I apologize to you my friend; I honestly didn't notice the quotes being messed up, all I saw was the troll's name LOL...and I was popping in and out taking breaks from cleaning house. You know I'd not say something like that to you. .

And now...I am going back to talking to myself.

lol..lol...no harm done Apat......now you can go back to talking to yourself....

Last edited by ptsum; 12-22-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,759,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
A TOYOTA LANDCRUISER!!!! are ya married???? dang we owned 3 of them and they are the best darn vehicles EVER made!!! wish I still had one of them now!!! snivel snivel whine, whaaaaaaa: crying:!! Jeep Wrangler doesn't even come close!
LOL! We'll sell it to you Spring 2011!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 AM

720 posts, read 807,316 times
Sell luxury cars before coming to AK, because the weather and environment here will ruin their beauty in short order and they will quickly be worth less.

They will never be beautiful here for more than a few minutes right after cleaning. The carpets will be stained from melted snow and mud, the leather will dry out and crack, and the windshield and paint job will be chipped and scratched, all in short order.

Buy the most popular vehicle, besides trucks, in Alaska, the Subaru Forester (or Outback, but I think the Forester is rated more highly) in another state and then either drive it up here or have it shipped up. No competition for our very few dealers up here and higher prices.

Even new autos at dealerships sit outside in freezing to below freezing temps, covered with snow, for weeks and months at a time. You'll get a better price and a better auto Outside.

Plan on owning two sets of tires for each vehicle. Some people think they don't need snow tires, but some people have to be avoided because they slide all over the place at intersections and when making turns, and some people tend to end up piled on the sides of the roads.

Good luck, and welcome to the excitement of driving on our roads and streets with their missing traffic lane lines, narrowed lanes in the winter, shallow and deep ruts and grooves, ice and snow, tourists in the summer and fishing/hurting seasons, overconfident testosterone- drivers behind the wheels of big pickups, and wildlife wandering in front of you! Or, as in the case of the freak accident visited upon a state trooper a year or two ago, a moose falling off the side of mountain and landing on the hood! (<;

Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM

236 posts, read 428,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
There is a Mercedes dealership in Anchorage, so they do sell them there. I believe it's the only dealership in Alaska, so service in other areas could be a problem.

For the most part, any car is drivable in Alaska. In order of preference, I'd go with a AWD, 4WD, FWD and lastly RWD. The thing to remember is while AWD and 4WD give you slightly better control, they are no safer to drive in ice and snow than any other car. They all take the same distance to stop. In fact, they can be more unsafe because the driver may think he has more control than he actually has, thus doing things he shouldn't be doing.

4 wheel drive dosen't mean 4 wheel stop!!
We are bringing both our z71 pickups and our ATV's... I just need to learn how to drive snow mobile looks like fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage