Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM

833 posts, read 1,717,092 times

Advertisements

[threads merged/posts deleted] I think it will pass the next time it is on the ballot.

When I was at the Pima County Fair this last spring I saw people trying to get signatures in support of legalizing it. Considering I hadn't heard it was going to be on the ballot I was rather surprised. Turns out they were working for the 2016 election cycle, so they are doing everything they can to make sure it is a solid proposition.

I think the money jamies mentioned will play a big role. The stigma of pot seems to be fading and America is fond of sin-taxes; I think this will become the next hot thing to legalize so a subset of the population can pay for things we all use since raising taxes on the general population is political suicide.

Last edited by observer53; 11-06-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,181,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There a laws against driving while impaired on the books that are enforced. Oddly enough whenever I read about a DUI or DWI it's alcohol that's involved. Sort of like people high on weed never start fights at bars and sporting events or beat their wives and kids. But, hey, let's not talk about alcohol. Let's just keep up with Reefer Madness era paranoia despite all proof to the contrary.
Agreed. As long as existing laws against driving while impaired are enforced, there should be no problem. One can be impaired by legal meds as well, but alcohol always seems to be the substance involved with the wrong way driving accidents, etc.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:38 PM

10,775 posts, read 23,927,567 times
ARIZONA VOTERS ABOUT 50-50 ON MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION

AZ Voters Split on Marijuana Legalization | Phoenix New Times

Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times
I'm all for legalizing it. This is 'Murica, right? I really like that there is a 15% tax that is going to education according to that source you quoted. At least it isn't to prisons...

Old 12-03-2015, 06:39 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,957,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazk14 View Post
how about you don't break the law?
How about the punishment fitting the crime? You really think getting caught with a small amount of weed is on the same level as murder rape assault? They are all in the same category as felonies with regard to employment or housing opportunities. That is just plain wrong.

When someone who is 26 cannot get a decent job or apartment because she got caught with a joint when she was 18 that is a real crime.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
How about the punishment fitting the crime? You really think getting caught with a small amount of weed is on the same level as murder rape assault? They are all in the same category as felonies with regard to employment or housing opportunities. That is just plain wrong.

When someone who is 26 cannot get a decent job or apartment because she got caught with a joint when she was 18 that is a real crime.
I'm a little surprised but good point!

Why do we punish the growing of a plant and doing what we want with it? Who cares? It's a harmless offense to sit at home on your day off, get blazed and watch some movies with some friends/spouse. In fact, SWIM told me it's a lot of fun and a good way to decompress

A lot of my clients are regular smokers, some even break it down by strain and have preferences. I'm talking white collar professionals. It's like craft beer without the beer gut.

No stoned person went out and harmed somebody.

And then there's this counter argument: why not make heroin legal?

First, it being illegal apparently never stopped anybody, second if you want to do that if its legal that's your perogative but I bet it's easier to get it illegally anyway.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:40 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,445,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
. I'm talking white collar professionals..
Yep, they smoke pot. Don't let looks fool you. I always had long hair, never smoked pot or did any drugs.
But in many peoples mind I was a druggie......

Good thing other peoples false opinions are nothing to me.
Opinions are like farts, everybody is full of them.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:36 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,401,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctacity View Post
Marijuana is a tricky issue, because while it leans towards the democratic party, it isn't exactly something that's a democratic or republican issue, so it's possible that AZ could be on the list of states awaiting the legalization of pot. But I would be surprised if the issue made it to the ballot by 2014, 2016 sounds more likely.
Many of the "Republicans" in AZ are actually Libertarians. In fact, many of the "moderate Dems" are also Libertarian but don't know it. It could actually pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Marijiana does not need to be legalized here. Save that for Colorado, Washington, and California. It's bad enough to have to deal with second hand smoke from cigarettes. I don't need to be getting high from secondhand smoke going into Fry's, causing me to by up a bunch of extra food I don't need.

Colorado still has it's black market for marijuana. Due to the taxes the state levies, it is still cheaper to buy from Joe around the corner.

It's sad that people feel they need weed to get through life. Exercise, play with your kids or pets, try a new restaurant. Don't become a dope fiend.

No to weed in AZ.
Legalizing Marijuana isn't about making people into dope fiends, it's about being able to provide some parity for a substance that, while sometimes abused, has offered some tremendous benefits to people in extreme pain, people going through chemotherapy, and people with cancer. In fact, there are many new strains (Charlotte's Web is one) that have little to no THC, so there is no "high" associated with it, only healing properties. They call it that because they use it a lot in Children's cancer hospitals.

new2Col, if you are REALLY getting THAT high from second hand marijuana smoke, you're standing too close. And it sounds like you're looking for an excuse for all that extra food you're buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
[note: threads merged] First, Colorado and Washington. Now, DC, Alaska and Oregon. Since AZ voters lean libertarian, and the state has a ballot initiative option... is AZ next??
Probably. The politics in the early 30's that led to where we are with this very broken system were pretty dirty. A lot of brainwashing and media hype. There are laws about being "impaired to the slightest degree" in Arizona, so we don't even need new laws to control use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The people that smoke already do so. Driving while impaired laws won't change. This point is moot.
bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There a laws against driving while impaired on the books that are enforced. Oddly enough whenever I read about a DUI or DWI it's alcohol that's involved. Sort of like people high on weed never start fights at bars and sporting events or beat their wives and kids. But, hey, let's not talk about alcohol. Let's just keep up with Reefer Madness era paranoia despite all proof to the contrary.
You'll like the post I wrote in the Maryland Forum about this same topic -- some good links
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post41923442

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post

agree completely.

Look, guys, the benefits of pain relief and the use of CBD (cannabis sativa) oil can far outweigh the downsides of some stoners getting their weed a little easier. There have been several studies that show when penalties for weed went up, people turned to ecstasy and crystal meth. Personally, I'd rather deal with a person on marijuana... they're easier to distract and they run funny.

I watched two people I loved very much suffer through chemo and the aftermath, then through extreme morphine for one and extreme god-knows-what injections for the other. When medical marijuana was approved and prescribed, the pain lessened enough that they could both live out the end of their lives in peace. I really don't care if some people game the system. Hell, there are cheaters everywhere who game everything they can. Those people think they are winning, but they are just hurting themselves. As for the people who benefit from MMJ for pain, depression, anxiety, chemo, or whatever it is they need to make it through their lives - God Bless'em. As has been pointed out for pages, the stoners aren't out murdering grandmas... But there is serious research and data to show that nearly every one of those mass shooters was on some form of Big Pharma Anti-depressant... Give'em weed and maybe they'll stay home and count dust bunnies instead. Just a thought.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:08 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,265,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Look, guys, the benefits of pain relief and the use of CBD (cannabis sativa) oil
CBD is simply a compound, cannabidiol. It's available in many strains, not just in sativas.

That said, I agree with your post, 110%

Old 12-06-2015, 12:30 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,401,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
CBD is simply a compound, cannabidiol. It's available in many strains, not just in sativas.

That said, I agree with your post, 110%
Yes - you are absolutely right. What I was thinking of when I wrote that was Charlotte's Web, which is often made from cannabis sativa. The research on non-psycho-active CBD is very exciting. What is CBD (Cannabidiol) | Cannabis Sativa | CannabisSativa.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona