Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I would mostly agree that Arizona is not a good place to live. I lived there and it was generally an unpleasant time. My greatest dissatisfaction came from the quality of jobs in the Phoenix metro area. For a city of its size, the quality of jobs is lousy. Phoenix and Tucson were basically nothings until air conditioning became widely available. As a result, they don't have the headquarters of big legacy companies like a Procter & Gamble. New economy companies like Google didn't start in Arizona either. The few companies with corporate HQs there are not all that impressive.

With most of Arizona, the primary reasons to be there are undergrad/grad school and retirement. There's really not a great reason to be there for a lot of working age professions, unless you work in the medical field taking care of retirees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Since this seems to be a serious complaint unsuited to the tongue-in-cheek nature of this thread, I'll address it.

Google didn't start in Arizona because Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded it when they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University. Stanford has spawned countless technology companies.
Yes, I was making a serious complaint about my time living in Arizona. Phoenix was the first city that I lived in after college graduation and I was sorely underwhelmed with the way my career progressed while I was in Phoenix. The effects of living in Phoenix right after college graduation had a notable impact on my career. I left Phoenix primarily because of the subpar quality of the jobs in the region. One of the characteristics that I looked for in a post-Phoenix city was a solid base of Fortune 500 companies in the region. That metric impacts a lot of lifestyle components about a region.

The base of Fortune 500 HQs in Phoenix isn't impressive for Phoenix being the 5th largest city and 12th largest MSA in the United States.

Even Henkel/Dial, a decent company, left Scottsdale in 2017. They left Scottsdale less than a decade after building a new HQ at Scottsdale Rd and Loop 101, tearing up pristine desert land and contributing to the urban heat island effect.

You gave a good reason why Google didn't start here. Maybe we should try to answer why Arizona State and University of Arizona are not producing graduates who are leading new economy companies or getting companies from California to relocate to Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
One of the best posts in this thread to quantify how terribleâ„¢️ Arizona is of late.
Thank you. What Arizona is saddens me! I think it could be a decent place to live if the population were scaled back a bit. I think Arizona hit its equilibrium in the 1980s. Moderate population, low to moderate job quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 03:52 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
The effects of living in Phoenix right after college graduation had a notable impact on my career.
Yep, Arizona, ruining careers since 1912!

Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Just think they actually have ski resorts in Arizona. It just depends on the part of Arizona you are in, as to the type of weather you will have.

Ski Resorts Arizona | SkiCentral.com

Old 03-12-2018, 06:52 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Heck, the whole reason I moved back to Arizona was to ruin my career.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Heck, the whole reason I moved back to Arizona was to ruin my career.
Most likely, within the next centennial, Arizona will completely lay waste to most (if not all) careers which were birthed within its borders.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
You gave a good reason why Google didn't start here. Maybe we should try to answer why Arizona State and University of Arizona are not producing graduates who are leading new economy companies or getting companies from California to relocate to Arizona.
That is because we are a bunch of under-educated rubes who know nothing about that new-fangled technology. We have more than enough Californians and really don't need anymore. Although they are pretty funny to talk about...going everywhere in their Active Wear and fuzzy slippers.

Haven't you heard we have the worst school system in the nation? Stay away or we'll ruin everyone's careers!!!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Apparently we have Drunk Brides out there causing accidents as well...

Seriously, I don't know why people keep moving here.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
She must have had reservations about saying yes. Or something???

Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Apparently we have Drunk Brides out there causing accidents as well...

Seriously, I don't know why people keep moving here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
She must have had reservations about saying yes. Or something???
Inebriated brides are becoming the norm all across Arizona. It's yet another sign of the unbridled collapse of the 48th state.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 PM

97 posts, read 135,448 times
Sounds great! Thanks for the info! Meeting with a realtor soon to find my home and relocating ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona