Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times

Advertisements

I think if the pay were that good for bartenders, there would be more bartenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivcan2 View Post
I've already got my passport paperwork. I told them I was a felon. They didn't act as if it was a big deal? I'm only driving through. That's what the passport "card" is all about now. I don't need the book and it's cheaper.
The passport is a US document, it's only half the equation. You still need to get permission from the other country to grant you access. When you show up at the Canadian border crossing they will run a background check. It's up to the agent at the gate to either grant or deny passage. Do a search on this forum. There are numerous posts similar to yours. People have planned for years, packed up all their belongings and driven north only to be stopped dead in their tracks and turned around at the Canadian border because a 20 year old DUI was showing up on their record.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Actually if the OP could make $800 a week it would be $3200 a month, however even that is stretching it since there'd be no guarantee of the amount of tip money; throw in everyday necessities plus rent, utilities, car insurance, food, etc. Risky.
Well, I'm a bit embarrassed now since it is obvious my math skills can use some refining! I appreciate Blue coming to my aid with the TAXES defense! LOL

Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
I know it seems so contridicting though from what other people I've talked to?..... I called one of the ads I found on the internet and he said different?! I guess he's filling me full of crap??....
Why not have someone up here contact the potential job to see if it's legit? Regarding travel I agree with your decision (and everyone's advice) not to thy this in winter with children. Also you will NOT be able to cross Canada if you have a DUI anytime. It is a good goal to come here. It is a good place to raise children. Communities are close knit and people watch out for their own and others.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Well, I'm a bit embarrassed now since it is obvious my math skills can use some refining! I appreciate Blue coming to my aid with the TAXES defense! LOL
We "all" have something that could use some refining so don't feel embarrassed. I was just pointing out the fact that the OP needs to do some serious re-thinking on this issue. Before or after taxes, IMO, not enough to really get by on. Very risky for someone with children.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 917 times
Default how can I ask something to ppl???

Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,592 times
Quote:
I am coming from Mitchell S. Dakota in a Mitsubishi Galaunt. What do you think the drive will be like AND the weather? I've never been through Canada or Alaska. What am I getting my self into!!
2009 April I did the drive to Denali, Alaska from Florida. took 12 days. All I needed was Passport, American Express Traveler Checks. some of the gas stations in Canada took the checks and gave cash back. Make sure you have newer tires on car and able to change tire right away by yourself. get basic Tom Tom GPS for about $200. built in maps Canada. if you can try drive longer times average 10 hour days. weather snow on mountain pass just have to be lucky at right time. April time is good. I might do it again 2010 April for Skagway, Alaska. Drive through Canada is no big deal because its so much Fun being 400 miles away from gas stations. Always fill up at gas stations and never drive late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage