Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:38 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,653,530 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Oregon a little over two years ago and I'm still amazed at this place. You know that feeling you get when you go somewhere that you think is cool? The feeling you get while on vacation? Like you want to stay permanently but you know in deep down it would get tiresome if you lived there? Well, I had that feeling when I first moved here like I was on holiday but I always knew that feeling would probably go away in short order after living here for some time. Well, this place still gives me that "I'm on vacation" feeling.
I've ridden motorcycles since I was a kid but living in Oregon for so many years where it rains constantly for 9+ months a year, I just had either dirt bikes or quads. Well, after moving here, I bought a street bike so I could check out all of Arizona.
I've taken several day trips. Mesa to Globe, on to Winkleman and then back home through Superior to Mesa. I've done the Roosevelt loop. Mesa to Globe to Punkin Center over to Beeline Hwy and back to Mesa. I took a ride past Payson and into Strawberry and I've taken a few other rides. All great trips but nothing that took my breath away. Then last week myself and two others took a ride from Mesa, through Payson and out to Camp Verde. We got a room in Camp Verde and then headed up to Jerome. Jerome was very cool. Lots of little shops and a very historical place. As we were leaving, I wanted to check out the Hotel that is on the street above the main drag. As it turns out, the road took us to the top of the mountain overlooking the Sedona valley. WOW! The views were stunning. I didn't think I'd see anything better than that on our trip but I was wrong. We headed back to our room for the night. I am going to give the Super 8 in Camp Verde a plug here. Three people, two beds, in room coffee pot, small refer and microwave and beautiful views of the valley, all for around $70.00. The motel was spotlessly clean, well run and the staff was attentive and very helpful. For a cheap motel, I couldn't have been happier.
Remember that I said that I thought I wouldn't see anything better on this trip and that I was wrong? We pack our bikes and are on the road by 9:00 am headed to Sedona. STUPENDOUS. The city of Sedona is just another city to me but the area, incredible. The red mountains of Sedona are spectacular. We rode through Sedona, through the mountains and finally ended up going through Oak Creek Canyon. I don't have words to describe the experience. What a beautiful area. It has everything. High desert terrain, foothills with hints of things to come, pine covered forests, incredible mountain vistas, cool rivers and so much more. We even took the road up toward Flagstaff. The back road. I think it's 89A. I'm running out of words to say how cool this ride was but hopefully you can sense my excitement. I just have a cheapy camera so the pictures don't come close to doing these places any justice.
Anyway, my whole point of these stories is to say that I still get that "I'm on vacation" feeling even though I've lived here for well over two years now. This place still amazes me and I still haven't seen but a small part of this wonderful state. People conjure up all kinds of fantasies about the old west when you say you're an Arizonan.
What an incredible state we live in and how proud and excited I am to say that I live in ARIZONA.
Attached Thumbnails
Scenic views-sany2319.jpg   Scenic views-sany2315.jpg   Scenic views-sany2328.jpg   Scenic views-sany2289.jpg   Scenic views-sany2293.jpg  

Scenic views-sany2305.jpg  

Last edited by maverick974; 11-18-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,625,529 times
Thanks for sharing! Those are awesome pics. Yes, I agree, we have some wonderful views of mother nature here in Arizona. We go camping in Sedona, and hiking. The red rocks are beautiful. A drive through Oak Creek canyon in the fall is breathtaking.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,952,049 times
60 to Wickenburg, 89 to Jerome and on to Prescott. Take 89A to Sedona, then continue up to Flagstaff via Oak Creek Canyon. Definitely one of my favorite drives.

Though back in September, I went the other way up to Flagstaff. From Apache Junction, I took the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Lake (not motorcycle friendly -- 25 miles of gravel, with very steep cliffs!). Took 188 / 88 to Payson, then continued up through Strawberry. I decided I wanted to take 2 lane roads all the way to Flag, so I continued north and east, and found myself on Lake Mary Road. The whole drive was nice, wide 2 lanes through beautiful pine forests. And then, I reached Mormon Lake. Words cannot describe it. The road came round a bend, and the woods broke into an open field, filled with bright yellow flowers. On the horizon was the shimmer from Mormon Lake. A herd of elk was in the distance, grazing in the field. The sun was high in the air, and the weather was absolutely perfect. I immediately pulled off the side of the road, jumped out of the car, and just stood there. For a good 5-10 minutes, I was just speechless. Other drivers were doing the same.

Was definitely one of the most awe-inspiring views I've seen in my life.

EDIT:

Cell phone pictures really don't do it justice, but here we go --

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM

122 posts, read 273,518 times
Great thread! Arizona is full of stunning views. If you're looking for an out of the way trek, take the Mount Lemmon road out of Oracle to -- you guessed it -- Mt Lemmon. It's mostly a dirt road, definitely not for low clearance cars (although you'll see some) and I wouldn't recommend cycles. Even with decent clearance, you'll crawl through some sections. Go when the weather is temperate, no storms are forecast, and still take plenty of water, some food, and a blanket or two just in case. From Summerhaven at the top, there's a paved road down to Tucson which comes out on Tanque Verde. Sorry, I don't have any pictures...

It's slow going, but if we started early, we'd follow the drive with dinner at either the Gaslight Theatre or Li'l Abner's.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,740,794 times
Thanks for sharing your experience and enthusiasm! I have been fortunate to live here for 15 years and when I'm at the "I want to move away" stage (needing a break from the city!) a simple foray into the Arizona wilderness helps soothe my mind and spirit. I never get tired of exploring this state.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 21,840 times
Beautiful pictures!!!

We stopped at Mormon Lake and saw a HUGE herd of elk grazing or doing whatever it is that they do. Since my husband and I moved to Phoenix a few years ago, we've made a point of exploring the whole state by car. There is so much to see in this state, we are grateful to live here. We miss Michigan's beautiful scenery too, but our aging bones appreciate the wonderful climate coupled with the unique scenery!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:39 PM

106 posts, read 247,289 times
I also went up to Payson and onward to Camp Verde coming from Tempe. It was breathtaking to watch as all the desert and cacti were replaced with thick lush green grass and Ponderosa Pine trees. Payson itself is not the most gorgeous city, but it still has a clear cultural intrigue. Camp Verde is a cool town heavily controlled by the Rez, also super cultural.

Additionally, I got to see Beaver Creek, about 20 miles south of Sedona. GORGEOUS!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,952,049 times
Speaking of "south of Sedona", take 89A out of town, heading towards Cottonwood. Turn left onto Upper Red Rock Loop (if you miss it, you can turn onto the Lower Loop, it's just a farther drive). Turn left again onto Chavez Ranch Rd. 3rd right onto Red Rock Crossing Rd. (All the signs are small and easy to miss, but this will put you in a small state park). Admission isn't much, and it goes to park maintenance, so I gladly paid. Most important piece of advice, though, is to time this trip well. You want to arrive about 30 minutes before sunset. (If you show up earlier, go play around in the creek!)

Again, cell phone pictures just don't do it justice... but the setting sun lights up the rock, in front of a grassy field with an old mill.

And the view from the creek (just follow the sidewalk. You'll see the path down to the creek).

Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,082,109 times
being a long-time Arizona resident, I'm lucky to have been able to see most of the great views in the state....still one of the top spots for me is the view off the Mogollon Rim near AZ 260 or in other spots along the rim.....it's the actual edge of the vast Colorado Plateau which covers several states.....so popular that the Forest Service has put camping and other restrictions in place in recent years....to me, one of the great views in the West.....

Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,524,284 times
I've been here almost a year and a half and I'm still in awe of the beauty here, even on the same route I drive almost daily.

I love the pics of the lake and the area near Sedona. I'm adding both of them to my list of places to visit this coming year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona