Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:46 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,681,541 times

Advertisements

Does it have to be designated as an interstate? Why not make it a 4 lane US highway, would it be cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:37 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,409,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
And besides that where would you put it? Any plausible location is already built up, or cuts near the Foothills which won't have any of it. At this point Tucson would be better off expanding public transit and dealing with what they have.
The only place left to try and put a crosstown Tucson freeway in, is to deck the Rillito River, it's the only place left with cheap right-of-way. It'll never happen, but every now and then you hear someone throw that idea out again.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I don't like the proposal of the I-11 in Arizona at all. I think the I-11 should run a bit closer to Phoenix (not through it but closer) and the proposed extension is a complete waste since it would be pretty much running along the I-10. I think the I-11 should take over the route from the greater Phoenix area down through Ajo and into Mexico that way. Arizonans would use that to get to Rocky Point and it would still serve the purpose of one continuous freeway between Canada and Mexico. also it would be less land to cover, so it'll be cheaper.
From what I read, they are thinking of bringing I-11 straight south near Morristown and go on the west side of the White Tank Mountains, tie it into AZ-85, upgrade AZ-85 to get I-11 over the Gila River and the mountains, then branch off before the state prison and build a brand new highway southeast to Casa Grande.

I like the idea of converting AZ-85 into I-11 all the way to Lukeville, it's just that the infrastructure in both Mexico and the US is already in place at Nogales for it being the major port of entry for all that truck traffic.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM

6,314 posts, read 6,880,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They should had it run down Grand from Wickenburg to Central Phoenix with an interchange at I-17 and Encanto Blvd, since Grand was supposed to be upgraded to a freeway in the original 85 plan
Grand would've made an amazing freeway, it's too late now though.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
From what I read, they are thinking of bringing I-11 straight south near Morristown and go on the west side of the White Tank Mountains, tie it into AZ-85, upgrade AZ-85 to get I-11 over the Gila River and the mountains, then branch off before the state prison and build a brand new highway southeast to Casa Grande.

I like the idea of converting AZ-85 into I-11 all the way to Lukeville, it's just that the infrastructure in both Mexico and the US is already in place at Nogales for it being the major port of entry for all that truck traffic.
Oh Morristown? It appeared to be further West then that, that's good actually.

I still think it's dumb to go SE towards Casa Grande and then towards the I-19. It goes through a lot of reservation (which costs a lot more money) and Nogales is a major port of entry yes but I have heard Mexico is working on building up Puerto Penasco. For an example they are allowing cruise ships to go there now. It could be a cargo port, which would support a freeway towards Lukeville where one doesn't already exist. Puerto Penasco could be something.

If they really want to go to Nogales then they should just make it join the I-10 near Buckeye. I still don't see the point of an entire Interstate run through nothing along the corridor of another major Interstate to just get to the same place.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Oh Morristown? It appeared to be further West then that, that's good actually.

I still think it's dumb to go SE towards Casa Grande and then towards the I-19. It goes through a lot of reservation (which costs a lot more money) and Nogales is a major port of entry yes but I have heard Mexico is working on building up Puerto Penasco. For an example they are allowing cruise ships to go there now. It could be a cargo port, which would support a freeway towards Lukeville where one doesn't already exist. Puerto Penasco could be something.
They could always change their mind about Morristown, and branch if off further west near Wickenburg, but in either case I think they are trying to aim to tie it into AZ-85 at I-10. As for the Indian Reservations, if they do the southeast shot from the prison to Casa Grande, they are planning on avoiding the Reservations (Gila River and Ak-Chin) and the Sonoran Desert National Monument by going east of Mobile but around the tribal land and south of Ak-Chin Indian Community near Maricopa.

I heard about the cruise ships to Puetro Penasco, which is great, but that could mean many things, are we talking the huge mega cruise ships with 1,000s of people or the smaller 150-200 ships or something in betwen? The port would have to be pretty deep to be able to dock those huge cargo ships from China, plus it's probably just cheaper to dock in Long Beach, CA and offload there instead of going all the way around and up the Sea of Cortez.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,605,477 times
Quote:
LOL.

First of all there are two roads that run east west that would accurately serve Tucson... Speedway and Broadway. Speedway is the only road that runs through the Tucson mountains and could best serve a number of people. However Speedway will never develop because Tucson's #1 money maker lies along that road, University of Arizona, which some of that would have to be torn up by public domain to put in a freeway. Not gonna happen. Broadway on the other hand doesn't go through the mountains but goes pretty Far East as well. Broadway will never develop because it cuts through the heart of Downtown, and I don't recall a city ever tearing up their Downtown to put in a freeway. So that's not going to happen.

But, Speedway and Broadway suck if you have to go to the east side of town. Both are slow go roads with a million lights.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
But, Speedway and Broadway suck if you have to go to the east side of town. Both are slow go roads with a million lights.
Yes but they will never be more than what they are now.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,605,477 times
Quote:
Yes but they will never be more than what they are now.
So, an E-W Freeway is really needed. I don't foresee Tucson approving one anytime soon but it really is needed.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,000,450 times
Yall southern flatlanders just need to stay outta No. Arizona, or pay us a toll. Especially the Mexican trucks. We don't need your traffic and pollution.

They'd be better to add a lane to the existing roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona