Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM

307 posts, read 684,803 times

Advertisements

I like a log home, or an adobe style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed831 View Post
My dream home would be a modern craftsman-style one. Large, open floorplan with modern appliances but with the charm, detail and character of the original style.

Close second to that would be a modern pueblo-style home (think Santa Fe style). I love the beams, saltillo tile floors, and kiva fireplaces that make these homes so warm and inviting and cozy. Kinda like this one.
I love that house! Santa Fe style is amazing. This one has a bit more ornamentation which is better IMO, if I am going with a pueblo home I want to go all out. 6405 Calle Candela NW, Los Ranchos, NM 87107 - Zillow

Craftsmans are also amazing, but I need the walls opened up a bit (not completely though!). I prefer them to be bungalows. California bungalows and swiss chalet bungalows are great as well. These are probably my favorite of all the styles.

Log cabins, especially if they have modern details and finishes. I do still love the traditional ones however. I also adore A-frames, but those definitely must be more modern. I find the older style ones to be way too dark and confining. The Swiss Miss homes in Palm Springs are a great modern take on an A-frame.

A few that I like but are not my favorite: Dutch Colonial (the only good looking Colonial, IMO), Saltbox, Foursquare (some I find plain and ugly but others are nice), Midcentury Modern, Shingle Style, and Tidewaters.

Ones that I generally dislike: Colonials, Cape Cod, Art Deco, Queen Anne, Neoeclectic (I think this is what most McMansions usually are, ew), Raised Ranch, Split Level, Victorian, Mansard, Stick Style, and Gothic Revival. I like good craftsmanship and detailing on homes but dislike overly adorned facades or, alternatively, very plain facades.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM

165 posts, read 306,926 times
If you think about it, a house is just a big coffin that gets you accustomed to the small one you'll end up stuck in. That said, I guess I like LeCorbusier's work quite a lot. He built a home in Prague that is really cool and was just refurbished and opened as a museum.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Beaver View Post
If you think about it, a house is just a big coffin that gets you accustomed to the small one you'll end up stuck in. That said, I guess I like LeCorbusier's work quite a lot. He built a home in Prague that is really cool and was just refurbished and opened as a museum.
I've thought about it and have yet to see a way in which a house is just a big coffin that gets you accustomed to the small one you'll end up stuck in.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,240 times
A rather notable local architect who was an avowed modernist was approached by a couple who wanted to build a new home. They requested a "Southern Plantation" style.

His response?

"Why? Do you own slaves?"

His point is well taken in my opinion. I do not want to live in a Victorian house for the same reasons I don't wear a hoop skirt, girdle and petticoat.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
A rather notable local architect who was an avowed modernist was approached by a couple who wanted to build a new home. They requested a "Southern Plantation" style.

His response?

His point is well taken in my opinion. I do not want to live in a Victorian house for the same reasons I don't wear a hoop skirt, girdle and petticoat.
I suppose you dress like this astron?
Elektronik Supersonik - Zlad - - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post

His response?

I think his point was that it's silly to build a new house in an antiquated style, not about living in an old house.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think his point was that it's silly to build a new house in an antiquated style, not about living in an old house.
Exactly. Old houses can be very nice and I have no problems with that. But if someone builds a new house and tries to make it look like it was built 100 years ago, well, that is just dumb.

@HiFi - LOL!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,761 times
^^ Maybe the clients has a little something called taste, and timelessness. A Victorian house or a plantation house tends to be considered "timeless", as it puts to use the use of things like the golden ratio and (contrary to what modernist whack-jobs say) ornament. Most modernist structures usually tend to stay popular for a few short years after they are built (as people will think they look off-beat and cool), but over time people see them for what they really are ugly. Look at most modern structures from eras like the 60s and 70s. People find them hideous now. The stuff is devoid of the soul and disregards the fact that form itself is a function. I am glad now that urban planning and architecture is turning in the right direction with new urban-ism, and am glad that architects are getting past the point of deciding that something should not be built because structures containing many similarities were built before it.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,984 times
I like something like this.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NThPukz6vz...e+design+1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum