Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,726,432 times

Advertisements

The Desert of the Damned! | Arizona Sucks

I came across this blog pasted above just to read the laughable posts from people who belong in coddling Blue States. My two biggest AZ complaints are the freeway drivers and lack of active weather. That's been it. For me, being from a Blue State like NY with restrictive and liberal policies meant to coddle the weak, I feel completely in my element here. The posts mainly focus on "lack of jobs", "those 6 foot walls with nameless neighbors",etc.

As a libertarian, I like that I can be free to do as I wish knowing that others don't stick their nose into your caca around here. I transferred here so I fortunately and gratefully have made NY income and far less taken out in state taxes.

The whole "6 foot wall debate." I like my privacy. If you are out and about whether through work or hitting the social scene, people from all over the country are here to find common ground. I do not find it difficult to relate to the walks of life who are largely transplants from So Cal and the Midwest. As a NYer, I am in the minority.

"The job market sucks." If you are college educated and/or offer a unique set of skills as a tradesman, you can do fine here. Admittedly, it's tougher in smaller AZ towns to make it without a very unique skillset (Prescott and Flag come to mind).

Arizona seems to get a bad rap from a lot of the liberal bent media sites both on tv and online. In nearly two years as a full time resident (spent time here for nearly 20 years on work related assignments prior to moving FT), the truth is this. Arizona is meant for individualistic self reliant outdoor lovers. If you are not into nature and prefer artsy fartsy stuff while being in need of others to entertain you, AZ may not be right for you. You have umpteen climatic and geographic zones within the state to take advantage of. Why so many people act like there is nothing to do in AZ is beyond me on some of these blogs and threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 AM

173 posts, read 404,946 times
Self-reliant. Yeah, the old-west mentality lives on.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
Self-reliant. Yeah, the old-west mentality lives on.
Lived in NY all but the past two years as a proud Zonie. Love the vibe here and have some acreage at 6000 feet in Valle to truly have my outdoorsy hobbies all to myself. Some of my coworkers who have lived here 10-20 years are amazed I've combed the state more in the last two years than they have in living here.

Arizona is not for everyone. You truly have to be wired a certain way to love it here. Know too many people who live in The Valley who have NEVER visited the Grand Canyon or ventured to Mexico. These are largely sedentary types who live at Talking Stick and shopping malls. I'd be bored too if that was my extent of life in Arizona. Which again proves my point. Gotta be a desert rat to dig the Arizona life !

Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,738,035 times
That blog is pretty much dead and the comment sections are now filled with all kinds of genetic spam about how good the blog is without mentioning specifics (scroll down in comments).
I'm afraid by posting that address here, you are doing someone a huge favor by getting them hits.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
That blog is pretty much dead and the comment sections are now filled with all kinds of genetic spam about how good the blog is without mentioning specifics (scroll down in comments).
I'm afraid by posting that address here, you are doing someone a huge favor by getting them hits.
That may be true but I am trying to make the point that too many people seem to move here and end up complaining. I don't have a blog dedicated to hating on NY but I grew to hate a lot about NY prior to moving here. We all have our comfort zone and unfortunately, those who are needy and sedentary are going to be miserable here. Those who are independent nature lovers and self reliant thrive here !

Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,238,765 times
We get it - you like it here. However, some of your post isn't all that accurate.

First of all, you admittedly came here with your NY salary. In many industries, a NY salary is FAR higher than a comparable AZ salary, for reasons which include the significantly higher cost of living in parts of NY. The unemployment rate in NY is also lower than it is in AZ, which means it's easier to find a job there. Contrary to what you claim, there ARE some college educated people who are not "doing fine" here.

Secondly, the way you phrase that those who prefer "artsy fartsy stuff while being in need of others to entertain you" and "those who are needy and sedentary are going to be miserable here", is misleading at best and grossly inaccurate at worst. People who prefer spending their free time at museums, for example, (which doesn't require anyone to "entertain you"), can see most of what Phoenix has to offer on that front over a two or three day period, whereas you couldn't get through all the exhibits at the Museum of Natural History alone in one weekend. That also doesn't equate to being either "needy" and/or sedentary. For the record, here too there are some who are not independent and still like it here.

AZ offers many positive things to many people and as you claim, even more for those who like nature and the great outdoors. However, to compare what AZ offers to what NY offers is like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,607,251 times
The term "self-reliant" needs to be clarified.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 AM

701 posts, read 1,098,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
The Desert of the Damned! | Arizona Sucks

"The job market sucks." If you are college educated and/or offer a unique set of skills as a tradesman, you can do fine here.
Well, the thing is, if you are college educated, with an advanced degree in a technical field, you still might end up working as a tradesman. Not that there is anything wrong with being a tradesman. It's just that most people don't go through the effort and expense of getting an advanced degree in a technical field to compete for jobs that typically require an associates and pay accordingly. So yes, you can "do fine," and pay your bills and get by, and many people are perfectly happy working at jobs they're overqualified for. It's just that a lot of college-educated people move to the 6th biggest city in the US hoping to do a little better than "fine."

Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM

29 posts, read 58,411 times
So are you trying to say any of us that are "unskilled" wont make it in the desert?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM

517 posts, read 1,706,422 times
That blog is the most ridiculous thing I ever read. There's not a grain of truth in anything written there, at least not from my experience. I can see faults with Arizona along with the plus points, but I'm amazed someone could even write that many words dissing Arizona haha. People come here knowing what they're going to get. It has a different set of attractions from other states. I've found the majority of people here extremely warm and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona