Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
Really?

Garages can:
  • Prevent break-ins
  • Keep car clean
  • Prevent sun-fading paint
  • Keep car cool in summer
  • Keep car warm in winter
  • Keep you dry getting in and out of your car
  • Provide a space for maintaining your vehicle
  • Keep the cars out of the way so kids can play in the driveway
1-they can get your car in another place
2-big deal, a clean car isnt the most important thing in the world
3-never had a car fade from the sun, never had a garage
4-car has a/c
5-car has heat
6-umbrellas come in handy
7-maintain car?, I can windex the windows anywhere. My mechanic maintains my car if the need should arise
8-kids can play in the back yard or park

I dont think any of those reasons are really a must have for a garage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:19 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
1-they can get your car in another place
2-big deal, a clean car isnt the most important thing in the world
3-never had a car fade from the sun, never had a garage
4-car has a/c
5-car has heat
6-umbrellas come in handy
7-maintain car?, I can windex the windows anywhere. My mechanic maintains my car if the need should arise
8-kids can play in the back yard or park

I dont think any of those reasons are really a must have for a garage
Those reasons aren't valuable to you so no one should have a garage??

Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
Really?

Garages can:
  • Prevent break-ins
  • Keep car clean
  • Prevent sun-fading paint
  • Keep car cool in summer
  • Keep car warm in winter
  • Keep you dry getting in and out of your car
  • Provide a space for maintaining your vehicle
  • Keep the cars out of the way so kids can play in the driveway
and save on insurance, Id love a garage but dont have enough space at the side of my house..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:31 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
There is no reason for a garage except for snow. Cars can sit out fine without rusting away in 3 years.
Depends on where you live. Cars rust over a winter here in mid Michigan. And also near chemical plants the paint tends to peel off before too long if it sits in the chemically enhanced rain.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:44 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Cars rust over a winter here in mid Michigan.
Hardly! "Winter" doesn't make cars rust. Salt/melting chemicals used on the roadways certainly will.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Hardly! "Winter" doesn't make cars rust. Salt/melting chemicals used on the roadways certainly will.
I guess you would have to be of the opinion that after driving on salt/ chemicals on a snowy day, your car is better off in a garage, because all of the chemicals/ salt fall from your car with the melted snow, while they would stick, if left outside.

I don't know if this has any validity and I know my tires bring in a lot of junk in the winter, but my garage floors have a decent amount of salt, sand, gravel... at the end of winter, after parking my cars indoors (and where I live, the snow/ ice melts in the garage, it's not that cold).

Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
He didn't say 'cause' he said 'over.' And when do they put down salt and melting chemicals? Winter! So cars rust over winter!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:59 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
While I prefer the look of a detached garage set far back on the lot.............here in New England..........nothing beats an attached garage.

I have to first shovel my way to the garage.........then get the driveway taken care of. After our past couple of winters.......I'm so over a detached garage.

Building cost-wise........garage under.....front loading.....is the least expensive.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:01 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
I'm sure he meant "no class or taste" in the design concept..Many factors go into a home design. It's really a matter of fad.. Wasn't that long ago that a front entrance was a selling point...Also attached garages have to contend with how the house's front is faced,,slope of the land always has it's say.
I might imagine that in twenty years a front garage might be all the fad again..
Actually, relatively few factors go into Modern spec home design and that's what we're talking about with most homes built after WWII...in the U.S....and when one speaks of "fad" and "selling point". This thread started out distinguishing between what could be called good design vs. designs that are quickly built for quick, profitable sale. Attached garages sell a house faster because people want the function even if the form is ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum