Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times

Advertisements

I love it here, I moved from Florida 6 years ago but have lived all over the US and the weather,shopping, low crime is the best and the location to various vacations get a ways is fanatastic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
ken, if only we could learn to respect each others opinions even if we don't always agree. I guarantee if it isn't religion or politics we'll find something else to debate.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Autism360, I'm surprised to hear that from someone who lived near water! I lived in Fla. as well (Daytona) and do miss the beaches. I have grown accustomed to the Western lifestyle, though, and have no immediate desire to go back East.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
ken, if only we could learn to respect each others opinions even if we don't always agree. I guarantee if it isn't religion or politics we'll find something else to debate.

But in my 65 years I have found both religion and politics discussions set people off faster than about any other.
Either one are about equal to telling someone else how to raise their kids.
And I too miss salt water. I was born/raised just north of SF.
Nearly 20 years since I left the area now for AZ.
You just have to adjust in life.

Last edited by keninaz; 08-22-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM

122 posts, read 307,289 times
What heat? What crazy politics? Personally, I'm pleased as punch to be here.

You may be listening to way too much political radio, and our dry heat is the best heat in America, thanks very much.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
What heat? What crazy politics? Personally, I'm pleased as punch to be here.

You may be listening to way too much political radio, and our dry heat is the best heat in America, thanks very much.
I could not agree more.

Whenever I hear anyone criticize Arizona's Politics, I tell them to look towards the West if they want to experience whacko politics.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
our dry heat is the best heat in America, thanks very much.
To each his own, but any heat (dry or humid) is not very pleasant to deal with ... especially when it's ongiong with very few breaks from June through September. I grow weary of it very fast! But on the positive side, there are some very effective ways to deal with the heat. I use much of my vacation time during July & August and head to the White Mountains, northern Arizona, or even San Diego once in a while. A 30 degree drop in temperature makes a world of difference.

On the other hand, I'm a proud Arizonan for what I consider important reasons other than the climate. Thus, I consider the extreme summer heat a rather small blemish in on the face of the big picture. No sense in dwelling on a few months of misery when there are more essential things to be concerned about.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times
All factors considered Arizona is the hands down winner compared to Florida.
1. better weather(7 months are better than Florida and the summer is more bearable than Florida)
2.closer proximity to weekend vacation areas(california,vegas,mexico and N arizona)
3 less bugs
4 friendlier people( more people with core family values live in Az)
5 better housing available in AZ (newer and cheaper)
6 cheaper food costs due to having over a dozen different food stores in AZ as opposed to 1 major monopoly in Florida (Publix)
7 This is the reason I moved (no natural disasters in Arizona where in Florida you never no when life or property will be ruined by a hurricane or a tornado)

Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
I know some will say this is crazy, but I have had the opportunity to travel and visit many cities here and abroad. While there are locations that I absolutely love, I realize how fortunate I am to be living in the desert. If you really compare Arizona with a lot of other states we have a lot going for us, weather included!

Just to make sure you understand, I am not coming from a "my state is better than yours!" place, but a place of grattitude. Arizona is not for everyone just as NY and LA aren't for everyone.

I didn't think I'd like living in the desert coming from the East. Twelve years later, I can't see myself moving back East. Anyone else experience this?
I moved from NY to Sedona in 1996. Best move I could have made. I love the high desert and dry heat. NY has muggy Summers, gray skies in Winter and too much rain. I couldn't see myself moving back East.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times
Quote:
I know some will say this is crazy, but I have had the opportunity to travel and visit many cities here and abroad. While there are locations that I absolutely love, I realize how fortunate I am to be living in the desert. If you really compare Arizona with a lot of other states we have a lot going for us, weather included!

Just to make sure you understand, I am not coming from a "my state is better than yours!" place, but a place of grattitude. Arizona is not for everyone just as NY and LA aren't for everyone.

I didn't think I'd like living in the desert coming from the East. Twelve years later, I can't see myself moving back East. Anyone else experience this?
A month living in Tucson and I can say that it is easily the worst place I've lived (I've lived in Chicago, Seattle, outside of Detroit, and visited many places for extended times: Atlanta, LA, San Diego). Well, ok, its 2nd worst (I've lived in the sticks/cornfields of western illinois for a year, talk about depressing). Even when I visited here for 2 days to go to a grad school event, I didn't get a good vibe. I should've listened to my gut.

The drivers here are very rude, too many meth addicts, lots of white/brown trash, its not modern, dirt everywhere, nothing to do but go on 4th and interact with transgenders and hipsters. I think this heat (which isn't bad, but is very annoying) is scrambling people's brains. UA has some of the most stuck up people I've ever met (and I am not going to blame this on natives, since there are alot of people from the Midwest and East in grad school at UA).

However, my opinion is only confined to Tucson. I'm pretty sure I would like Scottsdale. Atleast they have grass. I don't plan on sticking around in Arizona long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona