Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:36 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Advertisements

Winter nights will often go down to freezing, with daytime temps generally in the 40's or 50's range, with some outlying variance. Snow is maybe a dusting once or twice a year, and every other year you may get a dump of say 3". It does get windy a few days a week which can make even 50 degree temps seem pretty chilly. But a medium weight windbreaker pretty much takes care of that. All in all, it's quite bearable compared to most areas of the country and absolutely glorious the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM

81 posts, read 271,964 times
mcol, just to clarify, the new high school wasn't a new building. It was actually the old school which was in great dis-repair that was gutted and redone. From what I hear, lots of it was re-claimed too, like the sod from the football field went to the other high school on Bank Street - but I'm not sure about that just what i was told.

As for the property taxes, we are re-assessed every year. Property owners have the opportunity to appeal their evaluation when the notices come out in Feb - March, thats why the assessments are dated. New owners (someone who purchases this year) would have until Dec 15th to appeal valuations for their current year's taxes (since they didn't own it when the appeal season was going on).

When searching properties and looking at their property taxes, you could easily be misled since you don't know if the owners have appealed the taxes or if the information on the property is correct. The County Assessor admits that approximately 50% of valuations are incorrect since they use a mass appraisal system. Thats why, if an owner isn't diligent about appealling their property taxes, they are probably pretty high.

And, although properties are re-assessed every year, they don't actually get out and look at each property (what an arduous task that would be!) they merely drive by and make sure that there is still a building there. Some properties they do audit, but just a sampling of the nieghborhoods. Any additions are picked up by permits issued by the city or county, and the property would be checked to see what was done.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM

246 posts, read 629,432 times
Thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM

19 posts, read 32,639 times
Sorry MCOL I guess I forgot to answer you on this one. I can't say for sure about where the locals hang out. I don't go to town very often but I read in the paper there's a place downtown in old section of town near or on Beale Street that there is something called Beale Street Brews. Not sure if they have alcoholic beverages but I think they have tea and coffee and they have jazz and I think blues music. That's about the only place I know besides all the cowboy bars in town. lol

Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM

246 posts, read 629,432 times
Thanks again - much appreciated. Anything cool on Beale Street?
Sounds like Tennessee.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM

14 posts, read 21,697 times
Okay, I have read some of the blogs and replies about the BHC/Kingman area, and I too am looking to move to the Mohave County area. Kingman sounds like the better pick. My wife and I are retiring in a few years and we are thinking about buying a house or condo now while the prices are good. We know hot weather, sand, and small community lifestyle. I like to fish (a lot) and the Colorado River is nearby. I now live on a desert island in the Central Pacific Ocean, and would like to be somewhere the land don't run out after three miles, and have a little more living space. Anybody here live in Kingman? Can you tell me something about where you live? Mahalo.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,741 times
Wow great Island, You need to get into Ham Radio.

I live in the far north west corner of the Kingman City Limits, Subdivison is called Camelback.
We like it out here, no sidewalks street lights etc.
Sure shopping for things often requires a trip to Henderson but its good to get out of town once in a while.
Fishing with a boat is the way to go, lots of choices for stripped bass
Outdoor activites is pretty much unlimited on choices.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM

14 posts, read 21,697 times
Thanks Rambrush! I think we had better come and spend a few days around there and have a look around. I can live just about any place as long as the fishing is good! Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 AM

And I live farther north and to the east of rambrush off Stockton Hill Road. This is county and I have 4 acres with a site built home, shed, and horse shed, horse corral and round pen along with 2 arab horses. The weather is very dry here, not at all like the Pacific. So dry you will want to buy stock in body cream for intensely dry skin! I did! lol It's hot in the summer (sometimes goes up to 105) but the norm probably is between 98 and 102. There have been lots of rattlesnakes out this year. You mostly encounter them in the outlying areas and not too often in town but it can happen there too.

On the other hand it gets pretty cold here in the winter as opposed to BHC. It can get down into the 20s at night and into the 40s and 50s during the day. The wind blows a lot but there are some days that are just gorgeous!

I love the fact that we're not too far from Las Vegas (Henderson) and we can get some great shopping in along with any kind of entertainment we could think of along with lots of outdoor stuff to do as well.

The real estate market here is still depressed and probably will be for quite some time. I am signed up for notices on Zillow that informs you of your property values and mine are still going down.
Kingman is definitely a far cry from the southpacific! We spent 3 weeks in Maui to get married last year and didn't want to leave because of the fresh fish every day LOVE IT! But for sure could not afford to live there as many times as we tried to figure out how to do it haha! Mahalo back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsaulibio View Post
Okay, I have read some of the blogs and replies about the BHC/Kingman area, and I too am looking to move to the Mohave County area. Kingman sounds like the better pick. My wife and I are retiring in a few years and we are thinking about buying a house or condo now while the prices are good. We know hot weather, sand, and small community lifestyle. I like to fish (a lot) and the Colorado River is nearby. I now live on a desert island in the Central Pacific Ocean, and would like to be somewhere the land don't run out after three miles, and have a little more living space. Anybody here live in Kingman? Can you tell me something about where you live? Mahalo.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 AM

I just happened to find the Beale Street Brews on Facebook and found their website url. Here it is: http://bealestreetbrews.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcol View Post
Thanks again - much appreciated. Anything cool on Beale Street?
Sounds like Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: