Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your personal pick for Governor?
Doug Ducey (Republican) 18 36.00%
Fred DuVal (Democrat) 23 46.00%
Barry Hess (Libertarian) 9 18.00%
John Mealer (Americans Elect) 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:55 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have my ballot but haven't yet decided. I need to do more reading on the candidates first. I do NOT listen to the ads on TV.
I was undecided until about two weeks ago. I've decided that I'm definitely not voting for DuVal because he wants to spend more on public schools, and restore all day Kindergarten. He sounds like he would be another Janet Napolitano. If you recall, Napolitano helped push the state to near bankruptcy with all her spending, mandated that the speed cameras be installed on the freeways (which was a money losing deal in the end), and then conveniently abandoned her position as Governor when things were looking gloomy in the state, and Obama had a job for her in his administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
One thing I noticed, and find it a little unreal...our state reps only make $24,000 a year?? Prop 304 wants to raise that to $35,000? Why are they paid so little for the job they (supposedly) do? Is this in addition to other income they have? Another job? I can't believe they don't make more than I do!
They don't deserve a raise. Being a Legislator is basically a part time job ... and nearly all of them either have other jobs on the side, are retired, or are living on investment incomes. All many of them do as Legislators is try to push through idiotic legislation that puts more government intervention in people's lives (example: SB 1060).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What choice? A semi-gun hating democrat or a gay hating republican?
You have two other choices besides them ... namely, Barry Hess. He is pro gun rights, and doesn't give a rat's rump about what consenting adults do in their personal lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Don't forget Ted Cruz too. He seems to run with the most radical of the baggers. Just what we don't need. AZ desperately needs moderation, not polarization.
Ill swap Ducey for jail-bait Blagojevich or Rahm Emanuel from IL.

*crickets chirping*

Anyone? Anyone? No?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,917,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Politicians tend not to respond unless you've donated money or are asking a softball question that isn't critical.

The only success I've had in getting responses to my concerns and/or questions has been at the local level. Here in Phoenix, I've reached out to David Cavazos, Sal DiCiccio, Daniel Valenzuela and Michael Nowakowski. The latter two blew me off but Cavazos and DiCiccio both reached out.

At the state level I've had no success. I called Katie Hobbs' office twice and sent her an e-mail twice regarding an issue and she elected not to respond. Contacted Eddie Farnsworth, no response. Sent an e-mail to my 3 reps when I lived in north Phoenix about an issue and received generic form letter e-mails as a response with no response to my actual question.

Only use the voter guide as a reference for names. Follow the votes at Arizona State Legislature to see how your representatives vote.
Well, that answers that question, I guess. I don't donate to any person or party.

I talked to my cousin about some of this. She was assistant to Sen. Meg Burton-Cahill (D) until they both retired in 2011. She said they always did their best to respond to anyone who contacted their office even when Cahill was just a Rep.. No matter how trivial it seemed to be.

Thanks for that link. I will make good use of it! I'm always interested in how our reps/senators/etc vote!
My 'issues' won't have anything to do with Phoenix or Maricopa County but definitely the state!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
My limited experience with getting responses from legislators suggests that they check your party registration before they respond, or at least it seems that way. If they think they are unlikely to get your vote anyway, there's always some lobbyist to meet with instead.
Pretty narrow minded huh? I'm registered Democrat but basically I'm really Independent. I think it 'might' have changed but as a registered Independent I wasn't allowed to vote in primaries so I decided to go Dem..

I've taken some of those silly tests online and they all say I am a conservative leaning liberal. lol There are a LOT of things in both parties I don't agree with but I know, for sure, I'm a fiscal conservative and always have been. And I don't give a rats patoot who marries who either!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I was undecided until about two weeks ago. I've decided that I'm definitely not voting for DuVal because he wants to spend more on public schools, and restore all day Kindergarten. He sounds like he would be another Janet Napolitano. If you recall, Napolitano helped push the state to near bankruptcy with all her spending, mandated that the speed cameras be installed on the freeways (which was a money losing deal in the end), and then conveniently abandoned her position as Governor when things were looking gloomy in the state, and Obama had a job for her in his administration.

They don't deserve a raise. Being a Legislator is basically a part time job ... and nearly all of them either have other jobs on the side, are retired, or are living on investment incomes. All many of them do as Legislators is try to push through idiotic legislation that puts more government intervention in people's lives (example: SB 1060).

You have two other choices besides them ... namely, Barry Hess. He is pro gun rights, and doesn't give a rat's rump about what consenting adults do in their personal lives.
I'm not crazy about any of our gubernatorial options. I would actually like to see our schools be better but don't know if it takes money, more dedicated teachers that we already have, or what. Yeah those speed cameras WERE a losing proposition except that they DID get some money out of me! lol In Prescott Valley though, not Phoenix. Losing prop for ME! I didn't even realize I was going over the limit. Anyway...yeah I remember when Janet left and, honestly, I might too for a better job. It just looked bad because we WERE in "gloomy" times.

Okay, now I understand better about the reps and what they do/don't do. I'll keep it in mind, for sure.

I'll check out Barry Hess. I am not against guns and I don't care what people do in their personal lives either. I DO wish there was a way to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and criminals but don't see any solution to all that. Criminals will have guns when the law abiding folks don't and I've always known that. So, what to do?

Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,962,966 times
I like Barry Hess too. Too bad he doesn't stand a chance.

I think we are all sick of the two party extremist system.

And thanks to whoever posted the comment about political hacks ignoring their public.

If I should run for local office I'd see every legit contact received a response. Something else I'd do is hold a weekly "lunch with Jamie" where people could personally tell me to go to --- or get answers and express opinions.

I don't know why all politicians don't do something like that. I understand there are logisticts and that local is different from state or national due to numbers. But really, is there that many people who want to bend the ear of a state rep? I doubt it.

As for guns, there are laws to keep unstable people from buying them. They just need to be enforced properly. A statistic I heard, of 70,000 attempts by felons to buy guns over like a five year period, only three were prosecuted

Old 10-15-2014, 01:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Let's leave the pejorative terms for candidates and for groups of voters out of the discussion. It is possible to have a lively and interesting discussion without them.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
I'm for Duval all the way, he's a moderate democrat who would be a good blockage against all the right-wing sewage coming from the legislature.

I will also be voting against 304 to raise their salaries, those clowns don't deserve any kind of increase until they start representing the majority of citizens instead of special interests or lobbyists.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,463 times
"I was undecided until about two weeks ago. I've decided that I'm definitely not voting for DuVal because he wants to spend more on public schools, and restore all day Kindergarten."-valley native

So investing in education is a deal breaker for you?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
I never understood why some people think raising the pay of elected officials will bring in better candidates. I want a person that is already successful in their life and doesn't need the money.

My state reps have their home phone number on their business cards. I see them just about everywhere I go so at least in my district they are available.

Spending on education will always be a sore spot with voters in Arizona, since the court has ruled illegals have a right to an education, the number of separate districts, Spanish centric anything, and many other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona