Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best weather ?
Phoenix 6 10.71%
Tucson 4 7.14%
Yuma 4 7.14%
Kingman 2 3.57%
Prescott 18 32.14%
Flagstaff 8 14.29%
Page 1 1.79%
Winslow 0 0%
Show Low 4 7.14%
Douglas 2 3.57%
Safford 1 1.79%
Other (please specify) 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times

Advertisements

"I enjoy Lake Havasu in the winter and early Spring, and Yuma never! .... but the weather is Yuck!" The worst aspect of both LHC and Yuma would be the extreme summer heat.

Assuming you mean that the weather in both places is the same, which it is, what is it that you find about LHC vs Yuma that causes you to appreciate Yuma only for a chain restaurant that caters to travelers ?

For places in AZ that I've been, my year 'round vote would be a toss up between Sedona and Sierra Vista.

Regards
Gemstone1

Regards
Gemstone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I enjoy Lake Havasu in the winter and early Spring, and Yuma never! .... but the weather is Yuck!" The worst aspect of both LHC and Yuma would be the extreme summer heat.

Assuming you mean that the weather in both places is the same, which it is, what is it that you find about LHC vs Yuma that causes you to appreciate Yuma only for a chain restaurant that caters to travelers ?

For places in AZ that I've been, my year 'round vote would be a toss up between Sedona and Sierra Vista.

Regards
Gemstone1

Regards
Gemstone
I think Lake Havasu is very pretty because it has a lake and I like the surrounding mountains. I like it in the winter and early Spring when it is not 120 degrees. I don't find anything pretty about Yuma, any season. Sorry to rag on Yuma but I do love "Cracker Barrel" restaurants which do not exist in California and the only thing I get excited about when I am driving to Arizona and stopping in Yuma is the chance to eat at Cracker Barrel.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
You know AZ quite well for someone residing in SD. Good post !
Thank you, we spent a lot of time there for vacations and have covered much of the state. I love Arizona, the interesting towns such as Jerome and Bisbee, the beautiful Grand Canyon, the beauty of Sedona, Cottonwood, the mountain town of Williams etc. Arizona has so much beauty and variety. We love to escape the crowds and traffic of Southern California and explore Arizona. The only part I am not thrilled with is Yuma and I was surprised to see it on the list but I don't mean to bash Yuma.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Thank you, we spent a lot of time there for vacations and have covered much of the state. I love Arizona, the interesting towns such as Jerome and Bisbee, the beautiful Grand Canyon, the beauty of Sedona, Cottonwood, the mountain town of Williams etc. Arizona has so much beauty and variety. We love to escape the crowds and traffic of Southern California and explore Arizona. The only part I am not thrilled with is Yuma and I was surprised to see it on the list but I don't mean to bash Yuma.
Sounds like you have little use for I 8 along with Yuma and Hell Centro. I'm the same way. I prefer the extra hour to and from SD taking the 15 to 215 route towards Banning and cutting over I 10. No border patrol and far better scenery IMO.

I can see why Kingman is popular with a similar elevation to Verde Valley region. However, it's much windier there to me than Verde Valley.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Sierra Vista - aside from the very populated and pricey parts of SoCal that are so famous for their fabulous weather, SE Az (and Sierra Vista in particular) has the best weather in the continental US in my opinion.

Ken

Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Sounds like you have little use for I 8 along with Yuma and Hell Centro. I'm the same way. I prefer the extra hour to and from SD taking the 15 to 215 route towards Banning and cutting over I 10. No border patrol and far better scenery IMO.

I can see why Kingman is popular with a similar elevation to Verde Valley region. However, it's much windier there to me than Verde Valley.
We only take the "8" when headed to Tucson/Bisbee/Tombstone. Yes the drive through El Centro and Yuma is so long and pretty boring. We travel with our dogs and they go nuts with the Border Patrol. We always take the 15 North to the 40 East for all our trips in Northern AZ.

I really like Kingman all the "Route 66" flavor, the museum etc. One October we made Kingman our base and then went all over Bullhead City, Laughlin etc. for day trips. My husband is into coins so we hit all the coin shops in Arizona. Kingman was lovely, in terms of weather, not hot at all compared to those places. Of course my snobby San Diegan friends were saying "You spent your vacation in Kingman!" We also spent several days in Prescott, but people could not handle the fact anyone would want to stay in Kingman. Prescott reminds me too much of California, (chain stores etc.) had a better time in Kingman.

Spending Labor Day weekend in Tucson one year people really thought we were crazy. But the rates were so good and the weather was not bad. When do I get thunderstorms here...never! I was in the pool and a lady was yelling at me, we have to get out...duh! A totally new experience for me. I live near Mission Bay so yes I do see lots of Arizona plates especially during July and August. You head to San Diego and I head to Arizona.

Back to the weather I agree Cottonwood is the best not being a citizen but a tourist and also I like the elevation in Sierra Vista too. I also have been there and found it quite mild and it had a lot of trees.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,295 times
Sierra Vista....I love Safford but SV weather beats ours hands down.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM

OK who voted for Yuma and why???

Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
"OK who voted for Yuma and why???" Wasn't me, but I do live there in the winter.

OK, summer weather in Yuma can be brutal, but it's no different than LHC or Bullfrog City. All 3 places have the Colorado River to enjoy, if it weren't for the river, all three would dry up and blow away. Not much would be lost if LHC and BHC were to disappear, but Yuma accounts for a huge percentage of what we put on our dinner plate in the winter. LHC has the river at it's doorstep, same with BHC...Yuma does too, however it's a mere trickle compared to what flows thru the other 2 cities. In order to enjoy the river in Yuma, one must get off the Interstate, and travel north about 20 minutes to Senator Wash to launch a boat, whereupon miles and miles of navigable Colorado river is available (I believe all the way to Parker Dam).

Winter weather is another story, it rarely frosts, never snows, rarely rains (much the same as LHC and BHC), the sun shines an average of 350 days a year, and regardless of common misperception, Yuma has cleaner air than does Casa Grande. I'd be willing to bet that those who routinely disparage Yuma, have never ventured further from the Interstate than a fuel station, a Cracker Barrel or worse, Mickey D's.

Let's see, Sierra Vista.... "it had a lot of trees"....if this is a qualifier, so does Yuma....Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Pecan (there is even an old neighborhood downtown, referred to as the Pecan Grove). For the record, Sierra Vista has fewer trees, with the exception of the Huachuca Mtn. range....but that's not exactly Sierra Vista.

I have 3 huge Pecan trees in my yard, 15 orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime trees, 2 huge Chinese Elms, a Desert Willow, Peach trees, roses, grapes...and a 1/2 acre of grass....but this is not a discussion about Yuma having the best weather, it does not...my vote went to Sedona/Sierra Vista...it's about dispelling the myth that there is nothing in Yuma.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"OK who voted for Yuma and why???" Wasn't me, but I do live there in the winter.

OK, summer weather in Yuma can be brutal, but it's no different than LHC or Bullfrog City. All 3 places have the Colorado River to enjoy, if it weren't for the river, all three would dry up and blow away. Not much would be lost if LHC and BHC were to disappear, but Yuma accounts for a huge percentage of what we put on our dinner plate in the winter. LHC has the river at it's doorstep, same with BHC...Yuma does too, however it's a mere trickle compared to what flows thru the other 2 cities. In order to enjoy the river in Yuma, one must get off the Interstate, and travel north about 20 minutes to Senator Wash to launch a boat, whereupon miles and miles of navigable Colorado river is available (I believe all the way to Parker Dam).

Winter weather is another story, it rarely frosts, never snows, rarely rains (much the same as LHC and BHC), the sun shines an average of 350 days a year, and regardless of common misperception, Yuma has cleaner air than does Casa Grande. I'd be willing to bet that those who routinely disparage Yuma, have never ventured further from the Interstate than a fuel station, a Cracker Barrel or worse, Mickey D's.

Let's see, Sierra Vista.... "it had a lot of trees"....if this is a qualifier, so does Yuma....Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Pecan (there is even an old neighborhood downtown, referred to as the Pecan Grove). For the record, Sierra Vista has fewer trees, with the exception of the Huachuca Mtn. range....but that's not exactly Sierra Vista.

I have 3 huge Pecan trees in my yard, 15 orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime trees, 2 huge Chinese Elms, a Desert Willow, Peach trees, roses, grapes...and a 1/2 acre of grass....but this is not a discussion about Yuma having the best weather, it does not...my vote went to Sedona/Sierra Vista...it's about dispelling the myth that there is nothing in Yuma.

Regards
Gemstone1
Makes sense. I know there is a huge "snowbird" population there in the winter. You are right most people from CA only see it from the "8" and we know the summers there are brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona