Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM

284 posts, read 499,562 times

Advertisements

One story cottage - tiny with lots of windows. Of the New England variety though I've never lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
I have several

The craftsman bungalow

Cape Cod

D Square

Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
One story, big open rooms, big windows for natural light, multi car garage, his and her bathrooms, big walk in closets, guest bedrooms on opposite side/end of house, etc.

Worst style to me is small rooms, smalls windows, more then one story, etc.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Worst style to me is small rooms, smalls windows, more then one story, etc.
I agree I absolutely detest small windows and not enough windows. But I prefer multi-level.

Is it stairs that you don't like in multi-levels homes?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
My favorite/dream house.... hmmm! I love our beautiful New Orleans Victorian homes, but I would never live in one, since these beautiful older homes require more maintenance than I am willing to provide. So here's my concept of an ideal home for me:

Single story brick ranch house in a small town. No stairs or split level at all. Residential neighborhood within walking distance of grocery and businesses. Large lot (1/4 - 1/3 acre?) with no landscaping except grass (or maybe concrete? low maintenance is the key), and a privacy fence in the back yard. Solid, firm ground under the house, and slightly higher than the rest of the neighborhood to avoid flooding. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, attached 2-3 car garage, maybe 2000-2500 square feet.

That's probably all you wanted me to post, but this is the internet and I am daydreaming in a big way and want to go on!

The house could have been built any time from the 1960's (with major updates to the kitchen and bath, and also electricity, plumbing, etc) to present (with a few stained glass windows, alcoves, and built-ins to add the character that is often already present in older homes). Floors should be carpeted except in the kitchen and bathrooms. Ceilings should be flat, not cathedral, no popcorn, and 9' tall. Big rooms in the common spaces, lots of French doors, lots of arches and columns, elaborate crown molding, and baseboard molding throughout. There should be a ceiling fan in every room for comfort.

Master bathroom with two sinks, a window, and huge tile shower (maybe 4'x6'?) without anything to step over to get into it so that it is handicapped/elderly accessible. The other bathroom can have the tub.

Master bedroom should be big enough for a king bed, with two large walk-in closets. Other bedrooms can be smaller and unremarkable as far as I'm concerned.

Laundry room should be at least 8'x10' and as close as possible to the Master bedroom. Since this is a daydream, let's get wild here - - Let's have a big 10' x 12' combination laundry room and walk-in closet for the master bedroom. The idea here is to not have to carry laundry more than a few feet.

Living area should be large (20'x30'?) and should open onto the back yard with French doors.

Kitchen area should be open to the large living area. It should have granite countertops and lots of counter space and electrical outlets. It should have a beautiful sink and faucets right under a window. And finally, the kitchen should have a nice big pantry closet for food storage.

Guess that about covers it!

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 11-22-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Underground...so as to be prepared when someone pushes the button down.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,488 times
NOLA, To bad you didnt put any thought into your answer. I'll take one of each of everyones dream homes. lol I love the old, old, full of character houses. Wrap around porches, window seats, with a ton of built-ins. I want to walk in and know there was a lot of living done in the home. I cant stand new cookie cutter track homes.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Single story cotteges and ranch style homes. Smallish, with defined spaces (no great room) hardwood floors, anything BUT granite and stainless appliances, good light.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:56 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
NOLA, To bad you didnt put any thought into your answer. I'll take one of each of everyones dream homes. lol I love the old, old, full of character houses. Wrap around porches, window seats, with a ton of built-ins. I want to walk in and know there was a lot of living done in the home. I cant stand new cookie cutter track homes.
Yeah, when I start daydreaming about my ideal house I just go wild. . I used to draw floorplans on graph paper, too. I only want to dream about it, though, not build it.

Your dream house sounds pretty, too.... Window seats are great! Lots of storage and a great place to sit and read.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,580 times
If it's at least 80-years-old, I like it! If it's over 100-years-old, Victorian or Craftsman, and two story with a big wide porch, I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum