Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,699,561 times

Advertisements

Hardly ever gets above 90°?
The average in June and July is 93° Average Weather for Sierra Vista, AZ - Temperature and Precipitationand I lived in SV in '67-8 and I think it was hotter then that is is now but I also lived just down HWY 92 at the base of the mountains where I was higher than downtown by some 700' and saw mid 90s to 100° many times each summer for a number of years until 2008 when I moved.
Granted it does not last long but it does get over 90° frequently.
It's still a lot cooler, greener and has more rainfall than the Yuma area by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:01 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Personally I would not want a large town in retirement like Phoenix and it's as hot according to the averages as Yuma in the Summer so you don't gain much heat wise....
You may also want to take a look at Tombstone, St. David or Benson as alternatives as none are that far from the Fort or even Tucson where the AFB is.
I think you would like Cochise County much more that the Yuma area myself.
Yes! Benson, forgot about that...each and every time I go through Benson, the temp climbs up about 10 degrees just past the incline going out of town on the 10 fwy going West.

So it is definitely cooler in Benson than Tucson. Definitely cooler than Yuma.

Benson is in a valle of sorts, lots of green trees. No Starbucks but all is forgiven because the gas stations there have clean restrooms.

With Benson, you'd be not far from Davis Monthan AFB.

~Cali-girl

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Hardly ever gets above 90°?
The average in June and July is 93° Average Weather for Sierra Vista, AZ - Temperature and Precipitationand I lived in SV in '67-8 and I think it was hotter then that is is now but I also lived just down HWY 92 at the base of the mountains where I was higher than downtown by some 700' and saw mid 90s to 100° many times each summer for a number of years until 2008 when I moved.
Granted it does not last long but it does get over 90° frequently.
It's still a lot cooler, greener and has more rainfall than the Yuma area by far.

Well Excuuuuuuuse me, Here I'll correct it........hardly gets hotter than 93

At any rate I go six months of the year with no A/C or heat. Compare that to Yuma, Phoenix or Tucson. at 5000 ft you usually have a pretty good breeze

Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
Yes! Benson, forgot about that...each and every time I go through Benson, the temp climbs up about 10 degrees just past the incline going out of town on the 10 fwy going West.

So it is definitely cooler in Benson than Tucson. Definitely cooler than Yuma.

Benson is in a valle of sorts, lots of green trees. No Starbucks but all is forgiven because the gas stations there have clean restrooms.

With Benson, you'd be not far from Davis Monthan AFB.

~Cali-girl
Benson is closer to Ft Huachuca than Davis Monthan and that is 30 miles. Not really good for grocery shopping or Health Care

Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
"It's (Sierra Vista) still a lot cooler, greener and has more rainfall than the Yuma area by far."

Ken, ya got 2 outta 3 correct. Yuma is far greener than Sierra Vista, not counting the Huachuca's, the creosote bush or the San Rafael Valley. Granted, Yuma's green is man made, but green is green. With over 100K acres in agricultural production, growing everything from alfalfa to watermelons, supplying 90% of the nation's winter lettuce, it's not hard to "out green" Sierra Vista.
However, IMO, Sierra Vista is prettier, generally cooler, more humid during the monsoons. I have summered in Sierra Vista, down on the San Pedro and normally winter in Yuma, harvesting citrus and pecans all winter, surrounded by thousands of acres of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, wheat, alfalfa and cotton...right now I'm missing out on the melon crop....but the mango's are more plentiful here in PR...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"It's (Sierra Vista) still a lot cooler, greener and has more rainfall than the Yuma area by far."

Ken, ya got 2 outta 3 correct. Yuma is far greener than Sierra Vista, not counting the Huachuca's, the creosote bush or the San Rafael Valley. Granted, Yuma's green is man made, but green is green. With over 100K acres in agricultural production, growing everything from alfalfa to watermelons, supplying 90% of the nation's winter lettuce, it's not hard to "out green" Sierra Vista.
However, IMO, Sierra Vista is prettier, generally cooler, more humid during the monsoons. I have summered in Sierra Vista, down on the San Pedro and normally winter in Yuma, harvesting citrus and pecans all winter, surrounded by thousands of acres of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, wheat, alfalfa and cotton...right now I'm missing out on the melon crop....but the mango's are more plentiful here in PR...

Regards
Gemstone1
Yeah, I didn't consider the irrigated fields (from the river) in Yuma. I was referring to the natural scenery. Still, you ARE right.

Ken

Old 05-18-2011, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
You might consider Kingman,I live there.The temp's here average 10 to 15 degrees lower than Yuma,Phoenix and Tucson.A little breezy,(windy),but no area is perfect.The closest military base is Nellis AFB, in Las Vegas,a 2 hr. drive.Also,a VA hospital in Prescott is 150 mi., and we have a VA med clinic here in Kingman.I've lived in many locales in the US,( Florida,Colorado,Texas,New York,Oklahoma),and find the weather year around to be best to my liking.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
I pass through Cochise County every month. I would not rec moving there unless you really are set up for the wild west.

Although Sheriff Larry Dever is a real American hero, in my book.

I understand the need to be near a mil base, probably for base medical and dental....

imo, Flagstaff would be your best bet; if Cochise County is a "go" then can you live in New Mexico and drive to Ft. Huachuca? Silver City is cooler in the summertime.

If you don't mind driving, then Prescott Valley would be way more temperate than Yuma - I have driven through Yuma in the summertime more times than I can count, and I completely understand your husband not liking the heat. Usually summer temps when I drive through are in the 108-116 degree range.

Nice Starbucks there though.

Best!

~Cali-girl
Flagstaff gets seriously COLD. The summers are nice tho.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Flagstaff gets seriously COLD. The summers are nice tho.
It's 33 degrees in Flagstaff with 4 inches of Snow RIGHT NOW

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,076 times
I have lived in Phoenix since the mid 80s. What high crime?
LOL would not have to move to Maryvale or live on Garfield St east of Sky Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona