Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times

Advertisements

Wow. With such an epidemic of American tourists getting decimated in Rocky Point, there must be tons of media reports about them. Anybody got reference to one?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Wow. With such an epidemic of American tourists getting decimated in Rocky Point, there must be tons of media reports about them. Anybody got reference to one?
So how many are acceptable? 1,2,3 or?????
I think the whole point of this is the odds of someone getting hurt/killed have gone way up as of late.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So how many are acceptable? 1,2,3 or?????
I think the whole point of this is the odds of someone getting hurt/killed have gone way up as of late.
Do you have any evidence of this?

Tourism has severly declined over the past few years, but the people of RP are as friendly as ever, and always willing to accept our money. I bought over $300 worth of items from one lady the last time I was there, that was probably enough for her to feed her family for a week.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:24 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
I dont live down there but I cant imagine why anyone would want to spend money in Mexico after the way their president put the blame for his country's troubles on our shoulders.
It is NOT a country friendly with the US beyond what it can take from us. Might be just me but I'll be damned if I'd spend a penny in that cesspool of a country.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
There have been a few cases of tourist related violence, but they are very rare, and it's typically due to someone not using common sense while traveling.
Makes sense to me. There's always the possibility of just being at the wrong place at the wrong time, without any mistakes on one's part, but common sense is a really fine thing to use regularly to stay safe from harm ANYWHERE.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Do you have any evidence of this?

Tourism has severly declined over the past few years, but the people of RP are as friendly as ever, and always willing to accept our money. I bought over $300 worth of items from one lady the last time I was there, that was probably enough for her to feed her family for a week.
Absolutely! Imperical evidence to wit, if the police are being shot at with the full idea of assasination or even to intimidate (especially with automatic weapons) then obviously the odds of collateral damage rise unless you've found a way to deflect the stray bullets? Add to that the fact that many in Mexico are none too pleased with AZ at the moment and while it probably doesn't rise to the level where they want to shoot us I'm betting it does cause some "friction".

Just to be clear, there's places in the states I wouldn't walk into for somewhat the same reason but at least in the states I can carry giving me at least a fighting chance...

Old 06-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I dont live down there but I cant imagine why anyone would want to spend money in Mexico after the way their president put the blame for his country's troubles on our shoulders.
It is NOT a country friendly with the US beyond what it can take from us. Might be just me but I'll be damned if I'd spend a penny in that cesspool of a country.
You can't judge a country by it's president, look at us for example and the last president we had, we sure made a ton of friends.

Maybe you've never been down there, but they are much more friendlier than most poeple in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Absolutely! Imperical evidence to wit, if the police are being shot at with the full idea of assasination or even to intimidate (especially with automatic weapons) then obviously the odds of collateral damage rise unless you've found a way to deflect the stray bullets? Add to that the fact that many in Mexico are none too pleased with AZ at the moment and while it probably doesn't rise to the level where they want to shoot us I'm betting it does cause some "friction".

Just to be clear, there's places in the states I wouldn't walk into for somewhat the same reason but at least in the states I can carry giving me at least a fighting chance...
Police and others are shot here all the time, what's the difference? I have never witnessed any violence in Rocky Point and with as rare as these attacks are, it's not something to worry about.

SB1070 has not made a difference, the only people who oppose it are supporters of illegals anyways. You shouldn't let your irrational fear stop you from visiting such a great place. The water is cleaner and warmer than California, and the beaches are mostly empty on a daily basis, and the food and prices are great, you can't beat it.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 PM

54 posts, read 99,456 times
I've never been to rocky point but i've been to tijuana..... and have the scar to prove it. ok i was in the wrong part of town at night... my friend wanted to find a mexican wife.... eventually he did... anyway, someone tried to rob me and i got stabbed in the gut and spent a week in a hospital in san diego with three holes in my intestine. that wasn't my first trip to tj and i have been to ensanada since but i would recomend that anyone be careful. stay in the tourist areas and only in the daytime, especially in the border cities. i agree that many like us, and love our money, but like some that come to the u.s., some would rather get our money the easy way - violence. i think the mexican president is right. if we didn't want their drugs, they wouldn't have so much violence. yet after saying all that i hope to go to rocky point one day and perhaps find a little beach getaway to buy.... but i'll learn more spanish, get more tan, and be very careful

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 AM

You can't compare a border town like Tijuana to Rocky Point. Travel around East LA in the middle of the night and you're most likely going to find the same trouble.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM

54 posts, read 99,456 times
Quote:
You can't compare a border town like Tijuana to Rocky Point. Travel around East LA in the middle of the night and you're most likely going to find the same trouble.
i can compare apples and nuclear warfare if i want to. i didn't say rocky point and tj are the same, just that i suspect that some elements (people that want things the easy way) may be in both places, so be careful. granted there likely is more violence in tj, the recent news about the killing of the r.p. police chief tells me there is more violence there than some people here are aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona