Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 PM

76 posts, read 153,404 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Anchorage in September/August and my husband made the decision to trade in his Mustang for a Dodge 4 W truck, just because we had quite a lot of snow here, for it being Oklahoma, and he came pretty close to being stuck a few times due to the car being so low to the ground... He is used to driving in snow, though, he simply thought it would be safer.
I drive an 05 Neon right now and we haven't made up our minds about my car yet. LOL. It's the only car I have ever driven and I've only had my license for about 2 years, so no real snow driving experience for me :-) I am a little worried, I think we will just get me a baby truck ( that's what I call the Rangers, e.g. ) or a 4 w SUV. But anyways, my question is: Do they offer winter driving classes maybe? I've been thinking that would be a great investment if offered, I rather be safe than sorry....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,122,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sava_baby View Post
We are moving to Do they offer winter driving classes maybe? I've been thinking that would be a great investment if offered, I rather be safe than sorry....
Good question. I don't know the answer. like many we just learned from experience I think. Perhaps google anchorage driving schools and see what you get ?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
Yes there is a place to learn that and all other defensive driving classes.

AA Driver's Ed - Winter Driving Course (http://www.aadriversed.com/Winter%20Driving%20Course.htm - broken link)

Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 PM

76 posts, read 153,404 times
Thank you so much for that link :-) I'll be sure to check them out once I get there, I will have a few weeks to orientate myself there before the snow comes!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
If your moving to Anchorage just slap a set of studded tires on that Neon in the winter. It's front wheel drive and they do keep the streets plowed and cleared unlike in Oklahoma.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:22 PM

107 posts, read 227,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sava_baby View Post
I drive an 05 Neon right now and we haven't made up our minds about my car yet. LOL.

But anyways, my question is: Do they offer winter driving classes maybe? I've been thinking that would be a great investment if offered, I rather be safe than sorry....

As far as your Neon goes.. keep it, it's perfectly fine for the winter here..

Best thing I can say as far as getting used to winter driving is practice.. Just go out and do it.. if you don't want to first go out and do it on the highway.. go into a parking lot and purposely spin out, try to recover.. see what your car does when you hit the gas while your turning tightly.. Test different situations you can think of.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,122,361 times
Last two days the only thing thats not slipping are the tanks at Fort Rich. really slick in Anchorage proper. Any downhill is like a skate rink. Try Cordova below 15th if you want a thrill

Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
And get good tires. I almost made it through the winter with my summer tires on my truck. Then yesterday, at only 20 mph, I found myself going sideways down the Glenn Highway. This morning I got the winter tires put on. I guess the laziness started to catch up with me. I got lucky as I saw quite a few ditch divers yesterday morning on the way into Anchorage.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,757,655 times
I wanted to yell to people spinning & sliding sideways over toward me Thursday afternoon rush hour on Northern Lights "Get new tires!"

As for my Alaska vehicle, it's my 23 year old Toyota Landcruiser with 4X4 & studs.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,884 times
We may be moving to Anchorage around April-May. We have an 05 Nissan Frontier and 07 Nissan Altima. We live in Idaho and they work for us. One thing I read from a previous thread was the need for block heaters. Is that true for Anchorage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage