Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM

13 posts, read 23,963 times

Advertisements

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,701,210 times
Personally I would not want a large town in retirement like Phoenix and it's as hot according to the averages as Yuma in the Summer so you don't gain much heat wise.
I have lived in Sierra Vista a few times. '66-7 with my first Army assignment and then for around 6 years until 3 years ago when we decided we wanted a cooler climate with 4 seasons and moved.
Sierra vista does have illegals coming through. They are not that much of a problem and I suspect you have nearly as many coming through your area according to what I have read.
There are many military retirees in the Sierra Vista area.
You will find that Sierra Vista runs about 10° or more cooler on any given day than Tuscon does. Here are the WX averages. Monthly Averages for Sierra Vista, AZ - weather.com And, in looking at the chart, you can see you are going to have a lot more rain than Yuma even dreams about. For that reason the area tends to be pretty green too.
If you locate in the county you will find that property taxes are a little lower too.
You may also want to take a look at Tombstone, St. David or Benson as alternatives as none are that far from the Fort or even Tucson where the AFB is.
I think you would like Cochise County much more that the Yuma area myself.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM

19 posts, read 63,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg70 View Post
is there a city close to luke afb that is higher elevation that phoenix?
Check out Verrado Homes For Sale in Buckeye, Arizona | West Phoenix Real Estate Verrado in Buckeye. Very nice homes in all price ranges. Higher elevation. Cooler than Yuma, nice winters. Close to Luke AFB.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,701,210 times
Really? Buckeye's average elevation is 1105' while Phoenix is 1117' according to what I just looked at.
And the temperatures in buckeye average just as hot as Phoenix.
Neither do any good according to the OP's original post for them.
They are looking to get away from the heat and a little higher elevation which of course translates to cooler temps here in AZ.

Last edited by keninaz; 05-11-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 23,963 times
thanks for the recommendations. Ill check out the county

Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,846 times
Take a look at Sierra Vista to.

Its MUCH cooler and more rain than Phoenix or Yuma

Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
so hubbie after 5 years here (retired military) is sick of the heat. we want to stay somewhere in AZ though but less heat and not so cold winters. phoenix is a nono cuz of the high crime. Im putting kid in private school so school wont be a big issue. we really want to be close to a military base.
we are just 5 miles away from marine corp base and love that! but the heat is what is killing hubbie.
thought of going to FL near tampa but i think AZ is just way nicer (less rudeness and more laid back)

any advice be great thanks
Sierra Vista (Ft Huachuca) at 4600 ft it's cooler than Tucson.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:05 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Yet another vote for Sierra Vista (kind of a "no brainer" actually considering what you are looking for). Aside from the far more expensive areas of SoCal you've already decided against, I think it has the BEST climate in the Continental US. It's IS cooler than Yuma in the winter - but still generally pretty pleasant - and it's MUCH more comfortable in the summer - PLUS it has GREAT views, LOW crime, the military presence as your require, AND is big enough to have all the main stores most folks use but without the hassles of a big city.

Everything from crime rates, to house prices, to voting patterns to average household income, to climate info can be found here:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Sierra-Vista-Arizona.html

Some VERY nice photos of Cochise County (including around Sierra Vista & Fort Huachuca) can be seen here (use the scroll bar at the top of the web page):
http://localism.com/az/counties/cochise_county
As you can see, it's a VERY scenic part of the state (and quite LUSH compared to Yuma).

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-15-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,486 times
Quote:
so hubbie after 5 years here (retired military) is sick of the heat. we want to stay somewhere in AZ though but less heat and not so cold winters. phoenix is a nono cuz of the high crime. Im putting kid in private school so school wont be a big issue. we really want to be close to a military base.
we are just 5 miles away from marine corp base and love that! but the heat is what is killing hubbie.
thought of going to FL near tampa but i think AZ is just way nicer (less rudeness and more laid back)

any advice be great thanks
I pass through Cochise County every month. I would not rec moving there unless you really are set up for the wild west.

Although Sheriff Larry Dever is a real American hero, in my book.

I understand the need to be near a mil base, probably for base medical and dental....

imo, Flagstaff would be your best bet; if Cochise County is a "go" then can you live in New Mexico and drive to Ft. Huachuca? Silver City is cooler in the summertime.

If you don't mind driving, then Prescott Valley would be way more temperate than Yuma - I have driven through Yuma in the summertime more times than I can count, and I completely understand your husband not liking the heat. Usually summer temps when I drive through are in the 108-116 degree range.

Nice Starbucks there though.

Best!

~Cali-girl

Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
I pass through Cochise County every month. I would not rec moving there unless you really are set up for the wild west.

Although Sheriff Larry Dever is a real American hero, in my book.

I understand the need to be near a mil base, probably for base medical and dental....

imo, Flagstaff would be your best bet; if Cochise County is a "go" then can you live in New Mexico and drive to Ft. Huachuca? Silver City is cooler in the summertime.

If you don't mind driving, then Prescott Valley would be way more temperate than Yuma - I have driven through Yuma in the summertime more times than I can count, and I completely understand your husband not liking the heat. Usually summer temps when I drive through are in the 108-116 degree range.

Nice Starbucks there though.

Best!

~Cali-girl
It's 180 miles to Silver City from Sierra Vista, hardly ever over 90 here in SV. I turned off the heat over a month ago and it's nowhere near cool enough for A/C. I usually go 6 months of the year with neither. Nice starbuck on Fort Huachuca too, but there are better coffee shops like the ones in san francisco, in Bisbee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona