Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your personal pick for Governor?
Doug Ducey (Republican) 18 36.00%
Fred DuVal (Democrat) 23 46.00%
Barry Hess (Libertarian) 9 18.00%
John Mealer (Americans Elect) 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:07 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
So investing in education is a deal breaker for you?
We've "invested" record amounts in education since the creation of the Department of Education but skills are going down. Throwing more money at the problem isn't going to solve the issue. The education system, like all others, is beholden to special interests. Let's just go back to the basics. The generations that came before mine had less bells and whistles and they turned out better than my generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 01:41 PM

814 posts, read 1,154,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The generations that came before mine had less bells and whistles and they turned out better than my generation.
They also lived in a time where you could roll out of bed with next to no education and get an unskilled labor job and within ten years be set up comfortably for life.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,681,541 times
Hate to bring this up but we elected a 'moderate' Democrat governor Hickenlooper in 2010 for Colorado, and look where it got us into. Be careful what you wish for. As a future resident in 15 months, I hope the same thing doesn't happen in the fine state of AZ.

Barry Hess would be a good candidate to vote for, but not sure what he stands for. Doug Ducey looks ok.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Hate to bring this up but we elected a 'moderate' Democrat governor Hickenlooper in 2010 for Colorado, and look where it got us.
Boatloads of cash from pot tax?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,681,541 times
Nope, not that. The tax revenue is helping the state.

The gun controls, magazine bans more than 15 rounds, granting Nathan Dunlap clemency, bad mouthing the rural areas by calling them backward thinkers. Hickenlooper is anti-marijuana and says its a bad experiment. He's a weak leader overall.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:03 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
So investing in education is a deal breaker for you?
If the government is involved, and tax money is being used to "invest" (and I use that term very loosely) in education, then yes, any candidate who wants to throw more of my money away into that enormous black hole known as the public school system will lose my vote. Anybody who wants to invest in education is free to do so, but they should use their own sources to pay for it ... not other people's tax money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Spending on education will always be a sore spot with voters in Arizona, since the court has ruled illegals have a right to an education, the number of separate districts, Spanish centric anything, and many other reasons.
The funny thing is that practically every ballot proposition in which more money would be allocated to schools has passed with the majority of voters. But look at the results. In 2000, the public voted to raise sales taxes to fund education. Guess where the extra money went: administration ... not to the classrooms. People keep saying we need to fund education more, but we have already allocated a vast majority of the state budget as well as property taxes & other taxes to public schools, and nothing has improved. Throwing more money at the beast doesn't solve anything, and we have the proof of that, but the liberals just don't seem to comprehend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
We've "invested" record amounts in education since the creation of the Department of Education but skills are going down. Throwing more money at the problem isn't going to solve the issue. The education system, like all others, is beholden to special interests. Let's just go back to the basics. The generations that came before mine had less bells and whistles and they turned out better than my generation.
Absolutely! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:08 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,199,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Hate to bring this up but we elected a 'moderate' Democrat governor Hickenlooper in 2010 for Colorado, and look where it got us into. Be careful what you wish for. As a future resident in 15 months, I hope the same thing doesn't happen in the fine state of AZ.

Barry Hess would be a good candidate to vote for, but not sure what he stands for. Doug Ducey looks ok.
This has no meaning for AZ as the legislature will be a big GOP majority. We need a Democrat Governor to balance this somewhat out. In CO the legislature and governor are both DEM-(majority). Look what we got here in AZ when the governor does not stop our extremist legislature enough.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,978,654 times
I'm not wild about Ducey or DuVal. They both look like insiders to me who will further their own and their party's interests before those of AZ. I am actually leaning towards voting for Hess.

Absolutely agree with Valley Native on education. Throwing good money after bad isn't the solution. We need to take a fresh look as to why the public school system is so bad.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Either way we end up with a better governor than we now have. I don't know where Ducey really stands because he ran to the right to win the primary but his entire education and career suggest he is a centrist - very much like Romney in 2012. Republicans have to act a fool to win primaries. DuVal did not have a primary opponent but his background suggests he is a solid centrist as well. Watching the debates on TV, neither of them has a viable plan for what ails us. Both recognize that we need to get the AZ economy back on track, but neither actually knows how to accomplish that.

The greatest threat to Arizona is the legislature that is out of touch with the voters. I doubt either of them is going to tolerate the shenanigans from the legislature that we have seen under Brewer. Ducey knows how badly our image hurts business. I will probably vote for DuVal though. He will certainly not put up with it and the legislature won't let him go crazy with spending. It's a standoff that has always worked well in Arizona.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,920,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If the government is involved, and tax money is being used to "invest" (and I use that term very loosely) in education, then yes, any candidate who wants to throw more of my money away into that enormous black hole known as the public school system will lose my vote. Anybody who wants to invest in education is free to do so, but they should use their own sources to pay for it ... not other people's tax money!

The funny thing is that practically every ballot proposition in which more money would be allocated to schools has passed with the majority of voters. But look at the results. In 2000, the public voted to raise sales taxes to fund education. Guess where the extra money went: administration ... not to the classrooms. People keep saying we need to fund education more, but we have already allocated a vast majority of the state budget as well as property taxes & other taxes to public schools, and nothing has improved. Throwing more money at the beast doesn't solve anything, and we have the proof of that, but the liberals just don't seem to comprehend.

Absolutely! I couldn't have said it better myself.
I know three school teachers, two of whom live in studio apartments, who can barely survive on a teachers salary in Arizona. It seems foolish to think we can attract more good people to teach our youth while they have to live on the poverty line while doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona