Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Storybook houses are really neat to look at. They may not be all that practical to live in. Not sure. Anyone live in one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,103 times
For my absolute favorite it's a tie between over the top Victorian Queen Anne or adobe style.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Mid-Century Modern.......or contemporary.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I agree with Coldjensens about the Tudor. Nice to look at and I'm glad they were built but there is something dark and foreboding about them.

Not as wild about true Victorians as most people seem to be either. Very pretty on the outside, but livability - which was not a consideration when Victorian homes were built, is not there. Small rooms with lots of doors, (to preserve heat) narrow hallways, large dining rooms and small living and or family rooms do not translate well into the 20st C.

Many people like both Craftsman and Victorian homes, which rather confounds me since the Craftsman (and it's lovely cousin the American Four Square) were the anti- Victorians. The first homes built for living and not just for show.

They get my vote!

Honorable mention to the mid century modern ranch , with a double sided fire place, lots of glass and gleaming hardwood floors! Makes me want to slip into a black sheath, some spike heels, a strand of pearls and make a shaker of martinis.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
If we're dreaming, then I want a big yellow brick (with stone lintels) mansion like this:

But!!! I want a slate roof, and lots of original details remaining intact.
(My example picture doesn't have a slate roof, and has been divided into apartments, so some original detail has surely been lost/damaged.)
I though the picture would follow but JR-C has a picture of an early Four Square in Youngstown OH. BEAUTIFUL!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 AM

101 posts, read 193,821 times
Balinese-Chinese-Japanese inspired villa and Japanese-inspired garden but more natural-looking.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,103 times
Quote:
Small rooms with lots of doors, (to preserve heat) narrow hallways, large dining rooms and small living and or family rooms do not translate well into the 20st C.
Not necessarily so.
Here's a house built in 1869, not Queen Anne, but Swiss style.
The living room and dining room are 14x18, the parlor is 15x19, the kitchen is 14 x 16 with attached pantry and a laundry. There's even a small library and a large coat closet. Upstairs are 6 bedrooms, plus 2 small bedrooms on the third floor.
There was an option available to add sliding doors between the dining room and the living room. The chimneys would be moved elsewhere.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Craftsman. Or failing that, anything old with lots of character and no ghosts.
And I've always thought it's the "ghosts" that help give a house character.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Queen Anne Victorian because it's exterior is eclectic enough to design a modified plan for most any personal preference of the owner while highlighting character and a traditional sense of home (which is why Christmas cards tend to depict Victorian themes).

We're building something similar to the Taylor Ray House of Gallatin, MO but because of zoning and building codes, set-backs, and other restrictions we've had to compromise between what we wanted and what we could have. But the essence of the Queen Anne style is there.

However, for the interior, we are going more with a Craftsman/Prairie style theme since we prefer the simplicity of these styles without compromising the opportunity for creativity and craftsmanship.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Easier to list what I DON'T like:

-Ranch, raised ranch, split level ranch...no, thank you.
-Industrial loft-styling
-Anything where the emphasis is on "clean lines, "modern" materials, no ornamentation."

Basically, anything described as contemporary, modern, or minimalist is bound to be not my taste. I'm of the "the older and more historic, the better" school.

I also historically have never really liked the Prairie school, which, having grown up in Frank Lloyd Wright territory, is akin to sacrilege. But I've come around somewhat, to some examples.

Growing up, my favorite homes were Victorian era. My dad had a small business doing restoration and period-appropriate carpentry work on homes of this era, and his fascination with the style rubbed off. My grandma lived in a 14-room Victorian mansion that had been in the family since it was built, and it was my favorite house in the world to be in and explore. My dad never liked Arts & Crafts, since it was an anti-Victorian movement, but I've grown to love them, and bought a 1915 bungalow, which I adore. I spend so much time on my wonderful front porch, I love that it's small and cottage-y, and I love the history of it. I can't foresee ever purchasing new construction; it's not my taste at all, and just isn't interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum