Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your personal pick for Governor?
Doug Ducey (Republican) 18 36.00%
Fred DuVal (Democrat) 23 46.00%
Barry Hess (Libertarian) 9 18.00%
John Mealer (Americans Elect) 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I know three school teachers, two of whom live in studio apartments, who can barely survive on a teachers salary in Arizona. It seems foolish to think we can attract more good people to teach our youth while they have to live on the poverty line while doing so.
Arizona is 32nd in average teacher salary. It may the highest ranking we get in anything to do with education. I think we are in the 40's in everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:45 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I know three school teachers, two of whom live in studio apartments, who can barely survive on a teachers salary in Arizona. It seems foolish to think we can attract more good people to teach our youth while they have to live on the poverty line while doing so.
Is it their wages or spending/saving habits? I know two teachers who teach at Phoenix public schools and both are home owners and doing fine.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,970,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Hate to bring this up but we elected a 'moderate' Democrat governor Hickenlooper in 2010 for Colorado, and look where it got us into. Be careful what you wish for. As a future resident in 15 months, I hope the same thing doesn't happen in the fine state of AZ.

Barry Hess would be a good candidate to vote for, but not sure what he stands for. Doug Ducey looks ok.
My issue with Ducey is that he has spent more money on his campaign (personally) then he would ever return in the Salary for AZ Governor. What is the motivation?

Strong business sense doesn't account for bad investments.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,692 times
Seriously? Teacher salaries are a topic of debate here? My wife was a high-school teacher when we met. Then we lived in Germany for a few years and she made $70/hour teaching business English there and high schools were falling over themselves to get her as English teacher at 60-70k p.a. This was 10-15 years back. When we moved to AZ the first thing I told her was to forget about working as a teacher here. At the prevailing salaries, education and work requirements you have to be seriously math challenged to become a teacher in Arizona. (And then you are supposed to teach math to our kids???) It is so not worth it to become a teacher in Arizona - the costs associated with this employment (student loans, transportation, child care etc.) far outweigh the income. One of the best decisions my wife ever made for our family is to not teach here. I cannot praise here enough for this. I think that says it all for our education system and what we can (not) expect from it. Better keep your expectations low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona