Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
This is my 1995 suburban tract house - the only one like it within several square blocks. Its 2,400 sq.ft. are sitting on a 6,600 sq.ft. level lot. The homes are separated by about 20' of side yard, which is ok by me. I didn't want a huge yard to maintain, but enough elbow space for the grandkids to play.

The house is semi-customized, is "user friendy" and convenient for us.

We love it.

A big change over the generations is the fact that "modern" family life has shifted from sitting on the front porch to the back yard. Probably because the population has increased so much that people tend to desire more privacy.

We do enjoy our covered patio for about 7-8 months out of the year.
I dont think the garage of your house overpowers the house too much. Its not ideal but i have seen worse. What I do Hate is how close your neighbors house is. you can reach out the window and shake each others hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
TA big change over the generations is the fact that "modern" family life has shifted from sitting on the front porch to the back yard. Probably because the population has increased so much that people tend to desire more privacy.
I think this depends on the type of house and location. I think most houses in the suburbs follow this rule.

We live in a historic town in an older house (1930s Arts & Crafts) and everyone has a front porch. It offers something different regarding the community aspect as people greet each other when walking by and tend to socialize with neighbors alot on porches. But we also have a backyard (i.e., patio, fenced in, etc.). Or maybe the front porch is a southern-thing. Not sure.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I dont think the garage of your house overpowers the house too much. Its not ideal but i have seen worse. What I do Hate is how close your neighbors house is. you can reach out the window and shake each others hands.
If our arms were 12' long each that would be possible, but we downsized to 1/6 acre from a half acre purposely so there is less maintenance. We had actually considered a "garden home" (zero lot line), but that was way too close.

We also had a choice of building this house on a corner lot with the side entry garage. However that would have almost doubled the amount of trimming.

There's no noise from any of our neighbors except a few kids playing in the back yards here & there once in a while.

My brother built his retirement house on a 1.2 acre lot, and it's a big PITA form him to keep it looking good.....not to mention major watering bills ($500/month in the summer).

Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
In my opinion, urban row houses built without the use of cars in mind as a whole are the most beautiful.
I'm sure its a very beautiful atmosphere, at least until you start hearing romeo next door knocking the bed against the wall at 2 in the morning and shaking your whole house. I know I will never live in that kind of environment ever again, i guess I have been spoiled by the years of undisturbed slumber.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
What I do Hate is how close your neighbors house is. you can reach out the window and shake each others hands.
That comes in awfully handy, though, if you're in trouble and need help; you can just hang your head out the window and yell. Someone will hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I'm sure its a very beautiful atmosphere, at least until you start hearing romeo next door knocking the bed against the wall at 2 in the morning
Or until your neighbor gets a boxer puppy.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
In my opinion, urban row houses built without the use of cars in mind as a whole are the most beautiful.
I actually love the look of those row houses. If I lived in an urban area, I wouldn't mind living in one IF AND ONLY IF the soundproofing were 100% -- i.e., if I could NEVER hear ANYTHING from my neighbors' houses even if they were absolutely blasting their music. If I could ever hear anything at all, it would drive me nuts.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I don't mind garages being visible as long as they're part of the view. What I don't like are the "snout house" designs where the garage is ALL you see. Those were a trendy design last decade and I cringed, but the trend did not last, thank God.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I actually love the look of those row houses. If I lived in an urban area, I wouldn't mind living in one IF AND ONLY IF the soundproofing were 100% -- i.e., if I could NEVER hear ANYTHING from my neighbors' houses even if they were absolutely blasting their music. If I could ever hear anything at all, it would drive me nuts.
I live in a 19th century brick rowhouse. The walls between me and my neighbors are solid, uninsulated brick which is around a foot thick. I can occasionally hear people if they are having an argument, but it was nothing like living in an apartment, and I never wake up due to my neighbors or anything.

I'm sure if I cared enough to soundproof the party walls, I could get it quieter. But my house is only 11.5 feet wide in internal dimensions, so I'm not shrinking it any further.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,268 times
I assume you’re referring to city lots. In that case, the location of garage is mostly restricted by the location, size and shape of the lot. Not every lot is suitable for a hidden garage. It is done strictly out of functionality and necessity. It has extremely little to do with personal taste.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
For an Englishman to see Tudor, Victorian and Queen Anne in the same sentence as garage is a bit strange.

Carriage houses? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum