Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
It's amazing because some will post links based on headlines only and have no idea about any other content or if it's even true. Some post blog links and opinion pieces as "news". It is irritating.

The area is patrolled 24X7. I do believe more activity occurs at night usually though.
Yes, I know. Most of my experience with bloggers, and people who post things in forums without making sure of facts, is that most of them are trouble makers trying to make points for 'their side' of any debate. And the more sensationalistic the 'headline' the better, to their way of thinking. For instance, this very same topic/video was posted on another forum at another website I go to. I took exception to the "Obama gives part of AZ to Mexico" and proceeded to show the guy that he was lying and it had NOTHING at all to do with Obama. Once I posted the link to the Fish & Game website, explaining the whole thing...and THEY weren't happy with the way it was presented either!...it just went from there. RESEARCH is soooo easy with the computer.

The Fish & Game closed that part of the park in part because of the illegals tramping through it, and therefore causing a 'dangerous' situation for visitors, but also because of the wildlife in the area. It IS a park and wildlife is under protection so I imagine the illegals have done their part to disrupt their habitat as well. It wasn't ALL because of the 'danger' but, yeah, that was part of it. And I'm pretty sure any illegals using that corridor would more than likely go through at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
I think it's a matter of resources. How much time and money would need to be spent to ensure the safety of visitors? What is the cost, direct and otherwise of spending those resources in such a manner? When I was there USBP was too.

I'm not saying that it's good news we've closed an area for four years and will continue until who knows when. I'm just wondering what amount of effort would be required to keep it safe. Is it worth it at all costs? Should it be opened at our own risk with warning signs? What if someone is attacked or killed wither smugglers by hunters or innocent nature lovers?

I'm not viewing it as cowering to thugs and criminals, but as a pragmatic approach to a much bigger, much more serious problem. I don't have all the information, however, it seems like they had to make a hard choice.
I agree as long as this "off limits" due to safety closure remains the one and only area involved.

However, as with other aspects of the Illegal situation, these scenarios seem to escalate and multiply if not addressed immediately. Yes, costly to defend a small isolated area now but far less expensive than a larger area next week or next month.

Another Give Them An Inch and They'll Take A Mile scenario.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
The logic is pretty good on that.
No, the logic is absolutely terrible. Finding an isolated incident (and yes it's a rare incident hence media coverage) to prove a pervasive problem is horrible reasoning.

As I said, I assume you would take a lottery winner as proof it's easy to win.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
The water down in RP is amazing right now, even with the warnings I want to go drive down there right now!

Here's a picture from 6/10, the water is so nice and clear:

Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
If you read the OP's posts, you will notice his or her posts concern a lot of controversial or gossip threads in multiple forums. He or she has no experience with Arizona let alone Southern Arizona. I've already given this thread too much credit by responding.

Nothing to see here folks, move on

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM

175 posts, read 372,229 times
I was visiting Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument near the Mexico border last winter, and parked just off the main highway (route 85). I was standing about 50 yards away with my camera, when a Border Patrol vehicle pulled in behind my car and stopped. I walked back to my car. The officers recommended I keep the car locked with the windows up, even while I had been so close to the vehicle. I continued my visit without incident.

On August 9, 2002, Ranger Kris Eggle was shot and killed by a suspected Mexican drug smuggler during a US Border Patrol operation at Organ Pipe. The visitor center has been named in his honor.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Here is part of what I was talking about. I'm surprised that Arizonans aren't concerned that three counties of your state are no longer sovereign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Here is part of what I was talking about. I'm surprised that Arizonans aren't concerned that three counties of your state are no longer sovereign.
Apperently, those signs have been up for 3 years.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
In the first place, this isn't true. In the second place, those signs were posted three years or so ago by the Fish, Game & Wildlife Dept.. There is ONE small area that's closed off and it's partly because of illegals and partly because it's a wildlife preserve. People really need to do more research about these things. Jan Brewer picked that spot to make a point.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 PM

247 posts, read 576,067 times
we are concidering moving to arizona, Florence area.. Any advice or opinions??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona